Mastiff Nutrition

Clyde

noblest of the- family; he- stands alone..

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 9:54am PST 
Mastiffs and other giant breed dogs, such as Great Danes and Saint Bernards, require special nutrition. All too often, these dogs are lumped in with large breed dogs, such as Rottweilers, German Shepards, Golden Retrievers, and Labradors. These dogs range in weight from 50 - 100 pounds. To lump giant breeds in with these dogs isn't fair to your dog. When you're talking about the health of a dog that will reach 110 - 250+ pounds when fully grown, there are special nutrional needs that must be met. The purpose of this post is to look at those special needs. By the way, I am not a fan of "All Life Stages" foods. How can one food meet the high energy needs of a puppy and still be right for them as an adult? I know others will have different opinions on that, but that's just my opinion. So for the purpose of this post, we will look at giant breed puppy and adult nutrition separately.

Let's start with Giant Breed Puppy nutrition. When looking at the Guaranteed Analysis on puppy foods, I look for the following:

Protein: 22% - 24%
Calcium: 1.3% (Never less than 1.1% and never more than 1.5%)
Phosphorus: 0.9% - 1.0%
Fat: 12%

When looking at the Guaranteed Analysis on adult foods, I look for:

Protein: 24% - 27%
Calcium: 1.3% (Never less than 1.1% and never more than 1.5%)
Phosphorus: 0.9% - 1.0%
Fat: 15%

For this reason, I prefer the Precise brand of dog foods.

- Precise Holistic Complete Large & Giant Breed Puppy (up to 18mo. of age)

- Precise Holistic Complete Large & Giant Breed Adult (over 18mo. of age)

Other good options are:

Solid Gold Wolf King (I do not recommend Wolf Cub)
Nutri Source
PureVita
Innova
Orijen
Eagle Pack*
Wellness*
Merrick
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
Planet Organics
Wysong
Pinnacle

What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Are there any other foods that you would recommend and why?

* Both Eagle Pack and Wellness were purchased by Berwind Industries (2007 and 2008 respectively) and were merged into a single entity called WellPet, LLC. Although I still believe these are good food choices, there may be others that disagree for their own personal reasons.