GO!

Black Lab Puppy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue Nov 1, '11 2:51pm PST 
We just got our black lab puppy. She is 6 weeks old ( yes i know that is too young to be away from her mother..) anyways..

She sleeps upstairs with us in her kennel. While we are down stairs, she is in the living room most of the time sleeping...

Her sleeping habit is a little odd. We put a blanket in between our couches, and she will sit in front of the blanket and nestle her head into the blanket and sleep like that.

Is that okay?
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Wed Nov 2, '11 11:30pm PST 
Congrats on your new puppy. I don't think that it is a problem. When they are that little they like to snuggle there little heads were it is warm. As long as she can breath she will be ok. smile

Our Chocolate lab Rubi is now 1 yr 5 months old. I really thought that labs like to snuggle but she likes to spread out and always sleep in her own bed.

Rubi is our 1st lab. Is your little black puppy your first lab? Just wondering if you could give any advice on the little teeth showing that she does when she is nervous.
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Wed Nov 2, '11 11:31pm PST 
Congrats on your new puppy. I don't think that it is a problem. When they are that little they like to snuggle there little heads were it is warm. As long as she can breath she will be ok. smile

Our Chocolate lab Rubi is now 1 yr 5 months old. I really thought that labs like to snuggle but she likes to spread out and always sleep in her own bed.

Rubi is our 1st lab. Is your little black puppy your first lab? Just wondering if you could give any advice on the little teeth showing that she does when she is nervous.
[notify]

Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 5:32pm PST 
At 6 weeks old - she will be a master sleeper! Puppies often burrow into their blankets, toys or siblings for warmth. Its not unusual at all. Harley/Rubi - I am on my 4th lab now. Showing of teeth in any dog can be a cause for concern. Not always of course, but be very, very cautious and determine what triggers it. Nervousness can lead to biting. However, my older lab Buffy "smiles". She doesnt do it when nervous but rather when shes happy or excited. In fact, when shes giving a warning to our new pup, she doesnt even show her teeth at all. She just lets out a low growl. When Rubi shows that behavior, be certain not to try and "reward" her by attempting to soothe her or make her feel better. Its a behavior that warrants a stern "no" or ignoring the behavior. Cooing, cuddling etc when you feel shes nervous may just be reinforcing the behavior. Best of luck!
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 9:33pm PST 
Thank you Bella. Rubi show's her teeth when she is excited. She loves to show them when she is getting ready for a walk. If she shows her teeth when she is nervous I correct it with a stern NO and make her lay down. Rubi is our 1st lab and we have a friend that told us that every lab he has had done the same thing and told us not to let her do it. I have to be honest tho. When I play with her I tell her to smile and show her my teeth and she show's me hers. She is very lovable. My husband and I are pretty strick with our dogs, since we take them every where. We even take them camping almost every month. All our friends tell us we have the best behaved dogs and that is nice. I truly think they can be better. They listen to us even when there is a lot of going on around us. Thank you again for the advice. cheer
[notify]