Postings by Kale's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > The Wisdom Panel DNA Results...
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Oct 31, '13 7:46pm PST 
29 pounds isn't THAT small for a female sibe - Breed standard for females is 35-50, and obviously, not even all purebreds meet breed standard for size.

As far as the lying on the back to sleep, some husky people call it "Sunny Sibe Up". Kind of funny how husky people think it's a husky thing laugh out loud

Having considered it for Ace... Meh.... I get tempted, but then I worry I won't get the results I want big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rigby , Nov 5 4:42 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Anyway of Finding Out Microchip Information?
Teeko

I like big mud- and I cannot lie

Barked: Thu Oct 31, '13 6:45pm PST 
Teeko was a sad, skinny, shaved little guy, with hookworms, when he was found wandering my neighborhood. I took him in to my vet to scan for a chip, to see if he had an owner, His chip was still registered with the shelter he'd been adopted from - in good shape, just about 2 months prior. A little further research was enough to determine he was NOT going back to the owner who neglected him so very badly...

The chip is now registered in MY name. It wasn't difficult. Different chip companies have a different number of digits in their chips - one company is a nine digit number, another a 14 digit number, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised that were a similar situation, with the person who adopted the dog never having registered it, therefore, not giving it a second thought.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Duke, Dec 27 8:08 pm

Food & Nutrition > Do you add anything to your dogs kibble?

Ace

Barked: Thu Oct 31, '13 4:20pm PST 
I feed mine Taste of the Wild, and sometimes add a little raw egg, sometimes a little bit of coconut oil. Sometimes a little ACV with the coconut oil.

Maybe if I have some leftover chicken, I'll put a little bit in there, but that's not a regular thing.

If I want to keep them occupied for a little while, I might put their kibble in a kong with some peanut butter, but again, not a regular thing.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ace, Oct 31 4:20 pm

Dog Health > Heartworm - Immiticide treatment

Teeko

Barked: Thu Oct 31, '13 12:01pm PST 
Teeko was HW+ about a year ago, started on slow-kill, bad owner before me didn't keep up on preventives, and is now still high enough positive to need fast kill cry

Got his first shot, picking him up in a little while. Any suggestions on keeping a younger, active dog calm with a hyper playmate (Ace) in the house?

I stocked up on Benadryl, have a crate, and hopefully don't have to use either on Ace to get her to leave Teeko alone.

Not intending to start a debate over slow-kill vs fast-kill, since it's a done deal. It's all about the peace and quiet now, and any helpful hints anyone has.

Thanks - this whole thing has me very nervous frown
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Nov 5 10:16 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Before your dog was rescued

Teeko

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 6:31pm PST 
I know about most of Ace's life... She was in the pound on death row at four months old, when a rescue pulled her. She was with the rescue for three months before I adopted her at 7 months old. That time in rescue came in very handy for me as a first time dog owner, as she was (pretty much) housebroken and very well socialized with other dogs and people. Took her a while to get used to being an only dog, although that didn't last for very long. Two days will be two years since I got her... Time flies!

Teeko is more of a mystery, but not as much as it would have been if he hadn't been chipped. He's roughly two years old, and I've had him a little over 7 months now. He was wandering my neighborhood, and I offered to take him in overnight to find his owner, sight unseen, since a neighbor had found him and contained him, but couldn't hold him overnight. I got there to pick him up and he was in pretty sad shape, very skinny, and some idiot had shaved him. In January.

He was chipped by the shelter that had adopted him out only two months before. I was able to locate his previous foster via the shelter site, who was able to tell me he was in near perfect condition when adopted from the shelter. That was enough for all to agree he wasn't going back to his neglectful and uninformed owner. She was also able to tell me he'd been brought into the shelter from an abusive situation. Poor boy had gone from being chained, to being allowed to run free and get wormy and skinny cry But he was so sweet, so friendly, and so immediately loved by Ace that I couldn't bear to re-home him, so here he stayed. He is, if I may say so myself, pretty freakin' gorgeous now happy dance I don't know where the chainer got him, or if there was another crappy owner in the first year, if he was an oops litter, a BYB litter (probably)... Who knows, but he is where he is supposed to be now.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bridger, Aug 26 4:40 pm

Dog Health > my husky dog doesn't gain weight!! pls help!!
Teeko

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 6:11pm PST 
Teeko was 45 pounds and very thin when I got him, and was 53 at last vet visit, and those 8 pounds made a world of difference, even though he is still lean.

It's summer, huskies can be fussier about their food in the heat. If the vet says she's healthy, relax as long as she's not losing weight. She'll probably develop more of an appetite as it gets cooler.

You can try putting her on puppy food. I did that for a little while with Teeko. You might also google "satin balls" - I know some people have found them effective for putting weight on, but I never tried to make them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Teeko, Aug 25 6:11 pm

Siberian Husky > Clipping/Trimming a husky for summer

Teeko

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 12:14pm PST 
Ember... Perfect analogy with the wool sweater and athletic jacket!

Someone shaved Teeko in the winter, before I got him. I have no clue why, but the poor boy was in our swimming pool in January because he heated up so quickly.

5 months later, he's doing much better. His undercoat blow is crazy because it grew back so thick after being shaved.

He'll be fine eventually, but ...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Teeko, Jun 19 12:14 pm

Behavior & Training > Moving from a cool climate to a hot wet climate....

Ace

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 11:36am PST 
Not a morning person. Live in Houston area with huskies and a mix... Disaster? Not so much as you might think.

It's generally still in the 80s when I walk them in the morning, but still humid. I do have a good spot for a water break - lucky enough to have a refrigerated water fountain in the neighborhood. Fill a big ziploc baggie and let them all refresh, and walk a bit more.

We're usually out for an hour-90 minutes, and that wears them out sufficiently that the occasional brief zoomies in the backyard meet their exercise needs.

We make a trip to the dog park a couple times a week. Make sure they get water. They roll about in the mud and need baths, but that also helps wear them out.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dexter, Jun 20 4:34 am

Choosing the Right Dog > *****DO NOT BUY FROM KEYSTONE PUPPIES******

Teeko

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 6:34pm PST 
Bump

I have no idea if Keystone sells Siberians, but I do know I have two Sibes in my home that are likely purebred, but probably not from reputable ethical breeders, since they ended up in shelters.
[notify]
» There has since been 91 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Mar 2 11:57 am

Choosing the Right Dog > You shouldn't get a _____ if ______.
Ace

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 6:30pm PST 
You shouldn't get any breed people have commented about here, unless you find yourself going "but... but.... but..." to all the negatives laugh out loud

Love the one about how you shouldn't get a mix unless you're prepared to constantly doubt yourself on what you think the mix is laugh out loud I have that issue with my mix, who I think is husky and Belgian Malinois, but could be Aussie and Akita for all I know smile

Huskies... Yes, they shed. Yes, they draw attention -- especially the reds! Yes, they dig. Yes they're escape artists... but... but... Once you fall in love with one, you will get more.... so you shouldn't get a husky if you want an "only dog"...they're addictive, like potato chips laugh out loud

And I'll add, you shouldn't get a dog from a breeder without at least LOOKING at a rescue, at Petfinder, etc. Just look. If you still want to go through a breeder, okay, but just look ...

You shouldn't get a dog from a breeder unless you've done all your research about what makes for a reputable ethical breeder.

You shouldn't get a dog from a puppy store if... EVER!!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 7 9:29 am

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.