GO!

Is my Poodle Blue?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Dee Dee

Turbo charged- Poodle

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 3:27am PST 
I have a little baby Blue Miniature Poodle, she is 10 months old and as yet is still jet black with not a hint of Blue. She is registered as a Blue and I was assured she is a Blue. Can anyone let me know when I should start to see signs of her Blue hair coming through I have shown her when she was just over 6 months old and she did very well gaining two second places in two classes.

Laura
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 2:55pm PST 
It depends on her lines... I have a male, Toto, who didn't start to turn until he was 3, almost four, and I have a female, Drama, who was completely turned with her adult coat at 13 months. There is no way I would ever sell a poodle with a guarantee it would end up a blue... even breeders who have been at it for thirty or more years are often wrong...Toto was purchased at 10 months, completely jet black. His breeder (30 years breeding and over 150 champions produced) told me he may be blue or he may not. The only for sure way is with DNA testing, and that only identifies the gene, not how much it will be expressed in any particular dog. You may have a blue like Toto who only has a light tail and face, or you may have a completely "gray" dog with no black hairs at all, like Drama, or one somewhere in between.
[notify]