Postings by Taggert's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 120: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Tips on freezing meat
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '14 1:14pm PST 
when you first get your food, portion it into the units of measurement that your dog eats per meal. That way you are only thawing in the fridge whatever the dog is going to eat that day. The less you have to thaw and refreeze stuff the better.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Mar 24 1:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > How long can raw food stay down?
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 1:05am PST 
10 minutes is a pretty standard feeding time, even if the dog is not on raw. Actually If a dog hasn't eaten anything in 5 minutes, he is usually being a picky puss, but give them 5 minutes leeway.

Taggert is very picky. There is this turkey neck grind that my butcher does, and foxxy loves it. It's high in bone though. Tagert won't touch it. He takes a bite, tastes the bone, and turns his nose up every time. After a week of snubbing it, I broke down and got him some beef heart and tongue. I can't starve him very long because he is naturally almost too skinny as it is. He wolfed that right up without a second glance.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Mar 14 1:05 am

Dog Health > OMG!! omg!! OMG!! cut dog's nails way too short-bleeding BADDDDDLYYY

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Feb 13, '14 10:55pm PST 
corn starch. it doesn't work as well as styptic pencil or powder, but it works. The problem is they'll lick it off so you'll have to hold the dog until you get it under control. YOu might have to apply it a few times to get the blood to quit. Foxxy's claws are very dramatic when they get cut too close.

The other thing you could do is take a walk in the snow, if you have snow. the cold will slow the bleeding enough that it clots and the snow keeps it clean.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Feb 16 4:43 am

Food & Nutrition > Good canned dog food that looks "real"

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 10:10am PST 
skip the cans which are bad for the environment and go with I and Love and you In the raw.

Cans are messy, filled with water that comes from a non-local source, and contribute to tons of waste. Dehydrated casts about the same or cheaper than buying the expensive cans that have more than just pate. With dehydrated, it's the same nutrition, only you are not paying for water, you are adding your own.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Dec 27 10:10 am

Dog Health > Help please! Wonderful dog of 17 years. Medication to help ease her final day/months?

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Dec 17, '13 2:01pm PST 
find an animal acupuncturist. Lots of people find that their dogs respond very well to acupuncture therapy.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Dec 18 5:52 pm

Dog Health > Hot spots under eyes?
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Nov 28, '13 10:44pm PST 
hot spot eyes?

Here you go. I don't know what that's all about either, but I am really leery about steroid eye drops too. it looks like it could be styes or inflamed eyelash follicles or an infection in the hair follicles in which case antibioics might help, but a food change might be more in order. You can also get sterile saliene eye rinse from the pet store if you think it will help.

I wonder, does she stick her head out the window of the car a lot?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Nov 29 4:05 am

Dog Health > My frenchie has coarse dry hair :(

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 12:46pm PST 
Coconut oil too! Dogs love the unrefined stuff. Plus, with coconut oil, you can also brush their teeth with it and you can work it into their fur and skin like a lotion. Can't do that with fish oil.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Nov 25 2:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Working with an unmotivated dog

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 11:12am PST 
He's a coonhound. That's a working dog bred to flush, chase and tree small to medium game. Have they tried tempting him with a flirt pole or using a toy made of real fur and stuffed with wool batting? sometimes dogs really get picky about things being all natural. They don't care about polyester stuffing or fabric, or nylabones, but they go nuts for pizzles and all of the taxidermy in the house.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Noah, Nov 19 5:25 pm

Dog Health > Dog lost consciousness

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 10:52am PST 
OMG that's so scary! eek

Our tiny ones can be so tough one moment and so fragile the next. With a spirit as big as a dog has, it's sometimes hard to think of them as weighing less than a gallon of water (a gallon of water weighs 8lbs)

Your vet's probably right. All it takes is to pinch just the wrong two neck bones together and it's lights out. That's probably what happened. If your dog is fine now, just watch for weakness in the limbs, sudden changes in behavior and sore spots on the neck. YOur dog will tell you if you hit a spot when you are petting him. Hopefully it was just one of those freak accidents. Thank god you knew how to do nose to snout!happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Hazel, Nov 19 11:18 pm

Dog Health > Panting, hiding and needy. What's up?
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 10:30am PST 
Extreme anxiety is a sort of thing that you should probably work with a trainer or an animal behaviorist to assess and correct. Did you know your dogs picture shows penny being very stressed out too? The wide lipped panting, high eyebrows and the spoon shape of his tongue are the big non-verbals in the face for identifying a very stressed out dog.

I've noticed with Foxxy when she gets like that her breath tends to stink like fishy stuff too. It's really bad. They don't just make that scent with the back end. Dogs pant when they are nervous. That's not weird at all. Panting it like doggie flop sweat.

Other than getting with a trainer or a dog psych, and BTW there are actually psychyatrists for animals which I would go get a second opinion with before dosing a dog with anti anxiety. Drugs can do wonders for a dog, but the side effects might make a person pause. Unless your dog is peeing himself, damaging himself or your property every time the kids make thunder upstairs, training, rather than drugs, should be the first line of defense to build your dog's confidence and train yourself to take appropriate action when the dog gets anxious.

Along with that, thundershirts and aromatherapy do wonders for a lot of dogs. YOu can research the right essential oils online.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

(Page 1 of 120: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.