Postings by Esme's Family

GO!

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Potatoes to discourage coprophagia??

Esme

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 8:47pm PST 
Thanks for all the info and advice on homemade foods. Growing up all my dogs were fed homemade food, and I'm not sure why I didn't continue, looking back. I'm doing lots of research to make sure that I do it the best way possible within my budget and lifestyle. There is so much info out there, that it takes a bit of work to sort through it all, and real world input is greatly appreciated. Can anyone fill me in on taurine? I have more reading to do, but I'd appreciate any info.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sausage, Dec 28 7:06 pm

Hamish

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 4:18pm PST 
Thanks for the info vis a vis potatoes. Do you agree that they are at least not a bad choice as a carbohydrate in home prepared food? (cooked, obviously) What about percentages? Do you think 25% would be too much?
I appreciate that behaviour is the best place to reform, but with 6 people dealing with them it is very difficult (and frustrating!) to get everyone on exactly the same page. I will try harder....
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sausage, Dec 28 7:06 pm

Hamish

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:54pm PST 
Thanks for the info and empathy! I am striving to improve the all over quality of their diet, but I fear the behavior is deeply ingrained. As long as their is no risk, the potatoes are worth a try. I'll keep you posted!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Sausage, Dec 28 7:06 pm

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 2:13pm PST 
Two out of three of my dogs are hard-boiled poop-eaters. Especially in winter when they ar nice and crunchy. Booo! Years ago an old farmer hanging around at the Co-op suggested adding cooked potatoes to their food to curtail the behavior. My question is, are potatoes a suitable starch to add to homemade food, and has anyone had success with this?
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Sausage, Dec 28 7:06 pm

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 2:05pm PST 
Two out of three of my dogs are hard-boiled poop-eaters. Especially in winter when they ar nice and crunchy. Booo! Years ago an old farmer hanging around at the Co-op suggested adding cooked potatoes to their food to curtail the behavior. My question is, are potatoes a suitable starch to add to homemade food, and has anyone had success with this?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 3:31 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.