GO!

10 week old lab puppy - seems to pee constantly!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '12 1:03pm PST 
Apologies if this is a naive question, but this is our first dog. We have had our puppy two weeks, and are tring to housetrain him- however he seems to need to pee almost every half hour- and has a bad habit of doing it every time we leave him alone in a room ( even just to nip upstairs). Is this normal. We feel like we have to watch him every second he is awake, which is becoming exhausting. Any advice??
[notify]
Dexter

Loverboy

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 8:24pm PST 
Is your pup crate trained. If not you would be suprised how much that would make your life easier. Any time you are not with him he should be in a crate. He should not pee in the crate and if he does I would bring him in and have him tested for a UTI, just to be on the safe side.
[notify]
Marley- Tillman- Dukes

Marley

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 2:42pm PST 
Definately try crate training. I crate train my labs as puppies for 2 reasons. First, a crate is a dog's 'safety nest' and it helps with house training as well as providing a comfortable place to sleep. Also, dog's do not go to the bathroom in their own house. A crate is great for house training by allowing a constant routine of going straight from the crate to outside. This ensures the dog consistently goes outside which in turn recieves praise from you. Remember labs are bred to please their owners. Second, labs are prone to seperation anxiety. Crates ensure a controlled furniture free environment to teach them that you will be back. Try leaving for 10 mins and coming back in and gradually work your way up.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 12:54pm PST 
Thanks for all responses- we persisted with crate training and Dexter is now a wonderfully housetrained puppy, who happily sleeps in his crate at night and when we are out of the house- although he will have none of the crate when we are in during the day, howling constantly. But i suppose you can't have everything, and we still love him!!!!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 12:55pm PST 
Thanks for all responses- we persisted with crate training and Dexter is now a wonderfully housetrained puppy, who happily sleeps in his crate at night and when we are out of the house- although he will have none of the crate when we are in during the day, howling constantly. But i suppose you can't have everything, and we still love him!!!!
[notify]
Hightest- Christmas- Glory "Bodi

Barked: Sat Apr 21, '12 10:58am PST 
When we were "potty training" now 2 1/2 year old male Lab, we not only took him outside about every 30 minutes, but also after EVERY time he ate or drank something. They have little bladders, as well, they lack the maturity and training to "hold it"; very much like toddlers. They need to be taught and the brain needs to make the connection. Patience, persistence, and consistency are your best friends when training a new pup.
[notify]