new

Charley

My buddy

Barked: Tue Jan 10, '12 3:26pm PST 
Hello everyone. I am not only new t hear but I am also new to the breed. So far Charley has been nothing but a joy to have. Only thing that has been frustrating me is the biting to play. Those teeth hurt!!! Lol. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Bosley

Sleeping Bosley

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 5:19pm PST 
Hi! I'm quite new to Dogster in general, but I'm quite an experienced Lab owner. First off, welcome, not just to this group, but also to the great joys of owning a Labrador!
This whole biting when playing thing is definitely an issue. Yes, it's part of their nature to get a bit rough when playing, but just allowing them to do this is not good. You need to show the dog that biting while playing is NOT acceptable and simply will not be tolerated, as, if not corrected early, it can lead to bigger problems. This isn't to say that you can't play. All dogs need some playtime, just try simple things like stern discipline (nothing physical, that should never be allowed, just a stern, NO, or BAD DOG) when the biting occurs, and maybe put the toys away for a while. You should also evenly focus on more positive points as well rather than just telling the dog off. For example, give the dog a treat and some praise when they can successfully go a day or something of playtime without biting. Eventually the dog should get into his/her head that in order to be able to play with you he/she has to play fair. Playtime shouldn't be painful for either participant. puppy

Edited by author Fri Jan 13, '12 5:22pm PST

Charley

My buddy

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 9:30am PST 
Oh I totally agree. I'm just trying to get him through it and a number of other things lol. Yesterday he went pee on the bed when I had him up there and I took him out like 5 min before that. So potty training continues lol. But I enjoy him so much. He is my little buddy. I am getting ready to go through a divorce and he is probably going to be my rock through all this. Thank you for your advice.