Postings by Opheila's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 109: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > What is your dream dog(s)?
Caledonia

Sad-Eyed Doggie- of the Lowlands

Barked: Wed Apr 23, '14 1:00pm PST 
Oh I forgot a boxer too!!!! Boxers are beautiful, the truth is with all the breeds out there I'm kind of open...I'm not partial to small dogs really but if someone dropped a chii or min pin on my doorstep I'd fall in love instantly. I just prefer dogs that are big and muscled enough that you can give them a big hug and not break them, but I could really love any doglittle angel
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Calamity Jane, Today 2:25 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What is your dream dog(s)?
Caledonia

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '14 3:36pm PST 
I have my dream dog Mr. Manway to go But what a fun topic! If I could compose a dream pack...everybody getting along, I would have:
A Westland terrier-there's a children's book character McDuff who's a Westie, adorable yet opinionated small pooch.
A Japanese Chin-Born and bred for cuteness
An American Bulldog and a Dogo Argentino
Then I'd add a lovable bully mutt.
Of course I will always have cats so only dogs that respect cats. My dream dogs would be a bit less territorial than Callie but his easygoing nature. Sophie is so OCD I worry about her sometimes.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Calamity Jane, Today 2:25 pm

Behavior & Training > How to Simply Teach Recall?

Caledonia

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '14 6:00pm PST 
The only dog experience we've had is with adult dogs who came to us basically pre-trained. My concern is Callie. Sophie has always been easy with coming when called. She's never more than ten feet away from me in any situation, simple.
But Callie is his own man. It bothers me at the park. I want him to know he hears "Callie now!" and he should be at my feet, not standing in the distance contemplating the meaning of life.
Then don't call them bulls for nothing, bull-headed. He usually works with me really good. How do I teach him to come as easy as Sophie?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cohen CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh CGN , Mon 6:05 pm

Food & Nutrition > Picky Eater

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 7:37pm PST 
Sophie is a pain in the butt with food. Callie will happily inhale anything you put down. Sophie has been known to turn up her nose at a meal or two and still take her time deciding if she feels like eating yet.
Some dogs are just more finicky I suppose. Healthy additions can be minced meat or fish, vegetables, cheese, perhaps a sprinkling of garlic powder, I'll use a sprinkling of dry cat food...not so healthy but it works. Oh and warm water. Warm water softens the kibble and makes it kind of a nice meaty stew.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Sun 7:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Hi all

Opheila

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 10:57am PST 
What terrific pictures and such gorgeous pups!!!!
We haven't had a lot of fun up to now this season. First gasps of Spring. We didn't see our front lawn for two months...seriously, freakiest snow storms in many years.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tyler , Apr 15 11:25 am

Behavior & Training > Aggression in car towards other dogs
Opheila

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 10:51am PST 
I don't know if this is a behavior that can be redirected or minimized in some way. Up until recently Sophie was kinda bipolar with this. She could be happily running in the park with another dog. Then see the same dog a few minutes later from the car and be flinging herself at the dashboard. Out of the car and she'd be instantly mellow again...with the same dog.
Frustration? Being too dumb to realize the dog outside is the SAME dog? I don't know. She did start turning on dogs in public but it didn't happen until after about eight years. She even barks like a nut at places where she saw a cat or squirrel or other dog once, guess she expects if she barks loud enough they'll magically appear again?

Callie on the other hand is silent in the car. Maybe some deep growls at the gas station guys coming too close. But people, other dogs, cats, squirrels...he'll glance at them. Then give a sigh and lay on the seat until we get where we're going.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Apr 15 10:51 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > I want to cry. my service dog bit me!

Opheila

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:22pm PST 
I'm so sorry this happened to you but as long as it doesn't become a habit I'd give your dog some leeway. If it happens again, some refresher training might be in order. But really...dogs, cats can be testy sometimes and it doesn't mean they're turning on you. It's okay, just make it clear it's not going to happen again.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Link, Sun 8:46 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT!

Opheila

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:16pm PST 
I know it's totally unethical but I would dognap Mya back...but that's just me. Best of luck and thoughts are with youmeditate
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Twister, Fri 7:06 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > I Need Pictures!

Caledonia

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:13pm PST 
Sure, Callie is a regular AmBull poster boy! PM me if you're interested.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Today 1:26 pm

Behavior & Training > So Very Proud of My Boy
Caledonia

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 1:00pm PST 
Sigh, I had a day from hell yesterday. Long complicated back story. But in a nutshell there's a deranged distant relative that terrorized us a few years back. Then we just had Sophie. Yeah protective bully breeds indeed. She disappeared in the house and only when the dust had cleared and the police long left did she come back out.

Yesterday was the awful notice that this idiot was back in town for the day. This time I called the police first. They sent an officer out. Better to have them write a report and keep an eye on the house than let things go and have a houseful of them maintaining order.

The officer knocked on the front door and Callie the tank threw himself at the screen. I picked him up and scooted him back in the house. Then I sat of the steps to give the report. The night passed without incident but it was a really bad day. But it made me appreciate my boy all the more. Someone who you know will keep you safe and would give their life for you.

The reporting officer said himself "NOBODY would be crazy enough to try to get past that dog". Given the situation it was a high compliment. Not easy finding anyone human or canine that you can put that much trust into. I walked back into the house all shaky and freaked n' wrapped my arms around those big old shoulders. A dog with muscles ripped enough you can give him a human bear hug. That's why whenever I hear bias against "pit bull type dogs" I get so angry.

Of course it's based on ignorance. Half the people who support breed ban laws don't know the slightest thing about actual breeds...a bull terrier, a Dogo, a Presario, a boxer mutt...all the same kind of dog right? Pit bull is shorthand for some fantasy beast that eats children. Boxy head, deep chest, stubby back legs and big teeth. Yup they can pick out a bull easy.

Strangely enough those same people might look at an English bull dog and see cute. I don't understand it. But seeing my big boy at night, heaving a human sounding sigh and sleeping on my chest, no I don't understand the haters. Callie is the sweetest guy I've ever loved.little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Apr 14 4:39 pm

(Page 1 of 109: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.