Postings by S'N'S Geronimo's Revenge's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Legal Problems / Service Dog Bites
S'N'S- Geronimo's- Revenge

Saving mommy, on- a daily basis!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 5:16pm PST 
Keep records of all retraining. They *should* have to pay for the retraining, depending on the state.
PLEASE get the videos going on the news, the more attention you garner, the better!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 16 12:48 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Head Halters and Other devices

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 5:10pm PST 
I use a prong. Harley and I had a long discussion about this previously, since unfortunatley, most pinch's are used wrong.
I use it correctly, and use it for easier time communicating. My dog can work in a flat, however, he's still a puppy, so I still prefer the pinch, we also have a martingale we use too.
I hate choke chains, I've never seen any good come from them other than dogs that are showing in them, since they are actually put on the right point of their neck.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Mandi, Jan 22 9:58 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > What does he serve?

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 4:59pm PST 
Aidan, my previous was a corgi-we got doxie, GSD, GSD puppy, chihuahua, yorkie, and my favorite, a Westie....
My current has been called a lab, greyhound, great dane, rott, doberman, doverman, and pit bull, etc.
I get tons of stupid questions. If it's honest, I reply honest, if it's just stupid, I reply stupid.... way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by S'N'S Geronimo's Revenge, Jan 11 4:59 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Self Training a Diabetic Alert Dog

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 4:53am PST 
OP, an independant breed isn't a bad thing, you can work it into a positive.
My Beauceron is one of those breeds that do things on his terms.
From my understanding of Schipperke, they will do anything for their person, which is the same that we have with Geronimo.
(I have a friend with Beaucerons that used to have Schipperkes, and she'd go back to them in a heartbeat. Said they were insanely easy to get to understand what she wanted, just like Beauc's)

The difference between a 'regular' dog and an independant....
Typically, basic stuff is pointless.

Geronimo understands what I'm asking by way of basic obedience. He typically won't do anything about it however.
He thinks repetitions of sit, down, etc, is silly.
That's normal for a Beauc. I have a friend with one, who when she took him to a basic obedience ring (she'd competed for years with other breeds) her Beauc took off, ran around the room barking at people.
If they don't want to do it, they don't.
But, he'll do anything that is necessary to take care of me, his charge.
In fact, we've been doing some looking at Geronimo's task work.
We taught him 3 things..... JUST 3.
The rest, (8 total at 8 months, and I'm not kidding) he saw a need, he found a way to meet the need, we told him we liked it.
They are super-smart, and willing to do what THEY view necessary for their people.
My friend who had Schipps says they are similar to a Beauceron. Hopefully someone with a Schipp comes in and helps more, but jut want you to see that just because they are independant doesn't mean they are bad for sd work.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 13 5:31 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > PTSD Service dogs

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 4:53am PST 
As a person with PTSD, let me remind you there are many of us out there with PTSD, and nowhere to go.
THe programs don't always want to train for us, we're afraid of telling anyone, and we are utterly alone.

I'm a woman with 20 years of abuse at the hand of my family.
I know women and men who have gone thru similar and worse events.
The minute we say PTSD, everyone assumes we've served, when we say no, we are discounted because we weren't overseas.

It's sad that we can't get the help we need, because of not going overseas?
It's GREAT that you're helping someone who's served, and I am for that all the way, but don't forget there are other victims out there, victims like me, who were forced to live in abuse, or rape victims, or people who've witnessed murders..
We are victims too, and we need help just the same as the veterans do.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 25 7:47 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Having more than one SD at the same time for the same tasks

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 2:21pm PST 
Guest, not sure what you mean......
As in are they showing and using the Sds?
yes.
In fact, 2 of which were just at the Beauc specialty shows with their SD/show dogs, had their gear sitting ringside, and would take them in the ring, or handled depending on the situation, and then they'd leave the ring, and go back to work.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Dec 8 8:15 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Having more than one SD at the same time for the same tasks

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 1:01am PST 
I know of quite a few who breed, and show their service dogs.
Not just in my breed of choice, but others as well.
It does happen alot, but because so many people get nasty about it, most of them just don't tell anyone.
Geronimo's mom is a service dog, as is his dad.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Dec 8 8:15 am

Brandi

Can I has- kisses?????

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 1:59pm PST 
NoName, here's the link that was given to me.
http://www.guidehorse.org/news_guide_animal_false_ada_excuses.h tm
I may have not read it all correctly, that does happen.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Dec 8 8:15 am

Brandi

Can I has- kisses?????

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 10:40pm PST 
One lady I know actually was involved with a case a friend was in where she actually used 2 dogs at the same time.
One was medical, one was mobility. She had a court case because of a store freaking out, and she actually won. Since both dogs did different things...
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Dec 8 8:15 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Breakdown of program-trained vs. owner-trained

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 6:46pm PST 
I don't feel like going into a ton of writing tonight, (LONG day...)
But for me, the main factors were breed and that I have multiple issues that I need the dog to work.
I chose the breed because they are VERY intelligent, and can think all on their own, which was important for me.
(at 8 months, he knows 7 or 8 tasks, mostly self-taught when he saw a need)
The size was also important, I needed a dog at LEAST 26-27 inches tall, but didn't want the HUGE dog. His weight-range is easier to deal with than some of the larger dog breeds (dad tops at 100, mom's smaller at 70 lbs)
The beauce's make very good multi-taskers, which played a large role in picking OT and PT.
He does psd, is picking up on medical alert I didn't even know about, hearing alerts, mobility, and taught himself to retrieve.
I LOVE it!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jolanda, Nov 27 9:24 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.