Postings by Bailey's Family

GO!

Doberman Pinscher > Vet wants me to crop the ears and tail....

Bailey

Give me food,- food and more- food!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 14, '10 8:52am PST 
I would NOT do it at this age. Most likely, if not done BY 10 weeks of age, the ears would not stand anyways and it is an extremely painful surgery. I remember my 3 girls going through a LOT of pain with bandage changing, massaging the ears, etc...I swore I would NEVER again do this to any dobie I may have. The tails, when done as pups, is a quick easy proceedure (I had one litter and they did all tails & dew claws in a matter of minutes) but I would not put an adult dog through this as they also, being older, can lick at it and you could have other complications. I would tell your vet that you don't believe it is necessary and ask them to NOT question your decision again. I cannot believe our vet is even suggesting these at this age. I think you need a different vet. My vet has always said "it's a matter of what the owner wants and no medical necessity behind it". This is not even required for show dogs any longer. Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Delta, Apr 3 9:08 am

Doberman Pinscher > Heart disease......what now?
Bailey

Barked: Sun Mar 14, '10 8:41am PST 
We also lost our Macey 5 yrs ago just last Monday to cardiomyopothy, and dobermans are well known for this disease. Our girl they tried 3 different human heart medications and she seemed to be doing really well. She was also fighting cancer at the same time. Since they only gave her 3 months with the cancer, I did NOT limit her only because I wanted her to love what time she had left. If it weren't for the cancer, I would have limited her because she actually died of a heart attack in my arms after running around playing with our dobie pup. These meds can be VERY hard on them to find the right one, but they did help her. I'm sorry to say, but there's not much hope for cardiomyopothy as my vet said at any time she could have had a heart attack. I'm sorry I can't be more positive....hope all is well...
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 13 10:17 am

Dog Health > My dog is losing weight but no other symptoms.

Bailey

Barked: Wed Jan 13, '10 12:02pm PST 
i have increased her to an additional meal to see what happens there as I'm going to take her in this Friday with me when I drop off another urine sample to check her weight again. The symptoms that can match this other Pancreatic insufficiency is her always being hungry, she likes to eat kleenex out of the garbage, weight loss, etc...but the huge appetite & kleenex thing she's always done...we'll see what the urinallisis shows again.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bailey, Jan 13 12:02 pm

Bailey

Barked: Wed Jan 13, '10 10:08am PST 
I unfortunately know all too well of all the ailments dobies are known for, believe me....UGH... After thousands of dollars on other dobies, it's almost like I'm a pro. Bailey does get an annual EKG which was just done in August '09 as she was born w/ a hole in her heart, so we do this test yearly for any possible changes and we also do a yearly blood work-up for her as we had another dobie w/ k9 hepitits, so we monitor her closely for the normal ailments. I'm also wondering if it could be pancreatic insufficiency as some of her symptoms match this also. Her morning urine was NOT as concentrated as it should have been; not overly concentrate.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bailey, Jan 13 12:02 pm

Bailey

Barked: Wed Jan 13, '10 5:24am PST 
My 5 yr old doberman has lost 16# since Aug. She was 89# at her last visit to the vets and is now down to 76#. I did decrease her food a bit in Aug to get her down a few pounds, but in the past month she's steadily lost even when I've increased her food again. No other symptoms or problems; she eats good, same water intake, same bathroom habits; no worms when checked and blood work showed all is normal and no infections or diabetes, etc. Only thing is her urine wasn't as consentrate for it being a 1st morning one. Vet is suggesting couple more urine tests w/ more & more time between water being allowed to see if she has kidney disease. Wouldnt the blood work show something also if this were the case? Any help you would be greatly appreciated. Vet says she's still in "normal range weight wise" for a female doberman but to me she looks too thin as her spin stands out now and slightly on the ribs...thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bailey, Jan 13 12:02 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.