Postings by Abby Mae Brooks's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog of the Day & Week > Yay! Bruno is DOTD!
Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 4:30pm PST 
Way to go Bruno. Congrats to you both. cheerhappy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shiloh ITD, Mar 15 3:10 pm

Carolina Dog > Funny eating habits
Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 8:18am PST 
we have a Carolina Dog, Abby. I find her doing some of the same things as your baby. Abby just recently started going under our bed to sleep. And I could pull her out a million times and she just goes back. The only time she is not under the bed is when she is in our bed sleeping. She also started to pull food out of her bowl, spit it out and then eat it. I found this strange at first. I now understand the breed more. But I scolded her in her eating habits because I didn't want food all over my house. I was insistant she eat in her bowl. After a couple of days she now eats out of the bowl. They are wonderful dogs and mine to so funny to watch. We love her. Have fun with your baby.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Brandi *Mrs. Goosie*, Nov 14 9:02 pm

Carolina Dog > Carolina Dog Breeders?

Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 8:12am PST 
Carolina Dogs are pretty rare. We have a girl and think she is the best. We had a Lab before and this breed is a complete opposite. She has been a good dog, smart, and funny. I have had more fun with mine. BUT you do have to become the Alpha immediately upon their arrival. Just correct them on the first try and continue until they get it. I am not cruel or mean by any measure but firm, and consistant. They are Bullyheaded. But once they trust you and you earn the respect, they would die for you. They are the best. Good luck in your search and have fun.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tug, Aug 1 4:24 am

Behavior & Training > Need "Socializing" Help

Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 3:25pm PST 
Wow, didn't ever think I would get so many responses to needing help. Thank you all so much. There have been some really good suggestions and some I just don't understand fully. But my husband and I bit the bullet and took Abby to the park. Just out of the truck, she started pulling. I just stood there until she calmed and was guilty of pulling also. She was excited by all the smells and something different. We walked around the lake with geese, ducks and malards. At her first sight of them, she wanted to go see them. Barked at them and stopped on request. Proud of that. Then a small dog on leash came by and I held Abby away. The owned noticed Abby's excitement and I told him we were in training. We stood and talked for awhile. He worked with me by letting our pups get closer and closer until they met. No problem, the smelling, sniffing, tail wagging etc. We kept short leash. After awhile, abby wanted to play and I pulled her away. She was getting to hyped. We continued to walk around the lake, and she got excited when we were right upon a flock of ducks. So we sat on the park bench, kept her at a sit and reenforced "leave it". After five minutes she relaxed a little. Then a Scotty came by and I asked if she was friendly. We let them meet and all went well. But she wanted to play excitedly, so I took her away and made her sit. A child asked if they could pet Abby and I said yes but let me get her to sit first. I then placed both hands on Abby and spoke to her the entire time. Went well. Continuing around the lake, we noticed some slack in the leash as we walked. Better. When we finally made it around to the Truck again we were ready to go and she started pulling and barking at the squirrel playing in front of her. "Leave it" was continued until we put her in the truck and all was well. It was a chore for us all but I was persitant. We noticed that after about thirty five minutes at the park, Abby had calmed and was tired. I am thinking that if I kept a short leash and took her twice a week that maybe it would get easier for both of us. And then again not sure. Is there anything you see by my post that I am doing wrong. Always open to ideas. Thanks again and it would be nice to one day say we made it through all this with everyones help. Take care.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cyril, Mar 6 1:18 am

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Play dates in Myrtle Beach SC area?

Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 6:16pm PST 
Looking for Puppy Play Dates in the Myrtle Beach SC area. We are new and not sure where to go and when. Thanks in advance.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Feb 29 6:57 pm

Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 4:09pm PST 
I have enjoyed everyone's comments and suggestions. Please feel free to continue with your thoughts. She will become a better dog with guidence. Thank you all so much for taking your time to help Abby and Myself. It can only go UP from here. Keep up the good work and words of encourgement to all in need. dog walk
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Cyril, Mar 6 1:18 am

Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 4:05pm PST 
third, when we have taken her out to Loews, Pet Smart, etc. When I say that I pull on her, walk in circle and make sit, let me clarify. Abby is on a standard collar and leash, if she pass' by someone, she pulls or tugs in order to get to the stanger to kiss and hug them. I pull her aways from them, turn or walk her around me, and make her sit. I explain to the stranger that we are in training and please don't touch her until I sit and get her calm. I then tell them to pet her and Abbys whole body shakes from her tail wagging so fast. So I have tryed different things but I am looking for a calm dog with manners. And I expect Abby to become one. Now as far as the Dog Park. I am thinking of taking her, and stay a distance from other dogs. Read her vibes and decide if I can give more. Now with Carolina Dogs, my research has said that they are not aggressive and will give to another dog. And in our experience with our daughters 100 lb dog, when Buddy gets close and dominate with Abby, she rolls on her back and begs him not to hurt her. But then they run and play so hard she is panting. So you can see that in what I have discribed with Abby is my biggest problem is still with sociallizing. She loves EVERYONE, man and animal. It is her jumping, running, and pulling in her play and wanting more. I need her to be a respectful nice dog that can play and stop on command. Alls she wants is the PLAY with Others.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Cyril, Mar 6 1:18 am

Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 3:48pm PST 
Second, yes Abby was brought home at six weeks. Not usually something I would do but in this interest, the owner was pushing them out the door and that day was not soon enough. But we brought her home. I know that moms have a way of correcting their pups. At this point, I would like to say that I have trained horses (not dogs) and in my handling of 1200 lb animals, you have to be the Alpha. So when I brought Abby home, I worked with her in the same mind set. I didn't let her get by with much. Reasons are that I love her, want her to be the best dog possible and have research the breed of Carolina/Dingo Dogs and they said that you have to be in controll or they will take it. She is well behaved at home, potty trained at 8 weeks, sat at the Vets office on command at 10 weeks. She stays, sits, down, roll over, retreives, takes, no beggin, puts toys up in box, etc. A good dog. She is a watch dog, not a guard dog. She has her space in the yard she lays and watches cars pass by to the neighbors. She only barks if they are a strange car. Only to notify us. She barks less than 15 sec. and stops. Barking stops when commanded. NO and Enough are words she knows well.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Cyril, Mar 6 1:18 am

Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 3:30pm PST 
I love reading everyone's ideas and suggestionsl, so please continue to guide me as you would yourself. I will take all suggestions to mind. Where do I start from the answers.

First, we do live in the country but a busy highway runs close. So we bought a Transmitted machine called Pet Safe. It is not in the ground. It is a signal ray and she wears a collar. Reason for the collar, I wanted to keep her safe. I worked with Abby from 6 weeks and she responded well to most of my demands. But I wasn't far enough in her training to take the chance of chasing a animal and getting killed. I have always tried to be a very responsible owner. Her safety was important. After taking the time to train her in her boundrys, she now doesn't much like us taking it off her. BUT we take it off her everytime she comes in to the house, goes in the car, or for a walk out of the boundrys. She only has the collar on when on the property. We also travel ALOT (used to Full-Time). We have our summer home in Missouri at the Ozarks with 2 acres. We have busy lake roads. So we can carry the collar and machine and in 5 min (with flags) she knows where she can and cannot go. She never trys to test her boundrys when she has the flags. She is a pretty smart dog. Now that is about the collar.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Cyril, Mar 6 1:18 am

Abby Mae- Brooks

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 7:30am PST 
Thank you to all who gave suggestions. I am going to work with Abby in small groups of people first. Start small and progress I guess is the best I can do. Have a doggie park not far from here. Going to take her and see how that works.

The answer to the question: what do you do in public when she jumps on someone? I pull her away from the person, walk in a circle and make her sit. She will do it but continues to be excited. We are working on this.

Thank you to all of you that responsed to my situation. You have been helpful. Best Wishes Abby Mae and Susie
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Cyril, Mar 6 1:18 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.