Postings by Zelda's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 333: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > So sad that these forums are going away
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jan 21, '14 11:26am PST 
This is all so frustrating. This was (hands down) the most helpful and reasonable raw feeding community out there.

I had tried to stay active with dozens of facebook groups, most of which I trashed after ridiculous, elitist comments. I always relied on this forum for good advice and open minds. I didn't have to worry about people spouting off homeopathy nonsense, or telling people that raw was the cure to everything.

I only hope that someone could transfer the community elsewhere. I no longer have the energy or time to feed raw, but I still send people here to start their own research. Now I don't know anywhere worthwhile to recommend.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sandy, Feb 12 5:18 pm

Raw Food Diet > FREE raw meat/organ to whomever is willing to pick it up (Columbia, MD)
Charlie

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 6:53pm PST 
Some of the forum members may remember me for a few years back when I was an avid raw feeder. Unfortunately, I have not had the time or energy to commit to raw feeding over the past 6 months. I am moving into an apartment at the start of next year and I need to empty out my chest freezer in the mean time.

I took a quick inventory of the freezer, and this is what is up for grabs:

1.) 30 lbs. ground beef (in 5 lb. chubs, Blue Ridge Beef)

2.) 10-15 lbs. venison cuts

3.) 15 lbs. raw green tripe (in 5 lb. chubs, Blue Ridge Beef)

4.) 4 lbs. boneless pork

5.) 3 lbs. tuna (one large steak)

6.) 3 lbs. beef steaks

7.) 2 lbs. beef kidney

A few things are a little freezer burned, but they're mostly good looking and ready to thaw. Some items are as young as 6 months old, some are as old as 3 years. Nothing has ever been taken out and thawed before.

Again, all of this is free to the first person willing to come and pick it up. Also, the chest freezer itself may be negotiable.

If you are interested, please leave me a message here or send me a private message.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Dec 17 8:13 am

Dog Health > HGE almost killed my dog. No causes, no prevention, no closure. Thoughts on this affliction?

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 2:41pm PST 
Zelda was diagnosed with HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) this week, and barely survived the ordeal. She spent 2 days at the emergency vet on constant fluids, and didn't eat for 3 days. Now at home we're past the diarrhea and lack of appetite, but her skin has blown up and she's itching herself raw.

The doctors did a wonderful job, but they have no real confirmations for me on why this happened. HGE is the most vague affliction I've ever heard of, with hundreds of possible causes, but no real evidence of anything. How am I supposed to prevent something if I have no idea why it happened?

The only clue we have is a lamb ear that Zelda ate the night before symptoms started. It was the only thing I fed to Zelda but not to her brother Charlie. It was also the first treat out of a package that I had never tried before. It was sourced from Best Bully Sticks and was made in the US, but I have no other leads.

Has anyone else had experience with HGE, and have you discovered what the cause was?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bunny, Nov 8 3:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > Looking for adice about meat grinders!

Charlie

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 6:30pm PST 
A $100 dollar grinder will grind meat and fat with ease, but will struggle with most bones. I had one for a short time when I made my cat's food, and it would take cornish hen bones with ease but struggle with anything as large as a chicken thigh. Also, no grinder is going to guarantee to work with bones so if it breaks, you're out quite a bit of money.

If you want something reliable to grind bones, you're going to be looking at a good $400 grinder.

The good news is, there are alternatives for bone content! I make half my dog's diet and package it for easy feeding. Their meals are a balanced mix of meat, organ, potatoes and veggies and I add in supplements to pull everything together. For the bone content, I include either crushed egg shells or chicken feet. I collect every shell from the eggs my family uses, wash them out, dry them, and crush them up into a powder. The chicken feet work equally as well with an added bonus of glucosamine, and are generally easy to handle and don't make any mess.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 27 4:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > Too much fat in blood... high cholesterol?

Charlie

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 6:20pm PST 
Was she fasted before the draw?

When I worked as a vet tech, fatty blood was a pretty common problem. This is why vets will tell you to fast your dog before any surgery or scheduled blood draw, so that they can guarantee a good sample.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Brody, Aug 28 5:05 pm

Behavior & Training > I know how to deal with aggressive reaction, but how do I curve excited reaction?
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 6:01am PST 
I've spent most of Charlie's life dealing with his problems, but rarely ever get a chance to work with Zelda. She's got a good temperament (thank goodness), but has odd little behaviors here and there that we've always shrugged off because they were harmless. Now that we're looking to move into our own apartment in the fall, I've really gotta work with her on her excitement issues.

Zelda gets very excited for human attention, and will march in place, walk in circles and bark. It's cute, but the barking is loud and I don't want angry neighbors. We have this problem a lot on walks as well, when she sees other dogs. She loves dogs and goes to the dog park frequently, but on a leash she'll lunge and bark excitedly. It looks and sounds terrible and people think she's aggressive.

How do I teach her to chill out a little-- or at least just quiet down? Any tips or tricks are so very appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 21 9:49 am

Food & Nutrition > Need to reduce % of fat in diet...

Charlie

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 5:47am PST 
Why does the fat percentage need to go down? Just curious is all because that doesn't seem very high.

Diluting the food with meat could lower the fat percentage, but you'd have to use something real lean like chicken breast or venison. Chicken breast has about an 8% fat content.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kilum, Aug 19 12:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > RAW, diarrhea and a lecture from the vet. HELP!

Charlie

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 11:43am PST 
Definitely not salmonella. Food poisoning doesn't last more than a day for dogs, and look the same way as they do in people: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea in the form of "the runs", and lethargy.

Charlie had a case of this once from a particularly bad choice of meat, and the major symptoms only lasted a few hours the night of the meal. He was in and out for the bathroom every 10-20 minutes, and was completely lethargic. He finally went to sleep and everything was back to normal by the next afternoon.

I really don't think many vets understand salmonella/e-coli.. because they always diagnose it like this. It's incredibly common for a dog to be carrying salmonella in its stool, but incredibly uncommon for the bacteria to spread and cause a problem in its gut.

Anyways, I think the best thing to do would be starting very slowly again, as if you were starting raw over, at least for the next week. Bland proteins with bone content and limit fat.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Aug 10 11:43 am

Dog Health > my husky dog doesn't gain weight!! pls help!!

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 1:04pm PST 
As long as she's not very underweight, or losing weight, I wouldn't worry about it.

Zelda is naturally slender, and I haven't been able to put any fat on her. High quality, high protein diets have put a softening layer of muscle on her, but she never gets any heavier. Our vet says she is on the borderline of ideal and underweight, but is very healthy, so we don't worry over her.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Teeko, Aug 25 6:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > Switching to 1/2 and 1/2 again.. *sigh*
Charlie

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 8:56am PST 
My venison all comes from hunters. I just happened to have a hunter friend give me about 15 pounds of boneless venison a few weeks ago, because he was tired of eating it laugh out loud.

The venison is whole, so I cut it up into small bite-sized chunks. The pork was part ground and part whole, cut-up chunks. I don't like feeding anything larger than bite-sized piece of boneless, because my dogs are gulpers and have choked on boneless before.

I prepared an entire month's worth of food at once for both dogs. I cooked down the potatoes and greens and mixed those together, and I prepared all the meat and mixed it in a very large bowl. I added salmon oil (2-3 squirts x 30 [days]) and an estimated amount of sea meal, and mixed the whole thing by hand until it looked even. Then everything was weighed and added to small ziploc containers, each carrying 3 days worth of dinners. The egg shell and/or chicken feet were added on top of that amount, as well as the vitamin E supplement.

http://imgur.com/a/INQyx
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Feather, Aug 6 10:01 am

(Page 1 of 333: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.