Postings by Toshi's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Dog Health > Bleeding bumps and "raw" skin on paws
Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 1:10pm PST 
My neighbor's dog has bumps on his paws that instead of getting better are getting worse. It's mainly on the bottom of his hind paws but he may have some on his front paws too (I'm not sure). It started out as a few small bumps on his paws that didn't seem to bother him at all and weren't that noticeable. Now, however, it's gotten worse and there are small scabs on the tip of bumps. The skin in between the pads, around the bumps, is pink and raw (the dog is black) and a bit swollen in places.
A couple of weeks ago the dog came inside from a walk and one paw was bleeding. It looked like he had cut himself on something but most likely the wound was related to these bumps. The wound was washed and treated with antibiotic ointment and healed well. However, he now has a new, smaller and more shallow wound on his paw which looks a bit like a scratch.

The bumps and sores don't seem to be bothering the dog much. He doesn't appear to be having any pain and walks just fine. His owner says that he licks his paws a lot though.

Unfortunately the dog's owner is not a responsible dog owner. Other than getting rabies shots the dog has never seen a vet because the owner doesn't think it's necessary. He refuses to get the dog neutered because he doesn't want the dog's personality to change and he thinks it's unnecessary. He is unemployed so money is an issue too when it comes to vet care.

I considered that the bumps may be papilloma virus (warts) but it doesn't look like it.

The dog is a 4-year old Pit/Lab mix.

Here is link to a pic of one paw. It doesn't show the bumps and raw skin very well but it should give you some idea of the problem. It's the only pic I have.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af256/zigzosh/DudesPa w_zpsff0baca4.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what it could be and how to treat it?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 14 5:38 pm

Dog Health > how to stop my dog leaking urine constantly
Toshi

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 2:19pm PST 
Have you had her checked out by a vet to find out why she's leaking? It may be something that could be treated. If it can't be treated, or until then, you can use a diaper on your dog to stop her from peeing all over. My girl dog also has incontinence issues due to her medication and she wears diapers in the house. It works just fine and she doesn't end up with urine all over her butt and legs like she did before. You have to change the diaper fairly often to prevent skin irritation.
You can use regular baby diapers if you cut a hole for the tail. I use them backwards as it's easier to put it on that way. You can also get reusable doggy diapers. I have this kind: http://www.poochpad.com/poochpants.html . It works very well and fits well. It's machine washable and can be dried in the dryer. It's a bit pricey but you can use it for a long time so it's cheaper than baby diapers in the long run.
I also have this kind: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/SnuggEase-Reusable-Dog-Diaper s/289020.aspx . I don't like it though. It's made a bit bigger than other diapers to accommodate male dogs and as a result it's too big for my girl dog. It even looks uncomfortable for her. They may fit another dog better though and they do absorb urine very well.

My dog has no problem wearing the diaper. She pretty much accepted it right away. If your dog won't do the same there are diaper suspenders you can get which makes it harder for your dog to take the diaper off, like this one: http://www.fancynancys.com/panties/trellispantiesl.jpg

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, May 22 1:28 pm

Dog Health > Has anyone here used Rimadyl for arthritis?

Toshi

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 12:33pm PST 
Thanks for the responses. We are doing the glucosamine/chondroitin (sp) thing but it isn't helping. Neither is Aspirin. The Rimadyl is helping. My vet is basically saying that I can use it daily if a I want to and do blood work after a month or just use it as needed if I want to do that. But what's best? I thought it may be a good idea to give it daily for 2-3 weeks to get the anti-inflammatory effects of the drug and then go on to as needed. How does that sound? (the kidney will be monitored)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Wesley, May 24 3:47 pm

Dog Health > Has anyone here used Rimadyl for arthritis?

Toshi

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 10:52pm PST 
I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Rimadyl for arthritis or something else. If so, how did you use it for your dog? I mean, did you use it daily or just as needed on bad days? For how long did you use it? Is it more beneficial if used daily for a few weeks and then switch to as needed? Or can the dog keep taking it daily long term, assuming that the liver remains okay?

I've already discussed this issue with my vet but I didn't get much wiser so I thought I'd ask others how they used Rimadyl.

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Wesley, May 24 3:47 pm

Grooming > What is a good waterless shampoo for incontinent dog?

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:35pm PST 
My 12-year old Eskie mix is on diuretics for her heart disease and unfortunately it causes her to have accidents at times, especially when she's sleeping so she ends up getting pee on her side and leg. I don't want to keep giving her baths all the time so I'd like to find a waterless shampoo or something like that that I can use just to clean the area that needs cleaning and that doesn't cause any discomfort to her.
Does anyone know of a product or maybe even something homemade that I could use, preferably something that isn't very expensive?

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Apr 6 9:51 am

Dog Health > Nightmares or vivid dreams in 11-year old dog
Toshi

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 10:57am PST 
My soon to be 11-year old male Border Collie mix has started to have nightmares and/or vivid dreams lately and I'm not sure if it's anything I should be concerned about. It's been going on for about a year or so but has increased lately in frequency. He will sometimes whine/cry in his sleep and will also jerk or move his legs. It looks to me like he's having a nightmare and is possibly dreaming that he's running, thereof the leg movements. Both my dogs have had things like this happen a few times throughout their whole lives and it's nothing I worry about - everyone has nightmares at times - but the fact that it happens so often now has me a bit concerned.
When it happens I usually wake him up by calling his name and once he opens his eyes I sit with him and pet him to comfort him. Usually he just goes back to sleep and there is nothing more to it.

The fact that he's not a youngster anymore makes me worry more about everything. He is generally a healthy dog and other than some allergies have no problems. His last bloodwork was fine and he saw the vet in October and was fine then. He is due for routine bloodwork this month so that's going to be done regardless. I doubt that the bloodwork will be helpful in figuring out the dream issue though.
What do you guys think? Is this something I should worry about? Does anyone else's dog have the same issue?

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by "Gunner" Da Big Boy Angel, Feb 10 7:59 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Can you make a meal with gizzards and hearts?

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 2:11pm PST 
I've got a package of gizzards and chicken hearts and I wanted to cook it up for my dogs. I'm wondering if it would be okay to make dinner for the dogs using the gizzards and hearts as the meat source? If so does anyone have a recipe I could use or some suggestions for how to cook it and what else to add to it for a palatable and at least somewhat balanced meal.

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Oct 19 8:58 am

Food & Nutrition > I finally found a food my sick dog will eat!!! (Evanger's)

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 11:18am PST 
My 12-year old Eskie mix has congestive heart failure and the meds she's on affects her appetite. I've had a hell of a time getting food in her the past few weeks. Dry food is out of the question. She won't touch it. She would eat canned food but only a few bites at a time and only from a spoon. She would not eat from her bowl. I tried a bunch of different canned foods - everything from junk like Alpo to foods that cost $3/can. Someone here suggested I make satin balls for her so I did that but, to my surprise, she refused that too. She did finally eat it after I cooked the satin balls but I still had to coax her.

A few days ago I got a couple of cans of Evanger's Dog Food expecting the same result as usual. But I was pleasantly surprised - she loved it! Not only did she eat it from a bowl, she finished it and even ate more of it later that day. I'm thrilled! My other dog who is not sick but an extremely picky eater also loved it.

It's a pretty different dog food than what you usually get. Many of the different flavors just contain big pieces of meat and some vegetables in juice. It looks like something you'd make at home. What you see is what you get. You don't have to look at the ingredients to know what's in it. Some flavors have organ meat in them (one can I bought had a big piece of tripe which my dogs weren't able to chew). Just the kind of nasty stuff dogs love. Some of the flavors are more traditional pate style though.

I highly recommend this food if your dog is a picky eater. Some of the flavors are not nutritionally complete and is indicated for supplemental and intermittent feeding only but for a few days they're just fine. There are nutritionally complete versions too. It's not cheap but it's no more expensive than other premium foods.

I'm so happy to have found a food Rocket likes and the fact that Toshi likes it too is a great bonus.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ellie CGC, Oct 9 6:54 am

Food & Nutrition > What's a good supplement for dog that is not eating enough?

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 11:41am PST 
My 12-year old American Eskimo mix has congestive heart failure and is on several medications which seems to effect her appetite. I'm having a very hard time getting her to eat and usually can't get her to eat enough. I'm going to have to get her a good supplement that will provide both nutrients and calories. It's easier to get her to eat straight meat but that doesn't have everything she needs so I'm hoping to find a supplement that will provide her the majority of what she needs nutritionally so that I can feed her what she likes.
I'd prefer to find a supplement in pill form if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good supplement that may work for us?

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ellie CGC, Sep 29 9:26 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Is there any good, tasty but cheap food I can make at home for two senior dogs?
Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 10:02pm PST 
My 12-year old has been having some pretty serious health problems lately and is on several medications which seems to affect her appetite. Normally she eats anything. Whether or not it's edible isn't that important as long as it smells good. She'd even get excited about broccoli. Now, however, she won't even eat ground beef and rice. We've been through several different foods the past few weeks. It started with a more palatable kibble - from Natural Balance to Science Diet which she normally loves. That worked for a few days. After that I moved to canned food - Solid Gold with tripe which she would normally kill for. But that only worked for a couple of days. I ended up having to sit on the floor and spoon feed her to get her to eat (oddly enough she'd eat this way but not directly from the bowl). We tried some other canned foods without much luck. A few days ago I decided to try boiled ground beef and rice and that was a big hit. She inhaled it and so did my other dog who was born a picky eater.
By today, however, she has grown bored with this too and only ate half of her dinner. It's not that she wasn't hungry because she gladly ate chicken from the table later and finally, to get something in her, I tried giving her some canned cat food and that went down just fine.

I think what I'm going to have to do is to rotate foods, maybe find a few different recipes. I think I'll be most successful with homemade food but unfortunately I can't afford to keep getting them ground beef all the time so I need an affordable version that is healthy and tastes good. Maybe mix different sources of protein, like some ground beef and some liver or even gizzards or something else nasty that dogs love.

I could really use some good, affordable recipes.
My dogs are 10 and 12 and the 12-year old has congestive heart failure so if someone has a recipe that is good for that that would be great.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rocket, Sep 21 10:02 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.