Postings by ❤ Sadie ❤ 's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 36: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dogs & Travel > Boarding?
☮ Oakley- ☮

Leaves = My- bestfriend!!

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 5:18pm PST 
We use Petsmart too and have never had issues. You can bring your own food, they'll feed them when you want to, multiple potty breaks and they can't see their neighbors next to them. There is someone always there in case of an emergency and also lots of individual packages you can add on. We always add a 30 min play time where they go into a huge room with dogs their size and get to play.

When evaluating kennels, look for cleanliness, how friendly and responsive employees are, and if they do background checks on all dogs. Also check around for references and reviews. Ask around and see if anybody has some suggestions.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Feb 15 5:17 pm

Puppy Place > Picky puppy or just not that hungry?
☮ Oakley- ☮

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 1:09pm PST 
What is says on the bag is only a reccomendation. Each dog is different and usually doesn't need what the bag says. If your dog is at a healthy weight and you see no ribs or other bones what she's is eating is just fine. Sadie and Oakley eat less than what it says and they maintain a healthy weight.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Emma , Jan 20 7:04 am

Behavior & Training > Digging at bedding before sleeping

❤ Sadie- ❤

Miss Sadie the- Trouble Maker

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 10:46am PST 
Sounds exactly like Sadie. She digs like no other until she thinks it's just right to lay down. Sometimes she will lay down and get right back up because it's not good enough and start digging at it again.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Chase, CGC, Dec 20 6:18 pm

Behavior & Training > Does your dog hate the TV too?

❤ Sadie- ❤

Miss Sadie the- Trouble Maker

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 7:25pm PST 
Sadie does the exact same thing as scruffy. I keep telling her they are not going to get her but she doesn't quite understand shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kay, Dec 14 4:20 am

Dog Health > when do tick seasons begin and end for you?

☮ Oakley- ☮

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 7:59pm PST 
We have found them on Sadie and Oakley between march-April. We never had such a tick problem this bad. Not a single one last year and then this year we four 3 on Sadie and 2 on Oakley March/April but they seemed to disappear after that haven't seen them since. Since they have long hair they get thorough pat downs after finding 3 on Sadie it definetly kept me vigilant for them.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dunlop, Dec 1 11:21 pm

Puppy Place > Littermates. Help!
☮ Oakley- ☮

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 2:59pm PST 
Sadie and Oakley are litter mates. They are almost two and they love to wrestle with each others. Occasionally though it will escalate past play fighting though if someone is being too rough. When it does escalate its usually solved between each other within seconds, they snif each other and they are off and running circles again. I'm always quick to jump in but usually don't have to break it up cause they stop 3 seconds after it starts but if it doesn't stop I will separate them for 10 minutes or so and then allow to play again.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Tessa Fenris, Dec 6 10:23 am

Behavior & Training > Sudden fear on walks

☮ Oakley- ☮

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 6:08pm PST 
Tonika, they came from a breeder it was birthday present for my 15th birthday so I had no control over what my parents were doing partly cause it was a surprise. They came home at 12 weeks. I know this partly where her sensitivity stems from. Im more educated then my parents at 15 and now and new not to by from puppy mill buyers but I did not expect a dog ever let alone two. My parens don't really like pets.

She was a great dog from the day I got her until about 7 months. Well socialized, loved being around and playing with dogs, a pretty confident dog all around. However at 7 months or so old, Sadie and Oakley were attacked by two off leash bullmastiffs. From then Sadie has been able to heal mentally and emotionally. However, Oakley not so much. She's ten times better but she doesn't trust dogs and new situations stress her out. She was still a puppy at the time so it really set her back.

As for Sadie and Oakley's co-dependence on each other, they can live and thrive without each other. Sometimes they do all they can to avoid each other. Sadie is Oakley's confidence booster on walks. I'm not enough to sway her towards Gettig her to walk. When me and my brother walk them he takes Sadie and I take Oakley. He runs ahead with sadie while I tag slowly behind (knee injury) and Oakley doesn't stress out when sadie far ahead or out of sight but if I walk out the door with a leash on Oakley and not on Sadie it's a different story. Also I can leash Oakley up and taker her to groomer/vet without Sadie and she's totally fine. She just doesn't seem to get that a dogs not going to get her everytime we go walking.

As for the barking, they both had the problem as pups but I curved Oakley's behavior quickly but Sadie is stubborn to learn. That was when they were just pups and a casual walk was soo much stimulation. Ive narrowed her barking and growling down to a protection thing more than a "I don't like you I'm going to bite human aggression" living in the OC we see people in shirts and shirts 10 out of 12 months. Last winter was not as cold as this year so we still saw light clothing being worn. Well I've noticed that she will only bark at people wearing big jackets with hoods on. So we will be working on this problem hard. Ive worked hard with Sadie over the past week and shes picking the training back up that I was lacking on due to less walks (same knee injury)

Thanks for the great advice! All is very helpful smile patience and work is my number one thing with her.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ☮ Oakley ☮, Nov 30 6:08 pm

☮ Oakley- ☮

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 3:53pm PST 
Thanks violet! smile

Oakley is a very sensitive dog, so it makes sense. I've seem her go through fears periodically within the home (not going certain rooms or wary of certain people) and also in our yard, but never on walks it's her favorite thing to do. She shuts down so easily so I do have to take half a step at a time. Patience I think will be the key here smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by ☮ Oakley ☮, Nov 30 6:08 pm

☮ Oakley- ☮

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 3:14pm PST 
Ive noticed over the past month Oakley's behavior on walks is really different. Three major things I'm having problems with is:

1) within two blocks distance from home (in any direction/route) Oakley becomes hesitant and wants to turn back to home. She just had a well visit at the vet so she is healthy, no joint problems. I try to encourage her to continue, she's extremely food motivated and that doesn't help or when it does not for long I know she is stressed out so I don't push it and will find a nearby grassy area and let her off leash to run around and play ball and she's competly fine. I walk Sadie and Oakley together so I tried one on one training, but we didn't even make it down to the end of our street.

2) barking and growling at strangers-- she has never been vocal towards dogs or strangers on walks. Now in the last two weeks every person she sees, she sees as an enemy. She loves people, I'm pretty sure every time we have guests she'd be happy to hop in the car and go home with them. And everytime we see strangers I fight with her to get into a sit-stay cuz she's persistent to greet everybody on the streets. After thinking about it though now, I have had this problem with sadie since Ive had her and I've been slacking on Sadie's training with this issue so Oakley is picking up on the bad behavior..... I think I just answered my own question laugh out loud

3) this is an issue that I've always had with her since I've had her but, she will only potty on concrete.... I know it's probably just a preference thing but yesterday I used up my last bag to pick up Sadie's business and since Oakley never really goes on walks anyway I didn't expect her to squat and do her business in the middle of the walkway... Ya... Real challenge to figure out how to clean that one. Anyway, even in our yard, the only place she will go is on concrete. It's not a big deal at this house because we have a huge slab of concrete and she'll do it in the corner away from people walking. My fear is that the next house we are moving into in 2 months won't have that luxury of a huge slab of concrete for her to do her business as she pleases. She won't potty when leashed in the yard ( she likes her own privacy) so how can I get her to do her business on the grass. I may be asking the impossible. Oakley is all about routine and any switch ups puts her through a loop and definetly doesn't like it.

Sorry for it being so long but I'm just at a loss of what to do....
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by ☮ Oakley ☮, Nov 30 6:08 pm

Grooming > Keeping me mat free?
☮ Oakley- ☮

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 7:05pm PST 
Oakley is a poodle/Maltese mix. She mats so easily that every 6-8 weeks we get her shaved down. It's winter and she gets so cold and has to wear a shirt or coat pretty much 24/7 but it's better than being matted.

It's mainly the ears and collar area. I brushe her thoroughly everyday. Taking her collar off and getting her brushed down good. She hates being brushed but she sucks up to it and lets me do it. I brush her really good but really good isn't good enough. Her hair just mats so easily. So is there anything I could try to keep her mat free. She likes to roll around outside and go scavenging in the bushes getting burs stuck in her fur so that contributes to it I guess.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ☮ Oakley ☮, Nov 7 7:05 pm

(Page 1 of 36: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.