Postings by Katana (fallen not forgotten)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 79: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Nearly two year old small breed female dog only gains weight and does well on puppy food?
Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '14 7:17pm PST 
We did try the Taste of the wild puppy with Garnet and she didnt do well on it. She still wasnt gaining weight. We have tried different higher calorie adult dry dog foods as well as canned and she still looked really skinny. Enough that she almost looked emaciated. She really seems to like the puppy chow and the ol roy puppy. I know that they arent great for her but she is at least gaining weight on it. She has been checked for all types of worms by her vet and she is worm free so thats not a problem. Her dad is a skinny dog too where her mom is rather heavy for a Min Pin weighing in at around 18 pounds.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lily, Apr 3 2:36 pm

Food & Nutrition > Nearly two year old small breed female dog only gains weight and does well on puppy food?
Garnet

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '14 9:10am PST 
Garnet is almost 2 years old and when we feed her adult dog food she gets really skinny almost to the point of looking like an animal cruelty case. Recently we had a pit bull pup dumped on us and were feeding her puppy chow. I know I know not good for a puppy but she was ok on it for a while then got horrid gas. We switched her to something else with the same results so she now eats Taste Of The Wild puppy which has not given her gas. Garnet and Blaize got the rest of Demon's puppy chow and Garnet seems to be gaining weight at a steady rate now. She had lost almost all her weight before putting her on the puppy chow and looked really bad. Now she is loking really good again. She is back up to eleven pounds and is still gaining. Should we keep her on it or put her back on adult dog food? We tried TOTW with her and Blaize and she lost a lot of weight on it too.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lily, Apr 3 2:36 pm

Dog Health > Garnet's back leg with the knee problem. Should we have the leg taken off or just have it repaired?

Garnet

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 7:32pm PST 
We talked to one of Garnet's vets last week when we took Demon to the vet to get her shots and voiced our concerns about the knee. He didnt say anything about it though. I mentioned that my fear is that because Garnet is so active that she might end up doing something that would undo the surgery and that because of that we were considering maybe having that leg taken off completely at the hip but he had nothing to say. Tank Bella and Hailie have to go to the vet to get their three year rabies shots next month and I am gonna try to set it up to get them in on the day that Dr. Aron is in instead of Dr. Matt. I like them both but it seemed like Dr. Matt was in a bit of a hurry last week.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Apr 6 5:03 pm

Dog Health > Garnet's back leg with the knee problem. Should we have the leg taken off or just have it repaired?

Garnet

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '14 2:09pm PST 
@Vance: She barely uses the leg at all. She is in a lot of pain with that leg. You can tell it because she doesnt want to play or even run on it right now. I dont know what to expect but I do know that after her spay through the humane society I dont want to turn to them for any help again because they did a lot of things wrong and she nearly didnt come out of it. She was very lethargic for two days and off her food for nearly a week as well as getting an infection after the surgical glue came undone.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali, Apr 6 5:03 pm

Garnet

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 5:54pm PST 
We are going to talk to her vet next week.The office that we use has two different vets on staff but Garnet and I like Dr Aron best because he seems to take more time with his clients than Dr. Matt does. That and he makes things easier to understand.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kali, Apr 6 5:03 pm

Garnet

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 2:02pm PST 
Last year after Garnet was spayed we noticed she was limping on one back leg. We took her to the vet and he did x-rays. The x-rays showed that she has a problem with her knee. The vet showed us the x-ray and there is a noticed twist in the tibia bone. There is also a remodeling of the leading edge of the tibia bone. The vet wasnt going to worry with it unless it got worse or if she got to where she wasnt weight bearing on it. She will barely put weight on the leg if she is walking but if she is standing then she will hold the leg up and stand only on three legs. She seems to only put her paw down if she is going to stand or turn around and then its only the toes of her paw. From everything I have read the surgery to repair the leg could cause problems again. And trying to keep her on crate rest didnt go so well when she was spayed. Which would be the better option taking her leg off or try having it repaired? Hopefully someone with a three legged dog might give a little help. I just am concerned that if we try to get the leg repaired it will not help that much or that she will have even more problems with it in the long term.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kali, Apr 6 5:03 pm

Puppy Place > Is she pure bred? Will she ever be safe to go to a home with small children?

Demon Shadow

I'm just a- scared pup tryin- to be brave

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '14 9:30am PST 
She has gotten better about being around men. My husband said that when she bit him it was almost as though she was a little demon instead of a dog. She is content to climb up in his lap now and spends a lot of time hanging with him while I am at classes. She is in good weight because she is getting fed instead of it being hit and miss. She is a typical puppy though wanting to nip and bite but we are trying to teach her better. I have contacted pit rescues but they dont want to take her because she does bite. I am doing what I can to show her that men wont eat her or hurt her. I took her somewhere the other day and just sat on a bench giving her treats while men walked past her. I had a few that asked to pet her and I told them that IF she let them then they could try. She was willing to allow the pets and got treats that she really likes from me. I haven't taken her anywhere where there are bound to be small children yet because it turned cold again and I havent been getting out too much myself.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, Mar 6 4:47 pm

Puppy Place > Is she pure bred? Will she ever be safe to go to a home with small children?

Demon Shadow

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '14 7:43pm PST 
I have training experience as I have had dogs of my own since I was sixteen. My first dog was a shelter dog a female half German Shepherd half collie. She too had been badly abused but she became a wonderful cuddle bug who was good with children and people of all sorts. The local rescues wont take Demon because she has a bite history already at only three months of age. The people who dumped her off on me are really horrible to their dogs. This is the third time they have dumped a dog in my lap saying that if I didnt take the dog in they were gonna shoot it. They have two other pit bulls who are not fed, watered or walked properly or even played with unless a neighbor does it. Demon has settled down a little in the week she as been with us but she is still nipping which I know is a puppy thing so we are working with her on it.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, Mar 6 4:47 pm

Demon Shadow

Barked: Fri Feb 28, '14 11:30pm PST 
Demon was dumped on me by a "friend" who I have known since we were kids. He and his wife dont take proper care of their dogs and never take them to the vet. They often beat their dogs and feed them slop that has set in the fridge long enough to grow hair and start crawling with bugs. They owned Hailie when she was a puppy. Anyway Demon was their most recent dog and at 3 months old she has already been abused, has a bite history, and was "biting" their youngest child. She also is not real good with men. She bit my husband pretty badly the day she was dumped on us,but since then has allowed him to pet her, pick her up,and curls up with him for a while at night. So she is making progress. What I wonder is this. Is she pure pit bull? And even with intense training and work will she ever be safe to place in a home with small children? I am trying to work with her on my short days at school. Monday and Wednesday are my 1 class days. I dont have to be at school till 3 so I have all morning to work with her. I want to find her a home but my husband thinks she may always want to nip and bite children and may always be bad around most men.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, Mar 6 4:47 pm

Food & Nutrition > What Is Your Dog's Favorite Treat(s)?
Demon Shadow

Barked: Fri Feb 28, '14 10:59pm PST 
Bella LOVES the Neutro crunchy banana treats. Tank likes softer treats. The others dont really care but the new one Demon is like Bella and loves the banana ones. She gets the treats whenever she is around strangers and men. She was abused so men send her cowering behind me but she is doing better. She may never be able to be adopted by anyone because she bites. She bit my hubby just because he reached down to pet her. There was no warning growl or anything. She is slowly warming up to him but she cannot be around small children or babies YET. She was destined to be shot had she not gotten dumped in my lap.All because she was biting the lowlifes who owned her, not so much them but their baby. Or at least thats what we were told.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by , Mar 31 3:52 am

(Page 1 of 79: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.