GO!

Want to be a mastiff mama

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Oreo

Born to eat and- look at you- funny

Barked: Thu Aug 13, '09 6:13pm PST 
Im kinda all over the forums looking for my next dog. I'm thinking on about several breeds which one is the ever majestic mastiff. I was wanting to add another dog to my family of happy mutts. I have two small dogs. A pom/pap/chi and an amer. cocker.I love the convenience of small breeds but want the affection of a large pooch. I used to baby sit a brindle mastiff a few years ago who was just an absolute clown and a joy to have as company. He was everything you would want in a huge dog like him.

I've researched all I could about the breed in my quest to find my big doggie companion.

I did find a huge internet debate about whether they can be apartment dogs or not.

I will be in an apartment for some time before renting a home.A After searching far and wide I did find some apartments that don't have restrictions on the breed or weight and has a small private green area(yard). For potty purposes only.

Here's some factors to consider:
They pooch will be leaving with me as a training partner and teaching aid.

The pooch will living me and walked to the dog park and around the park daily.

The apartment considered is about 1,000 to 1,060 sq ft

I'd prefer a male.

I'd like to adopt instead of buy from a breeder.

I will be in the city scene area (sorta).

truly I have millions of questions but don't know where to start and even what to ask.

I would just like your stories about you mastiff babies. Pros and Cons of the breed(in your opinion), lifestyle and what you enjoy most. Just your overall opinion about the breed and kif Im even near a good fit to have a Mastiff.

All comments are appreciated. Even if you don't see me fit just let me know.Thanks guys.
[notify]
Posh

Pup-Pup

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 8:02am PST 
Hi Oreo, why don't you look up Mastiff Club of America. It has a lot of info and also a rescue link. way to go
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 8:13am PST 
They pooch will be leaving with me as a training partner and teaching aid.
I have used both my mastiffs as training partners and teaching aids. They are very trainable and do great, but both of mine also have the mindset that "if it's too hot, if I'm tired, or if I simply don't feel like it, I'm bigger than you and you can't make me." lol.

The pooch will living me and walked to the dog park and around the park daily.
They are not a breed that needs a ton of exercise. Of course you always get exceptions to this, but neither of my dogs need much exercise. And if you get anything under 2 years old, you'll want to limit exercise even further to prevent problems down the road.

The apartment considered is about 1,000 to 1,060 sq ft
How big is your bed? lol

I'd prefer a male.
I love both my kiddos, but my male is my baby. They go through a very obnoxious stage, but in my experience and my breeders, they are much more laid back and go with the flow.

I'd like to adopt instead of buy from a breeder.
Fabulous! Mastiff rescue is full of awesome dogs in need of the right home

I will be in the city scene area (sorta).
Again, how big is your bed? lol Thats the only size that matters.

truly I have millions of questions but don't know where to start and even what to ask.

I would just like your stories about you mastiff babies. Pros and Cons of the breed(in your opinion), lifestyle and what you enjoy most. Just your overall opinion about the breed and kif Im even near a good fit to have a Mastiff.

My husband and I both work full-time. He in the military, me as a dog wrangler, trainer, and grooming apprentice. My pooches do get to go to work with me most of the time, but if we're busy they stay at home. We're very laid back people and don't care to have our lives revolve around walking the dog and making sure the dog gets enough exercise, so thats one of the reasons mastiffs work perfectly for us. They truly are gentle giants. It's not that these are lazy dogs, it's that they simply dont' require the physical stimulation that other breeds do. They are very trainable, but can be stubborn and independent, and like I described, mine have the "you can't make me" personality. They are both well-trained, it's just that they get to a point where they are smart enough to realize that they simply don't have to do anything. For a treat, however, they'll do anything. lol. They do eat quite a bit during their growing years, but that tapers off. Unfortunately I do have two growing dogs, but I feed raw so it is pretty cheap. They are prone to your typical "big dog" health issues like hip and elbow problems, as well as few other things. I would classify them as fine apartment dogs, only needing a walk and space to potty. At least, mine would be! Feel free to PM if you have any more qs! I am always up for talking about my babies!
[notify]