Postings by Mishka & Luna's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 54: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Puppy Place > Learning a Siberian Husky puppy that it isn't okay to bite.
Luna

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 2:48am PST 
I've had Luna since she was 3 weeks old. So once upon a time I was in your shoes when it comes to the biting thing. The trick I found most useful is the peanut butter game (WARNING: It can be a bit messy.) Put some peanut butter on your hand and let Jin lick the peanut butter off your hand. As long as he is licking repeat Good dog, good boy; whatever positive vocal reinforcement you use. The minute he starts to bite take the peanut butter away from him for 5 minutes or so. Then let him lick it some more. And so on and so forth. This has worked for all my foster puppies, my huskies and dachshund. Also 20 minutes of walking is not enough especially for a husky puppy. They need about an hour walk 2x a day. Or take them to the dog park for an hour.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Luna, Dec 31 2:48 am

Raw Food Diet > Blockage in small intestine... vet blames the meat... of course!
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 11:02pm PST 
I'm a veterinary technician and I feed my dogs RMBs as treats and the vets I work with frown upon it. I use to feed full time raw but things got a little tough on the hubby and I.. But when I used to feed raw never had a problem with it. Dogs are descendants from wolves so why shouldn't they eat raw? I have no idea why vets don't like pets eating raw but I think they should become more educational on the subject instead of basing their opinions on what they were trained to say and do. The rawhide is the most obvious culprit. These chewies tend to expand in the stomach and when that happens it causes blockages. Rawhides also doesn't digest at all. It gets swallowed whole and comes out whole kinda like corn does lol. But I think the vet just wanted to make you feel like crap because they don't agree with the raw feeding.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bunny, Nov 11 7:18 am

Dog Health > Jazz is having knee surgery

Jazzy

momma's little- monster, the- terrorist,

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 3:42pm PST 
Thanks natcho. So do I.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, May 19 3:42 pm

Dog Health > Jazz is having knee surgery

Jazzy

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 3:38am PST 
So my dachshund Jazz is having surgery to correct his LP. since I had heard from one of the vets I worked with that jazz has a luxating patella I had kept him from doing strenuous things to keep him from putting pressure and stress on his knee. My vet told me it was a mild case of LP. Last Sunday jazz had slipped and fell on his bad leg. And of course that had to happen a day before his recheck. My Dr said that his knee is so bad that it won't even stay in place and that he needs surgery asap. I guess that fall was so extreme to have his LP go from mild to severe in a month. His surgery is on Monday. I hope everything goes smoothly as I will be watching the surgery.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, May 19 3:42 pm

Puppy Place > Husky puppy questions!

Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 3:12am PST 
Luna was about 15 - 20 pounds when she was 3 months old. Keep in mind puppies grow fast. If you can feel her ribs but not able to see them then she is ideal weight. My huskies don't do well on BB and I have known dogs to poop a lot with that food. When it comes to a premium or high protein content food, you don't have to feed as much. My girls get about 2 1/2 cups a day and they are both full grown. So 2 cups for a 3 month old puppy may be a bit much. Not all huskies are vocal. Mishka talks all the time but Luna talks very minimal. The only time mishmash talks is when my doxie gets riled up or when she's playing with mishka.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mishka & Luna, May 19 3:12 am

Dog Health > Luxating Patellas In Dachshunds
Jazzy

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 1:02am PST 
Billy - Well the good thing about the vet I talked to is I work with him every day. I work at a 6 doctor hospital which is nice because each vet is specialized in something that I have. Dr. Snead (the doctor I have spoken to numerous times about Jazz's condition), He specializes in orthopedics and exotics, my BOSS specializes in orthopedics, reptiles, and exotic big cats (tigers, lions etc. All the other doctors have their specialties too but that's not the point.. And being a vet tech I tend to understand what is actually going on with my dogs or any of my other patients and why doctors order certain procedures to be done.

When I was talking to Dr. Snead today he explained to me that Patellar problems NEVER go away on their own nor do they resolve itself. The only time patella surgeries are actually successful is when the surgeries are being done on a patient that is still young. Jazz is fairly young. He will be turning 3 in June. Plus if no action is taken now then there's another risk that one of the cruciate ligaments that are attached to the patella can snap and that will be another surgery he needs.

Beanster - I have to disagree with you about frenchies having a more pronounced curve in femurs than dachshunds. I Have taken enough x-rays of frenchies and doxies to know who's femurs are more curved than the other. Dachshunds have more of a curve to their femurs than frenchies do. Dachshunds have short, stubby legs that are meant to carry a elongated body and that puts more stress on the dachshunds knees. Frenchies on the other hand have longer legs and a composed body. Sure they both can get LP but a frenchies structure isn't going to put more pressure and stress on the knee caps like a doxie.

The way my mindset is that I'm thinking now and for the future. I'm thinking if i can nip this in the bud then jazz can have a happy life and not having to worry about his knee. Also from what the dr. told me is that i can prevent arthritis now by doing surgery instead of waiting for the condition to progress and giving it a chance to produce arthritis. Plus it doesn't help that Jazz is "accident" prone.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, Apr 19 1:02 am

Jazzy

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 12:13am PST 
Well I've been thinking a lot since I took x-rays on him. Other breeds can have a normal life with LP because their femurs are naturally straight. Dachshunds on the other hand have a lot of curve to their femurs no thanks to breed selection. A curved femur can do a lot of harm than good in a dachshund and It's not going to get any better on its own. And when i was speaking to one of my vets today, we agreed that since he's young, we can do the surgery now and it will do more good for him now than later on in life.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, Apr 19 1:02 am

Dog Health > Right age to Neuter?

Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 11:24pm PST 
As being a Siberian Husky Owner, I think it would be a wise decision on your part to wait till your husky is a a year and a half to neuter. If you can try to wait til he is 2. My female husky Luna is a year and 3 months old. Physically she's mature but mentally she is not. She still has the puppy mentality. So Luna is still intact. She has gone through 2 heats already and we have never had an accidental breeding even though we live in a apartment complex. If we see another dog while she's in heat we walk the opposite direction and tell the other owners to keep a safe distance away from her. If you start your training now and be consistent with the training it will be easy later in life to control an intact male husky. If you wait til he's 2 to neuter, don't leave him out in the backyard for extended periods of time without supervision as you do not want him to find a way to escape. Huskies are notorious escape artists, and they are very good at it. If you leave the house for any reason, crate him. Any dog that is under the age of 6 months should not be neutered or spayed.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Samson, Apr 16 10:41 am

Dog Health > Abscess or something like it...

Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 10:53pm PST 
Abscesses usually don't go away on their own. I work in a vet clinic and see it all the time. Majority of the abscesses are from either dog fights or are anal gland abscesses and need to have surgery. I would consult with your vet again.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mishka & Luna, Apr 15 10:53 pm

Jazzy

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 10:50pm PST 
So last night after returning from the dog park my boyfriend and I had noticed that our mini wirehair dachshund Jazz was limping on his left back leg. Being a vet tech I had assessed his hind leg to find out what may be bothering him in his left hind leg. I did a toe pinch to see if he pulls his leg away. Sadly, he did not react to the toe pinch the way I would have liked him to. I also flipped his toes upside down to see if he would immediately correct his foot which he did. So that was a good sign. I brought him to my work so one of the doctors could take a look at him. He told me that Jazz's hip, femur, tibia, and fibula felt fine. But he had noticed that Jazz has a Luxating patella. I do know that Luxating patellas occur more in small dogs than large dogs. I just don't know a lot about the luxating patella besides the fact that the patella slides in and out of the knee joint. I will be taking Jazz into work with me tomorrow to do knee rads to see how severe the luxating patella is. My question is how severe does the the luxating patella need to be to have surgery on it? If its just a mild case of Luxating Patella, can Jazz live a normal life without having surgery? How can it affect him if he doesn't have surgery? Has anybody ever had a successful knee surgery for their dogs? If so please tell me about your experiences. Being that Jazz is a dachshund, we all know that they have short stubby legs, I'm wondering if the Luxating patella affects the dachshunds more than other small/toy breeds. I'm very concerned for my baby boy and hoping and praying that he doesn't have to have surgery.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, Apr 19 1:02 am

(Page 1 of 54: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.