GO!

Help!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chester

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 6:37am PST 
I met this man at the Animal ER that came up to me asking me if I wanted a dog. He explained to me that he was AKC registered (okay...) and that he needed to get rid of his dog. He bought him when he was a puppy as a as present for his then three year old (what, did you think she was going to take care of him?) and now he was too big to handle him or spend time with him (wow!). He said he was awesome, but an appointment to go to the Human Society to be dropped off. Well, I know they would put this 120 pound GORGEOUS and SWEET dog down. I met him, played with him as the dog I had been doggy sitting for a year was being treated and told him I could take him, but not until the end of January. When I was out and about, he called me and said they were all out with their family and had the dog, he put his daughter on the phone who begged me to take the dog now or else he would go to the humane society and he would die (again, wow). We met up, of course and he had nothing with him that he promised to bring. His crate, dog run and his "babies" (I explained that toys would help the transition since it would smell like home). He did not even bring any food. The wife let it slip that she washed his rawhide because it was dirty (huh?), as he had only ever been in the house a couple of times. They kept him tied out (WTF!). He is doing better walking on a leash, but my issue is that I am getting ready to have surgery on my leg to remove some muscle...I have to stay off of it. I have walked him anyway, but I am paying for it. I know, I know...I should have thought of that and my friend that I have staying with me promised to help walk him, but I want to let him run. This cutie has so much he wants to do and I am having problems finding a good place for him to run! Anyone know of a good place in San Antonio, TX? They have a dog park, but it is not the best place for really running and playing. Also, he barks kind of meanly at a couple dogs in the neighborhood...he is sweet to everyone, so I do not know if he is just barking...he drags me and freaks out...I am not sure what to do about that. He is going potty outside now (only took a couple of days to fully get him to do his thing on his walk...loves those training treats)! Can anyone suggest a good harness for him? I bought one and took it back because it looked like it was cutting in to him. Also, I gave him one of my stuffed animals to hug that had my smell and he seems more interested in ripping it up...I have had a Doberman (Dane is on my page) and a German Shepherd(rest in peace, Dresden) in my life, and this guy has his own thing going on...What is a decent toy he cannot destroy and I would just like any advice at all!shrugnaughtynaughtynaughtynaughty
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 9:30am PST 
Hi! For the chewing you can get a nylabone for heavy chewers. Make sure you get the heavy chewers or it will be gone within a half hour. I have a bullmastiff rottie mix and a chocolate lab and they last about a year with these two. I really think dogs just love to tear up stuffed animals, all the dogs I have had just tear the stuffing out of them. As for somewhere to get a work out I don't know what is around your area. I am from California. Is the dog kid friendly? Maybe one of the bigger kids in the neighborhood can walk or play with him. It sounds like you have a very active pup and he just needs to run and play. I am sorry to hear about your surgery I hope everything will be ok. I wish I could give you better advice frown I wish you luck and hope everything turns out for you. smile
[notify]
Chester

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 1:29pm PST 
Yes, He is a very nice Labrador...I have never even heard of a Lab that was not nice! smileI will try out the Nylabone you were talking about and yes, he is a very active big guy. He has been sweet to everyone on the street when we walk him. Even the neighbor kids next door. I have never entertained the idea that he would not be kid friendly...hmmm...I think maybe I will check out a Little League Ball field or something...He walks around with his football I gave him and walks up to the door...he did not do that until I started playing with him. smile
[notify]