Postings by Lola's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Dog Health > Fatal pregnancy? Need advice!
Lola

But I did it for- the family!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 11:35am PST 
I wish I had a dog! Right now I can't really afford one, plus there are already two in the house and I don't think a third one would be a good choice lol.

But I am making plans for moving up the corporate ladder and making more money, and with mo money comes mo puppies! Lol ok maybe just one pup, but not until I have moved out from my current house.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dylan aka Dilly, Nov 10 10:22 am

Lola

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 10:40am PST 
Sorry for the delay in my response, and thank you guys so much for all the advice!

As to why it isn't my decision to fix either of them, Nare guessed it, I live with roommates and although I feel like I take care of both dogs more than either of them do, neither dog is technically mine and therefore not technically my choice.

However, I wanted to be able to show your responses to my roommates, and it's working!! The owner of Lola is concerned she will get hurt and wants to get her spayed. As for now, I'll be keeping them apart when no one is around. I feel a lot better about the whole thing with the idea of keeping two doors between them.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I think that your information has made a huge impact on both roommates' opinions. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Dylan aka Dilly, Nov 10 10:22 am

Lola

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:12am PST 
Hey everyone, I need a little advice:

There are two very adorable dogs that live with me – Lola, a one-year-old AmStaff Terrier about 50 lbs. The second is Bach, a one-year-old St. Bernard weighing about 125 lbs.

The problem: Lola is going into heat and I imagine they will try to make puppies.

Neither dog is fixed, and although it would be cool if it were my decision, I don’t have the final say for either of them.

The question: Is it possible for Lola to get pregnant with puppies so large that the fetuses would kill her?

I don’t know of this is an irrational fear and nature will take it’s course, or if this is a legitimate fear.

I’ve heard a few sides – If the male dog is too big the female will naturally deny him. The larger the puppies will be, the less of them the female will have. But are these really true?

I guess I am just scared she will get hurt.

What do you guys think? Please list your sources – especially if it is something like 30+ years experience breeding dogs lol smile
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Dylan aka Dilly, Nov 10 10:22 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > The PitBull Discussion

Lola

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 11:29am PST 
I am so delighted to hear your responses! Thank you to each of you smile I think that BSL is a poor solution for a small problem. It's too bad Dogster removed the link, because one of the facts I liked the most on the pitbull info-graphic was the graph showing the percentage of pitbulls that have attacked people, in case you're curious, it's tiny, 0.00125% but I think that also has something to do with the fact that there are a ton of pitbulls in general.

Furthermore, I also agree that BSL doesn't solve the problem, people easily bypass the laws. I agree with the mantra, "Punish the deed, not the breed." Because the reality seems to be that all breeds can be made cruel. But since the pitbull has been bred to be a fighter, naturally, they tend to win most fights they get into. The trick is teaching them that there isn't a reason to fight.

Lola gets to wrestle with all of us roommates, but she won't play with anyone she doesn't know really well. Come to think of it, I don't think she has ever played rough with anyone but the three of us she is closest to. Sometimes she gets snarly in a playful way, but she knows that the second she accidentally nips too hard she is in trouble. It's been tough to teach her to play without being too rough, but I have to say that I am delighted with her progress. She is very smart, smarter than I thought she would be lol, and SUPER in-tune with my emotions. It's weird, seeing her behavior makes me have to realize my own. Example following:

One night a crazy ex-girlfriend of one of my roommates broke into our house and we came home and caught her in the act. Well, I called to make a police report and sat waiting on the porch with Lola on her leash next to me. Growing up, I lived in a small town and was harassed a few times there by the deputy, who knew me personally, which has resulted in a nervousness around police for me, but I control it well. But when the officer got there, I'm sure my blood pressure rose somewhat. Well Lola knew instantly, and she began to flip out.

It was then that I realized what it meant to own a pitbull. The sweet, docile puppy we knew was gone. It was so bizarre. I suddenly realized that I couldn't promise she wouldn't bite him. Don't get me wrong, I was fairly certain, because she had never bitten anyone before, but she had also never acted like this before.

She wasn't a big dog then, she isn't now - still under 50 lbs. But she began barking and lunging quite frantically and the officer yelled at me to control my dog. I explained that she was just an excited puppy, but he wasn't backing down and neither was she. So my roommate had to take her inside. She's always gotten VERY excited when people come over, and we have tons of friends that visit so she is always friendly and usually insists on getting right up in their laps for lovin's, and part of me thinks she just wanted to sniff him and make sure he was ok. But I also think that she immediately responded to my nervousness and decided she had to protect me. I don't know. The whole thing was weird. She still has never bitten anyone, but the only other time she's been close to a police officer she flipped out then too. She's not a rescue, we've had her since she was tiny and she has never been abused or starved and has always been socialized.... So I don't know... What do you guys think about it? Sorry for this mile-long post lol
[notify]
» There has since been 61 posts. Last posting by Mika, Feb 13 8:27 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > The PitBull Discussion

Lola

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 11:59am PST 
Hey everyone!

As some of you know, I have an adorable little pitbull named Lola. She is extremely sweet and playful and has no aggression toward people or other dogs. Basically, we've had her since she was tiny and she's been spoiled and coddled ever since lol.

Despite her regular visits to the dog park down the street, she is still a pitbull. We still face prejudice everyday. People with small dogs grab them up and glare when she comes over to sniff around and say hello. She's never bitten or been rough with a little dog, but they don't know that, and so I just let that one ride. I tell them that she is still under a year and is only trying to say hello.

Well, I wanted to see what other dog-lovers have to say.

I found this pitbull infographic (link at bottom) that brings up a ton of really good facts about the breed. I love that they show the tiny percentage of pitbulls that have fatally attacked people. Much lower percentage than other breeds. Although I don't believe this exonerates pits in any way, I do want to know what you guys think about it.

What do you think about breed legislation?

What have been your experiences with pitbulls? Sweethearts? Vicious? How were the owners?
[notify]
» There has since been 66 posts. Last posting by Mika, Feb 13 8:27 pm

Puppy Place > **UPDATE** on the orphan puppies! (pics included)
Lola

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 2:07pm PST 
Oh my gosh I want another puppy so bad!! They are so stinkin cute I can't even stand it, good luck finding homes for all those cute little buggers smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lola, Sep 13 2:07 pm

Behavior & Training > How has your dog embarrassed you in public

Lola

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 11:36am PST 
Lola is the pitbull that gets peed on.

I don't know if she just doesn't care or doesn't see it coming, but either way she gets so excited to run around with other dogs at the park that when their leg lifts, she takes advantage of the opening to get closer to them, and then gets peed on. Sigh.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by Jewel, PCD, Aug 27 8:43 am

Puppy Place > That weird paw thing

Lola

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 12:16pm PST 
Thank you guys so much for the replies! They have put my mind at ease, I figured it was just me being paranoid, but you know how that goes.... You hear a horror story of someone ignoring a simple behavior and it turns out it was some serious warning sign, and then for a few days after that you freak out about every little thing? Yeah, I do that. Lol, I promise I am trying to get it under control, my roommate is no help with not freaking out about small things. He also thinks everything is out to get Lola, he won't let her eat bugs lol. We turned into those crazy over-protective parents! (But with a puppy) lol. I'll stop rambling, hope all is well with you and your families!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lola, Jul 31 12:16 pm

Puppy Place > That weird paw thing

Lola

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 12:11pm PST 
i'm sure you've seen it, that weird way some dogs lay when they're tired and their front paws splay out in opposite directions. I always associated it with fat, unhealthy pets. So naturally, now my puppy is doing it. She can't possibly be overweight, she goes running almost everyday... So why the weird paw thing? I'll try to attach a pic of a dog doing it so you know what I mean.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/splayedpaws.jpg/][ IMG=http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/6206/splayedpaws.jpg][/IMG][/ URL]
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Lola, Jul 31 12:16 pm

Puppy Place > My Rott/GSD puppy won't stop biting/lunging!
Lola

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 1:53pm PST 
Hi Timber! Do not get discouraged! She is just a puppy still smile Some puppies take a little more time to get the no biting thing. Our puppy could do a lot of tricks at that age too, but would not come when you called her! You can't be perfect with everything lol.

Anyway, I suggest ignoring her when she bites you. Lola learned that when someone says "owwwww!" she's bitten too hard and needs to calm down. THIS IS NOT EASY TO TEACH lol. It took a lot of repetition and it was hard on me too, but I just kept doing the same thing: every time she bit me too hard (She now bites playfully with me, more like opening her mouth than biting, than she does with my roommate David - whom she bites harder when they're playing together.) I would simply turn around and quit playing with her.

Sometimes I would go do dishes, sometimes I would start talking to someone else, but either way she was suddenly alone and vying for my attention again. This seemed to work really well, I can't say it was really intentional - but it was a good lesson for us too, because it reinforced that the puppy learns a lot from what you say and more from what you do. Good luck and I hope this helped some! I know it's not perfect dog-training technique, but at least its something to consider smile
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Lenny, Jul 30 9:55 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.