GO!

I'm a lab... but what else???

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sammie

You mean, I'm- not the queen???

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 4:33pm PST 
Hi everyone! I'm new to Dogster, loving it so far. I'm a 1 year old rescue pup and my mom doesn't know what I'm a mix of... lab is definitely there but not sure what else.

I have a really soft, silky coat, floppy ears and my back two paws are white (not characteristic of labs).
I weigh 75 pounds right now and my vet said I'm still growing. The people at the shelter said I would only be 45 poundss... boy were they wrong
[notify]
Marley- Tillman- Dukes

Marley

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 2:29pm PST 
Hi, I was looking at your picture and it is hard to tell mixes when it comes to labs. I am a lab enthusiast, and every thing I have read dating back to the late 1800s has said lab genes come out dominant when crossed with other breeds. This means the dog will look mostly lab or all black,in most cases, while having white feet or patches like your dog. I just wanted to wish you good luck on finding out what mix you are and let you know why it may be so difficult to find answers.

Edited by author Mon Feb 13, '12 2:31pm PST

[notify]
Sammie

You mean, I'm- not the queen???

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 7:56am PST 
Thanks Marley, that's really useful information. I'm glad to hear that there are other lab enthusiasts out there. I have always liked labs but I did not realize how affectionate, loyal and intelligent they are until I had one of my own. Regardless of what she's crossed with, I couldn't be happier.
[notify]

Marley- Tillman- Dukes

Marley

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 10:23pm PST 
I forgot. The white paws and tuxedo markings are probably a genetic manifistation of the lab ancestor, the St Johns Water Dog. Google image a picture of Buccluech Nell who was considered the first 'Labrador'. She has all the white markings of the St Johns Water Dog but with Labrador dispositions. For some reason, the genetics come out when mixed. Im no canine genetic expert, but I have read alot of history on Labradors or Lesser Newfoundland Dogs.
[notify]