Postings by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie"'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 172: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 10:27pm PST 
I'm still a little skeptical and just kind of hanging back to see what happens.. Whatever happens, happens. I'd like for dogster to stick around in the community sense and grow and get rid of all the issues it has.. But I'm not sure I'm very trusting of them anymore either..
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Big news from the scoop!

Barked: Thu Feb 13, '14 2:45am PST 
Like many of you.. I'm feeling wary of the whole mind change. I also agree that Saymedia has made it clear they weren't our 'friends' to begin wiyh. I will wait and see and also encourage Tiller to continue with her site.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Pogo, Feb 18 7:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Sigh.

Barked: Fri Feb 7, '14 3:58pm PST 
Unfortunately, it's too cold here for walks.. its in the -30°C range with the wind chill on the farm. frown

Im trying to spend more quality time though and I'm really trying to watch him with the cats cause Im scared of his avoidance turning aggressive if he feels pushed.. trying to encourage avoidance.

My poor boy. I can't wait gor this to pass.,
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 7 3:58 pm

Behavior & Training > Sigh.

Barked: Thu Feb 6, '14 9:54pm PST 
Charlie isn't happy.

And I don't blame him. We are kind of in a 'transition' home right now because, well, long story short, the renovations being done on our new home aren't complete because the cabinets they ordered for the kitchen are on backorder and therefore, we get to wait. Hopefully we'll be in on the first of March.

Anyway.. That means me, the baby, the two dogs, the snake and the rabbit are all crashed at my mom's farm, while my husband stays in the city for work, and our stuff sits in storage.

That's fine, I don't have an issue with that stuff.

But Charlie is so unhappy here that it breaks my heart. He hates it here. He and my mom's Rottweiler, Grizz do not get along so they have to be on a 'crate and rotate' situation. To top it off, she has cats. He used to love cats, play with them and everything until he was attacked by one at four years old(one he was raised with), and then had panic attacks when a cat would be near him. He no longer panics(trying desperately to escape, whining, shaking badly, panting, whale eye, shedding, drooling, tucked tail, etc), and I'm glad I have him at that point... But he's still not comfortable with cats anymore..

Now he uses the avoidance tactic. If they come near him, then he goes further away or to a different area. He tries not to look at them for long(avoids eye contact in particular), and basically wants nothing to do with them. That's fine.. I'm not going to force it. If he's not comfortable, he can leave if it's what makes him feel safe.

What made me realize how unhappy he is... He goes and lays in his kennel in an attempt to avoid the cats, or to have alone time, he isn't happy go lucky anymore..

I want my Char back... I feel bad...
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 7 3:58 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Not sure where to put this, but I need some help [Broward - FLA]

Barked: Mon Jan 27, '14 10:19pm PST 
You could write up a pet resume for each of your dogs(google it for ideas), and offer a non-refundable pet deposit, as well as references(including Vet) for any potential landlords. Also, put up ads in local classefieds about looking for a rental, and tell them upfront about your dogs, individually. I did all of this, and managed to snag a pretty sweet rental where I live, with two dogs. Good luck! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 5 1:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?

Barked: Mon Jan 27, '14 11:37am PST 
I haven't really signed up for Pets4Pals yet.. been busy with baby and packing...

But I also don't like that it caters largely towards the human side of things either. I look forward to seeing it grow, though.

Ultimately though... I don't care so much about the site, as the educational part of things(which, let's face it, was largely from us!) and staying connected with those who I enjoyed conversing with.

I will miss all of what Dogster was... Always. But I don't think there will ever be another site identical, ever. There might be similarities, but ultimately... I think we all need to grieve, let it go, and find somewhere where we can all stay connected and STILL educate others(some might be less willing to do so). Whether P4P will be that site or not, is yet to be determined.

I'm going to miss learning and educating, and I'm going to miss the Dogster regulars that are here that could give their input, support, advice, and a good ear(or eyes, as it were) WAY more than the site features.
[notify]
» There has since been 164 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks

Barked: Thu Jan 23, '14 10:42am PST 
Bunny - yes you have. I passed you my email, and I think my facebook too. But I do believe I sent friend requests to a few who DO have facebook anyway.

Kato - I loved fostering, and I hated it at the same time. I hated, largely, the so-called behaviorist that I was dealing with in regards to the severe RG with a Beagle I was fostering, but loved my foster dog and fostering in and of itself. Beau was an escape artist. He could climb chainlink, could pull it apart from the bottom if it wasn't secured to the ground and literally pull apart a giant hole for him to escape through(I have pictures! - somewhere..), would push and push at a gate until he bent it enough to get out, could bust out of crates, would chew off leashes, etc. I had a lot of fun trying to figure out how to thwart his moves with those, but his "behaviorist" simply said, "It's in his instincts. You can't change that." Screw you, I couldn't. I did. And he eventually got a foster home.

It LARGELY depends on WHO you foster through, and the types of dogs you can handle.

Although Chip, there, looks just...... gah, I want to hug him he's so cute.
[notify]
» There has since been 858 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:11 am

Behavior & Training > Should I find another vet?

Barked: Wed Jan 22, '14 10:35pm PST 
shock

That's abuse in my eyes. Plain and simple. That vet ABUSED your puppy. YES FIND A NEW VET. DO NOT GO BACK TO THIS VET. If ANYONE ever handled my dogs like that, they'd learn VERY quickly that it's not my dogs they have to worry about getting hurt by. I'd also find out if there's a way to report him for it too(can you report Vets for this? I'd go to the media no less, though).

That's bull.

I'm sorry you had someone who SHOULD be someone you can trust, abuse and hurt your puppy like that. Find a new Vet, one that handles your pup with care.

I would file complaints too if that Vet doesn't run that practice and even if they do.

The alpha theory has long been dispelled. The idiot..

I would treat your puppy like nothing has changed, keep rewarding for good behavior, and keep your normal routine. Hopefully she bounces back from that traumatic experience. I would make a point of socializing her with new people, with lots of treats when doing so to help her associate other people with positive things and to try to keep this experience from having a lasting impact on her. Poor baby. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Feb 10 3:58 am

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks

Barked: Wed Jan 22, '14 3:56pm PST 
I hope to keep in contact with everyone and that we all find somewhere to migrate to.. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 872 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 7:11 am

Behavior & Training > With March around the corner and Dogster shutting down.....

Barked: Wed Jan 22, '14 3:34pm PST 
Pm'd you. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Feb 12 6:04 am

(Page 1 of 172: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.