GO!

Medicines, Walks and How much food to feed...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chester

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 3:20pm PST 
Okay, I have felt so bad because I have the flu...I have not been able to walk my dogs...I tried, but I became dizzy, fell and...well,just couldn't happen. I also walk them 5-6 times a day, fairly long walks, also, but if you were to look at my lab and the way he acts, you would think that he NEVER gets to go outside...So, we walk him again...You get my point. On the days that I can only do 5 walks, is that enough? We are getting a 150 foot run installed in a week, so that will help, but the people who had him before just kept him tied up as a puppy, so I was not sure if that was why he was so excited to walk and go outside all of the time. He also is such a huge barker, which scares people, but he just wants to play because he had never been around other dogs before...
Also, Have any of you ever heard of Vormec Plus? I found it online and was wondering about it. I was planning on buying some if it worked because it is supposed to help with absolutely everything. Any thoughts? Also, the owners before were feeding him 2 cups a day...he is a 125 pound dog...The vet said he should get 6 cups total. I am just wondering what you all think about it. He has thrown up a bit two times...with undigested food. So, I was thinking 5 cups? 3 in the morning and 2 in the evening? I use Blue Buffalo, so I always thought less was okay because they utilize more of the food because it has no fillers.
Thanks! wave

Edited by author Sun Jan 22, '12 3:23pm PST

[notify]
Sammie

You mean, I'm- not the queen???

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 4:40pm PST 
Hi Chester - How long are the walks you go on? I found that when Sammie is over-tired she acts very hyper. At these times I make sure she goes back in the bedroom and has some time to relax. We walk one or two times per day for 1-2 miles, that's plenty of exercise for her.

I have never heard of that medication before but I would be skeptical of anything you find online. What did your vet think?

As far as the feedings go- 2 cups a day for a 125 lb dog seems too little. I feed Sammie 4 cups per days and she weighs 75 lbs. Is Chester hungrier in the morning or at night? Your plan for 3 cups at one feeding and 2 at the other sounds great smile

Hope this helps, good luck!
[notify]
Buffy

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 11:46am PST 
6 cups of food is a lot - especially a calorie rich food like Blue Buffalo. Its very rich - I learned the hard way. 6 cups of a crap food might be adequate but I cant believe thats the case for BB. My older lab eats 4 cups/day (at most) and is a healthy 90 lbs. I also agree that sometimes more activity makes them amped up. They dont have enough down time... At my peak health I was walking Buffy 2s a day with some in between time outside on her own. She seemed more than content. Bless you for fitting in 5-6 xs a day. How long/far are those walks? I dont know anything about the med you mentioned so cant help you there.
[notify]

Marley- Tillman- Dukes

Marley

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 2:56pm PST 
You may want to consult a trainer about the behavioral problems. Labs are athletes and have lots of energy but should be fine indoors especially with the amount you give them. He seems like he was never properly taught manners by his previous owners. This may be why he doesnt treat indoors differently than outdoors. Every lab I've known flips an 'off switch' inside. They know inside is for relaxing. This may also be why he barks at other dogs on a leash. Labs also do not normally bark out of aggression and definately should not display any. If his owners just left him tied up in the back, then I am betting he just needs a simple course in doggie manners. Remember labs are very intelligent and adaptable. They can learn quick but they have to be kept in check due to their mischief. Sometimes they can be too smart for their own good.
[notify]