GO!

we're getting our 1st Mastiff!! Lots of questions....

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sienna

must lick

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '07 10:28am PST 
hi all!! We are getting a Mastiff puppy at the end of the month. We are very excited! My first question is we want to crate train her and I don't know where to get a crate big enough (I want one that will grow with her, with a divider) any suggestions on where I can get one? Also any advise or suggestions or words of wisdom you all have for us would be wonderful!!! Thanks!!!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '07 3:27pm PST 
I get a lot of stuff from dog.com. I received discounts from dog.com for registering my dogs with the akc. Most of their stuff is about half the price of pet stores.
[notify]
Wyatt

Big Boy

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '07 10:19pm PST 
We got Wyatt,our 1st mastif, last year at this time. We got a nice crate at Pet's Mart that has worked well for us. In fact he still uses it as his bed occasionally. He is a year old now and weighs a about 160 lbs.We'd be happy to share stories and hear what you are going thru with your new baby! email anytime with stories or questions.

Sharon and Wyatt
[notify]

samson

THE BIG MAN

Barked: Tue Mar 4, '08 12:04pm PST 
Let me know how to get a discount from dog.com I just placed an order and am AKC registered. About getting a mastiff. Look into the mastiff rescues. They had alot of yound puppies on there that were pure. It would be something to consider.
[notify]
Sparky

When U Spell

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 11:41am PST 
Hi,

Remember one thing for sure... OEM is the only breed, how huge it grows, the best place to rest at ANY stage of life will be the owner's lap.
[notify]
Darwin

St. Patrick's- Survival of the- Fittest

Barked: Sun Jul 27, '08 7:04am PST 
applauseAwsome Breed! I own two at present. I recently lost my first to arthritits.
A crate with a divider is best. I however just used several plastic crates of different sizes for mine. When our guys are full grown they don't fit in a crate, so we also got them used to baby gates. Your breeder probably already uses them. They are very respectfull of boundries. In the case of needing to confine without a crate, a small room, like a bathroom with a baby gate works well. We even took the door off a small closet and used it as a "crate" when our boy was neutered and needed to be confined. It worked great.
Our boy right now is too big for a crate. They simply dont make one big enough, so he and now our female have the run of the house when we are gone. Of course a baby gate goes on the couch or they would be on the couch, but they do great.
One bit of advise though, if you own any other dogs of smaller sizes...buy all of your toys big enough for the mastiff. This will prevent costly vet bills pertaining to obstructions.
As a whole though, I will never be without a Mastiff. I love the breed. They are gentle loving respectfull and housetrain so easily. My first was 100% houstrained in 2 weeks.
Can't say enough of them! They are great.
Congrats and you will truly love your Mastiff.cheer
[notify]
Norman

Snorin' Norman

Barked: Fri Aug 8, '08 9:16am PST 
i buy everything for my mastiff on ebay. i've got a super large XL crate for under $70, a size that's bigger that's bigger than anything at petsmart, etc. he's 125 lbs now and he still is comfortable in it.
[notify]
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Tue Sep 2, '08 7:50am PST 
Hi My mommy says you should stock up on washclothts smile ( Droolrags ) We love our big babies, you are going to enjoy you new pup so much. Crate training is best, because of the chewing. Our Bo was a big chewer for a couple of months. Furniture, shoes, plants you name it. Also I have never had a more sensitive breed, our teenage son yelled ( not even very loud ) at Bo one time for chewing up his I pod. It took him days of cuddling and bribery to get back in his good grace. I find food and praise works best for all three of my dogs. Mastiffs are so loveable and eager to please, all I have to do is look at him ( you know the look you give the kids sometimes laugh out loud And of course the drooling, I usually have a washcloth in my pocket or nearby. You are going to love your new addition so much, Mastiffs are very addictive.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 5:54pm PST 
We got Bam-Bam the Great Dane size crate (54x35x45) from petedge.com. It is made by midwest, and you can buy a divider panel for it to keep the space smaller until he is bigger.
I noticed Bam-Bam tends to get hot at night with a regular bed, so I recommend Primo Pads. They are a little pricey (especially the size you would need) but virtually indestructable and provide cushion between the dogs bones and the crate, which is important for elbows and kneessmile
My next words of wisdom are: Unless you are willing to do a lot of research and learning, DO NOT FEED PUPPY CHOW! It can cause growth issues, and its just not worth it. Mastiffs grow fast as it is, and puppy kibble often has high levels of calcium and phosphorus which causes fast growing which can lead to joint problems, pano, etc. Feed a good quality adult kibble: Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, Eagle Pack, Canidae, etc.
Something we invested in: An electric waterer with a filtration system. Because of the amount of backwash and drool, it has been worth the $50. Bam-Bam loves his special watersmile
Definitely do puppy classes. Bam-Bam and I just graduated our first puppy class, and he did so well that we are going to start taking rally classes. Trust me, you do not want a dog with the potential to reach 200 lbs that you cannot control!!!
You can also join a number of forums out there to learn about the breed from some of the nations top breeders. Two that I am a member of are: mastiffs.org and worldmastiffforum.com
If you have any questions or want to share stories, feel free to contact me! I'm a huge researcher (for fun!) and if I don't know an answer, I always make a point to try and find it!
[notify]
Deogee

I love to- cuddle!

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 6:10pm PST 
A few things that make life with a Mastiff easier... Mr. Clean Magic Erasers take the crusty drool off the wall without harming the paint. Set boundaries early on (bed, couches, etc) they adapt quickly and obey easily. A common mistake is to allow the puppies privaleges like getting on the bed or couch, and then trying to change the rules when they get too big. It doesn't work as Mastiffs are truly creatures of habit. Don't let a 25 pound puppy do anything or go anywhere that you wouldn't let a 200 adult do! Good luck, Mastiffs are a unique, amazing, and rewarding breed to own. They are so loyal and lovable that they make their humans feel like royalty!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2