Postings by Gunner's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 157: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Becoming an animal (canine and feline) nutritionist? Long...
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 3:29pm PST 
Toto, that's something I'm honestly worried about if I were to go on with this little idea.

My second thought is to create and sell my own organic, homemade dog food. Or offer a service based business online. Essentially having interested clients call and give phone consultations (along with checking medical records, etc...).

It's sad that a vet wouldn't offer a nutritionist. And the more I thought about it the further I came to same conclusion. frown It all (really) comes down to money.

While I agree that many wouldn't have the ability to create their own diet (actually, that isn't surprising at all!), at least having that option (in bigger areas, obviously) would be beneficial.

*sigh*

ETA: Posted as the wrong Fuzziered face
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Sep 8 4:53 pm

Food & Nutrition > Becoming an animal (canine and feline) nutritionist? Long...
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 2:16pm PST 
Hey guys! Some know me and some don't. I'm not around as much as I used to be due to a crazy teaching career and life just getting in the way.

Paisley, who is now 3, has always had a tough time with high quality kibble. The richest ones actually make her sick, and the middle ground ones she won't touch. I can't really do raw because of my access to the necessary meats and nutrients (not to mention my limited access to freezer space), but recently I've been home cooking for them and her issues completely clear up when I cook a meal (and freeze leftovers in portioned baggies).

What I've learned is that Paisley thrives on a totally different diet than Gunner and Pixie. She actually does much better with veggies (the high protein makes her sick, and she is always eating grass, when I add a steamed veggie puree she doesn't have digestion issues). And I always make grain-free. wink

I'm sincerely thinking about getting a certification in animal nutrition simply to learn more, then perhaps change my own career. I really want to be able to balance out their diets and tailor it to the individual dog.

I also think it would be worthwhile to help others with the same process... I'm just really into it right now!

Moreover, I was trying to decide if I wanted to go for my MA in counseling (kids) or change altogether and see if I can find a job in a vet clinic doing animal nutrition.

Here is the program I was looking at. Specifically the Clinical Pet Nutritionist.

Copy/paste: http://anhs-school.com/pet-nutrition.html

My question for you guys is this: does anyone have any advice, a certain school you've heard is better than others? Or just how to search for jobs in that field (I'm considering asking my vet if she would consider hiring me on a part-time basis as I'm finishing up my certification).

I really want to focus more on holistic care (open to raw and home cooked diets tailored to individual dogs). And I need to be able to do a long distance program...

Thanks all! Sorry so long!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Sep 8 4:53 pm

Behavior & Training > Recall Work with an SA dog and her sibling? Working on independence...

Paisley

Flat Coated- RetrievingAlaska- n Cattle Dog

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 7:10am PST 
So recently, I've been allowing the girls (Pixie and Paisley) off lead one at a time in a safe, open area near my home.

Pixie has decent recall. Being an extremely "velcro" dog, she is never actually out of eyeshot, but finds great fun in zooming past me. I call and she "comes", but not close enough to catch her until she has worn out those zoomies. I'm working on this and it is absolutely getting better.

The one I'm worried about, though, is Paisley.

Paisley is an interesting pup who places a great emphasis on her peers. She stays close...to one of us. If Pixie is running, though, she will follow her anywhere. She always checks to make sure she is with someone, but it's never me. It's the other dogs. Essentially, I have to rely on Pixie's recall if they're loose together, which is fine since she places no emphasis in the other dogs and has an extreme bond with me. And her recall keeps getting better so Paisley has never been led too far!

On her own, Paisley is perfect. She always comes when called and she never runs to where she can't see or hear me.

How do I switch Paisley's focus from my speeding ratty, to me? She refuses treats when we train outside of our home, and I've discovered that informal, praise-based (GOOD GIRL!) training works best since SOMETIMES I can get a happy butt from a few yards away.

I do take her alone to work on recall without the others, and I think that's great for her, but it doesn't change her attitude with Pixie when she is free. She does have SA, especially with the other dogs, so I think that plays a roll in this also.

How do I work on this? Although it isn't a huge problem (she sticks with Pix, there are two local dogs that she has proved able to ignore with a hollered "leave it!"). But how do I help her think independently of Pixie?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Paisley, Aug 16 7:10 am

Behavior & Training > Snatching for treats during training OUCH!

Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 6:48am PST 
Brevin, I love Kikopup on YouTube for stuff like this. Here is her no-bite clicker training method. I did this with a foster with a seriously sharp set of choppers with good results. Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/c77--cCHPyU
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Aug 19 3:04 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Personally attacked for wanting a breeder pup over that of a rescue.

Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 6:38am PST 
wave

It's been awhile since I've come to hang out, but something feels "at-home" about Dogster, so back I come every now and again to pop in and join random conversations.

This one strikes a particular chord with me.

I have three rescues. Gunner is perfect in all except that he will NEVER be able to run off-lead. We found him running by a lake at around 1 year old. But he is brilliant, loving, biddable, and has only a tiny bit of DA limited to dogs inside his home that he is unfamiliar with.

Our second was Paisley, but I'll get to her in a second.

Pixie was dumped as a tiny pup on our doorstep. Having found her previous owners by accident,
("Why do you have Tinker Belle?" Said a neighbor's 4-year old...) we discovered that she had been kept in a kennel in her own urine and feces. Needless to say, it has taken many years to house-train her, consistency, tethering, and we STILL have to physically walk out with her and watch her go before bed.

Now lets talk about paisley. I adopted Paisley from a Doberman rescue with the idea that I would adopt "the dog I wanted". When I spoke with the foster, I explained what I wanted, "I want a highly trainable dog, so I can play in agility, but I also want a dog with a temperament suited to therapy work. I need a dog that I can really get hands-on with that will be great with our cat. It would be best to have a puppy."

What I was told about Paisley was that she "might be a mix, but will be perfect for everything you just mentioned."

What I was given in Paisley, was a puppy with severe SA, an inability to go to formal training (the stress caused her to have worse anxiety), a dog with a crazy prey drive (we still work on her etiquette with cats, and she singlehandedly figured out how to pry open the chicken coup, she would spend HOURS running our fence-line and barking at the cows). And not one thing I "dreamed" about her came true. I did not think I was bringing home the perfect dog, but I did not forsee her specific complications. And I was (especially until we got the SA under control) angry with the rescue worker for simply wanting to find a home for her, rather than work through her very real issues and explain them to me.

Does that mean I love her any less? Absolutely not. She is easily the most bonded of my pups, her SA means she is way in tune with our emotions, and that is so endearing that I could never hate her. I love her so very much. But the problems have worn me out. I will absolutely adopt again, but our next dog will be from a well-researched breeder. And it will be years from now.

And I have done many a rescue! Until those that have no regard for animals discover what they're actually doing, then every rescued animal will simply open space for another. It's all about education, not just rescue, rescue, rescue. And buying from a reputable breeder is part of that education.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Aug 17 9:26 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Vent
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:11pm PST 
Lol. I so totally "get" this.

I have three dogs who are surprisingly well behaved. And I always see work to be done. There are spots everywhere where their behavior could improve, but others always comment on how good they are.

Everyone (my family) said there was no way to control the dogs. That they would destroy everything. That having more than one was iffy. More than two was gross. But having two cats besides was just plain disgusting.

They don't have a clue, lol! I commend you for doing the work you do with them. I'm proud of my own fur babies and the work I (and my husband) have done to get them there. smile It's a process, but the benefits are oh-so-sweet!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Penny Lane, Jul 3 11:06 pm

Behavior & Training > "Dognition" Your thoughts?

Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 4:51pm PST 
Interesting! I just did the dog personality test. I already know this, but my three are all totally different! laugh out loud

I think Paisley is my most empathetic one (she is always worried with our emotions and goes out of her way to make us feel better. Including securing (and giving) us treats, yawning when we do, and worrying when we do. Other than that, she is useless! Haha! No trainability whatsoever.

Gunner is my most trainable, but he has only medium empathy and no patience!

Pixie is trainable as long as I play her games... Typical terrier! I adore it. smile

I don't know how I felt about the questionnaire. It did raise some eyebrows but I don't feel as if it had any leverage to say RED FLAG on some of those questions. Like Gunner will urinate in the house, BUT ONLY if a strange dog is present. No other time will he pee. There was one question on that, no more. It needed to be more in-depth on those questions. Lol!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Jul 18 1:42 pm

Behavior & Training > "Dognition" Your thoughts?

Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 11:44am PST 
I ran across an article in Modern Dog that discusses dognition.com. It's supposed to be a science project that profiles your dog's personality and cognitive ability through training games you do at home then fill in on the site. It is costly, though.

I was wondering if anyone has done it, or heard of it. It looks like it would be fun to do with the fuzzies. smile A fun bonding/training time that is outside of the box. I know Paisley (my hard-headed one) loved the sample game, especially since she didn't have to be perfect.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Jul 18 1:42 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > You shouldn't get a _____ if ______.

Pixie Bell

Is that a ball?

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 7:27pm PST 
Here's one!

You shouldn't get a rat terrier if:

-You can't deal with a dog touching you EVERY SECOND (unless you are ready to play).
-You don't feel like playing even after both you and the dog are well past exhausted.
-You can't resist giving table food (yours) to the dog (fatty, fatty!)
-You don't like a dog that likes you, only you, you alone, no one else (well, everyone else MIGHT be tolerable).
-You don't like a small dog with a big attitude
-You don't feel like playing anymore, never say die!
-You aren't willing to be CONSISTANT with training.
-You aren't willing to find what they want to work for (Ball? Toy? Heck, screw training! Lets go PLAY!).
-You don't like a dog sleeping under your covers.
-You don't like a dog that sleeps between your legs.
-You don't like a dog that wants to play. All the time.
-You don't like a dog that is territorial.
-You don't like a dog that doesn't share her toys.
-You got tired reading the first play comment.
-You can't at least throw a ball for a half hour in the evenings (and then on and off for the next few hours through the house).
-Did I mention that you need to enjoy playing?
-If this entire post has worn you out, you should quit and never consider getting a rat terrier.
-If you're still reading, there may be hope for you.
-If you don't like kisses.
-If you don't like to be bugged for love...or play time.
-If you aren't willing to be completely enamored by a small pup with outrageous energy who, when she is finally exhaused, only wants to snuggle away the rest of the evening. Well, maybe until you take her to potty. Then you may need to toss the ball just a couple more times before bed.
-If you physically don't mind removing the ball from her line of sight before bed.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 7 9:29 am

Choosing the Right Dog > The Irish Wolfhound
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 7:38am PST 
Vance, that's a real worry for me. The expense of owning one. I know if we did then it would be an only fog. And I don't know if I can swing that. eek
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Riversedge of Chaos "Erebus", May 23 11:21 pm

(Page 1 of 157: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.