Postings by Moose's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 229: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Funky smell
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 1:38pm PST 
Thanks for the input. I haven't taken him to the vet yet. But, the smell is now dissipating. I noticed that it wasn't as strong a few nights ago. It's still there, but it isn't making my house stink and I have to stick my nose right on him to smell it.
I'm wondering if it's the fish oil I was giving him that's caused it. Two-three months or more ago I started giving him salmon oil in his food at night. I ran out and kept forgetting to get more and about 3-4 weeks ago I got more but it's hit and miss when I remember to put it in his food. But, about the time I was remembering to put it in, was when the smell started to appear. It's now been about a week since I've put it in his food. Not sure if it's a connection or not.
I went through a 6oz bottle of the salmon oil without the stink the first go 'round, so I'm not sure.

What would the vet do to see if it's yeast infection? Skin scrape?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Wed 3:23 pm

Dog Health > Funky smell
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '14 9:36pm PST 
Moose has a smell emanating from him and it's making my whole house smell. The best I can describe the smell is it's kind of a sour, bitter, kind of metallic smell. It's coming from all over his body. It definitely isn't his anal glands.
Mikey would get this type of smell after he chewed on a RMB and it would go away after a few days. But Moose has had nothing different in his diet. Same food. Same treats. Same veggie/fruit snacks. Could be something he ate off the ground. What he usually eats from the ground on our walks are the pod/thistle things that drop from the trees and decorative yard bark. (not very much though. I've finally made inroads on stopping him from eating them).

I haven't given him a bath yet. I haven't been home in time to do it. (He doesn't get bathed in the tub. Only outside via garden hose). But I doubt it's a bathing issue because the smell is coming from his paws, belly, arm pits, etc. It seems to be oozing out of his skin.
I was hoping the smell would have gone away by now. He's had this funk for 3 or 4 days now.

Anyone's best guess at what could be causing it would be welcomed.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kali, Wed 3:23 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Jack Russell Terriers!! Please help!

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 9:38pm PST 
wave Good to see you again Abner.

Like Jasper, I'd suggest nose work games. The simple way I do it with Moose is I toss teeny tiny treats all over the floor and as he's sniffing them out, I toss more in other areas. I can even do it while I'm watching t.v.. The other night I tossed treats for close to an hour. He seemed pretty tired from it.

If your friends father is up for it, maybe taking a nose work class would be fun for both of them. I loved taking them with Mikey.
The other thing he can do is train, train, train.
Also, food dispensing toys. When I feed Moose, a 1/3 of his kibble goes into a food dispensing toy. I also put wet food inside a Kong and shove a huge piece of apple in there and he works on that after he eats his kibble.

The dog must get out and run every day though. Hopefully he can fulfill that for the dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kali, Apr 9 4:24 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Scruffy passed away

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '14 9:10pm PST 
hughughug I'm so sorry. hughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Tue 2:11 pm

Puppy Place > We got a puppy!

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 7:01pm PST 
So cute.cloud 9 Congrats. Have lots of fun. And post more pics if you can.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Apr 7 1:00 pm

Puppy Place > New Puppy!!
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 6:58pm PST 
Congratulations. He is adorable.cloud 9

I already miss Moose being a puppy. Not that he isn't still incredibly puppy like in his behavior, but I find myself regularly looking at the videos I took of him when I first got him.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Mon 12:05 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Reyna is dying

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '14 8:23pm PST 
I am so, so sorry.

I will put out good vibes for her comfort and for you and Bam Bam.

You're in my thoughts.

hughughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Snowberrys The Skys The Limit, Wed 11:04 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Starting research now for a dog in the future (2-3 years down the road)

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '14 10:15pm PST 
Check out the Spinone. I looked into that breed for a future dog and it seems like an all around great dog. Great temperament, good with kids and you don't have to exercise it like crazy.

Read up on them and if you can find one, talk to a Spinone breeder.

I hope to have one years from now.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scruffy, Mar 14 10:23 am

Behavior & Training > How to teach your pup to balance stuff on her nose!

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Mar 8, '14 1:50pm PST 
Great pics.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Mar 8 6:28 pm

Behavior & Training > Dogs who are breedist
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '14 2:13pm PST 
Not sure about the tensing up. Could be, but when his puppy bullying got really bad, before we stopped going to the beach, and he'd zero in on yellow Lab pups, normally he wasn't next to me.
Also, the yellow Lab who ran up to him on the trails was the first yellow Lab that he pinned since we stopped going to the beach so I don't think I had a chance to be tense if we saw yellow pups.
Now, I could be sending signals, but I have to say I'm not that tense when we see puppies in general, because he isn't a lunging, barking fool. He only acts like Cujo if he's off leash and has a chance to get to the pup or the pup comes up on him. When we walk on leash, he just does his normal looking at the dog and I distract with treats, but when we walk around on leash, we don't see many yellow Lab pups.
But, like you said Cobain, who knows what tiny signals I could be giving off that he's picking up on.

Amazes me though that a really light, almost yellow Golden Retriever male puppy that was a regular at the beach and was uber wiggly and submissive, never triggered Moose's bullying.
Nor do light colored doodles.

Weird.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Mar 10 4:12 am

(Page 1 of 229: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.