GO!

Pasadena CA Ever want to be a puppy raiser for a service dog?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bailey- (SDIT)

Born to serve

Barked: Fri May 21, '10 11:31am PST 
Hi, I've got a unique puppy raising opportunity. I'm looking for a kind of puppy raiser like they use in service/guide dog organizations. I am trying to train my own service dog. At this point, I can't have puppy living in my home because of my living situation (I've got a very elderly dog). But if I want a service dog I've got to start training now since I'm starting graduate school soon.

So here's the deal: I am looking for a sort of modified puppy raiser experience. The puppy would live at your house but I would take him virtually every day and spend at least 8 hours dog training and taking him out- So I would need the raiser to live near or in Pasadena. When my old dog passes, or when I go to school, I will be taking the dog. I will pay for everything; vet, food, toys, etc. I know usually puppy raisers have to do a lot of work like taking him to classes, public places, etc. So I am looking for a 'puppy raiser lite' since I will be doing most of the work (and I want to do it too!). Mostly its a safe haven for the dog and would be good socialization. This would start in July and I would be taking the dog back within a year (at the very latest).

What you would get:

· A cute, healthy, well-bred 8-week-old labradoodle puppy (25lb as an adult)

· Someone to take him out 8+ hours a day

· Free vet care, food, supplies, etc.

The work:

· Feeding

· Overnight care- like potty breaks etc.

· following my training directions (like using only positive reinforcement)

· limited training (like crate training which I could not do since he'll be at your house)

· And of course, giving him back to me when it's time (the hardest part!)

This would be great practice for someone who had been thinking about getting a puppy and wants to see what goes into it, or for someone who has always wanted a puppy but hasn't gotten one for financial reasons. Cats are ok as long as they are nice but I would prefer my puppy raiser to have no other dogs. So if you are interested, send me an email ASAP (thirty2flavors01@gmail.com) and we can talk more about it.
[notify]