Postings by Alanna's Family

GO!

Food & Nutrition > I need...

Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:37pm PST 
I agree, Hadley. I keep Alanna at a thing weight because of a medical problem she has (genetic predisposition towards carrying too much fat in her blood) and most people think I’m starving her! I use coconut oil on my dogs whenever they get a flea or other insect bite. I’ve never actually given it to them internally. Rice is not at all bad for dogs. It’s not like you are feeding her Twinkies! Rice is high in manganese, which increases energy and is a powerful antioxidant. There are a few nuts that can kill a dog in large amounts, so I don’t recommend giving a dog nuts as part of their daily diet. Rice helps put lean weight on a dog, not fat. Beef heart is very nutritious, too. Carbohydrates are not bad for dogs. They are a source of easily obtained energy. By the way, humans NEED carbohydrates in their diet for muscle tissue.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 18 6:06 am

Food & Nutrition > Need help deciding on a food?
Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:27pm PST 
My dogs eat a prescription diet, but as far as non-script brands go, I like Dogswell. Taste of the Wild is also a good quality food. A lot of people swear by TOTW. But, if I were going to feed a non-script food, it would have to be Dogswell. Before Alanna needed to be put on Hill’s I/D (too much fat in her blood), I had her and Gabriella on Dogswell. They did great on it, other than Alanna’s problem. I fed Dogswell canned with some freeze-dried sprinkled on top. However, the vet did say that Alanna’s problem was not diet-related and was something she was born with. Check out Dogswell. It’s a very good quality food and I can personally recommend it. It might be a good idea to have your dogs checked out by a vet, especially if one is not eating and smelling bad. The vet may suggest a prescription diet, which I have found to be the best food ever!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 5:01 am

Food & Nutrition > Can Somebody do the Math? How Much to Feed These Doggies?

Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:22pm PST 
If she is a good weight, then there is no reason to increase her feed. Some dogs just love food. I wouldn’t worry unless she is underweight. Alanna eats very fast like that, too. Both her and Gabriella only get ½ cup per day. Alanna has always been this way. Gabriella eats at more of a normal pace. Some dogs are just pigs. You are lucky, as Alanna will get right in Gabriella’s face and try to steal her food! At 50 lbs your dog should be eating about 3 cups per day, or 1 ½ cup in the AM and 1 ½ cup in the PM. At 60 lbs, they should be getting about 3 ½ cups per day. So, maybe do 3 ¼ cups per day, each. Or just stick with 3 cups, since they are getting a little extra. It sounds like you are feeding them very little for their weight.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Ikan, Dec 21 10:23 am

Food & Nutrition > I need...

Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:16pm PST 
Here is a good recipe for your dog:

1-pound chicken breast
1-pound pork
1 pound chicken fat
1-cup brown rice
1-cup oatmeal
1-cup barley
1 cup white rice
1-cup soy protein
1 chicken bouillon cube

Just cook all the ingredients in water, like you would a soup. This should be very easy to digest and will help put weight on her.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 6:06 am

Food & Nutrition > What amount of kcals per cup is your super active dog on?

Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:09pm PST 
Alanna and Gabriella are both eating Hill's Prescription Diet I/D Low Fat GI dry food. It is 331 kcal/cup.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alanna, Dec 17 2:09 pm

Food & Nutrition > Pro Plan to...?
Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:05pm PST 
Dogswell makes very good food and that is what Alanna use to eat before her digestive problems started in. I now have her on Hill’s I/D.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Jan 6 7:49 am

Food & Nutrition > Liver?

Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:01pm PST 
Liver flavor means that there is some liver in it, yes. If they shouldn’t have organ meats, I would probably stay away from this food.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Alanna, Dec 17 2:01 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.