Dayzee's Food For The Soul

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
♥- Dayzee- ♥

I got THE- power!! Jesus.

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 6:00am PST 
I have been blessed with the honor of posting my "Soul food" in this wonderful group.
Each day I will bring to the table, foods that will touch the soul.
Please stop in and have something to eat with me.
And let me know how you like my cooking.
God bless you.
wave

Edited by author Sun Apr 10, '11 6:19am PST

♥- Cyrus- ♥

Adopt or rescue,- PLEASE.

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 6:00am PST 
Scripture for a Tired Spirit
by Norman Vincent Peale

Does what you read in the newspaper depress you? Are you dragged down by the economy and worry?

By memorizing Scripture from the Bible and holding God's word in your mind, your spirit will become refreshed. Use the passages below to help you during trying times.

WHEN YOU ARE TIRED
He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might He increaseth strength. (Isaiah 40:29)

There is a difference between normal tiredness and that condition of deep fatigue where all your physical resources seem spent. First, believe that God is the source of all energy—in the sun, in plants and in people. Then try this renewal technique. Lie down and relax as best you can. As you repeat the above words from Isaiah, conceive of the Lord as sending through your body His strength and power until your spirit is renewed.

WHEN YOU FEEL UNLOVED
Above all, take the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Ephesians 6:16, 17)

Just as men wore armor In the old days to protect themselves from physical attack, you need spiritual armor today to guard yourself from the fiery darts of the hate and evil thoughts all about. The mind can be a battleground. See yourself as defending it with all your spiritual resources of faith and prayer.

WHEN YOU ARE GRIEVING
I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in Me, though be were dead, yet shall be live. (John 11:25)

The death of a loved one can bring on a crippling sense of defeat and depression. It often causes the mourner to feel that life will never again be filled with happy, buoyant attitudes. But in a sense you are not true to the departed one if you do not face life again with spirit. The above words have a glorious message-Jesus Christ is alive and those who believe in Him live forever.

WHEN YOU ARE HURT BY GOSSIP
He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. (Hebrews 13hi5-6)

If someone gossips about you, do not return evil for evil but pray for him. Do not harden your heart, but forgive him. As a means of building up your own inner defenses to slander, practice turning off your mind to the negative. Instead of thinking of what has been said about you, meditate on the positive way in which you can use conversation to God's glory.

WHEN YOU ARE ILL
The prayer of faith shall save the sick. . . . (James 5:15)

With all illness goes a certain amount of despondency which, in turn, can lead to lack of faith. The prayer of faith says, "I believe." Such a prayer will attune your mind to God and permit His healing forces to operate in you. Many sick people also find it helpful to focus their mind on Jesus when they pray, seeing Him going about Galilee healing every disease, believing that His restoring power is at work today.

WHEN YOU ARE UPSET
He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be My son. (Rev. 21:7)

Low-spirited people often get that way not from one big trouble but from many small irritations-the pinpricks of life. Lacking a strong grip on God. they give m to these daily harassments. The secret of the above passage is to concentrate on the idea that you are a child of God. As God's child you will receive His strength to handle your weakness. With God's power, instead of being overcome, you can overcome.

WHEN YOU HAVE NO PEACE
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:7)

There is a great hunger for peace today. One answer is to seek peace from God and not from man. When God's peace enters our hearts, fear and distrust and violence depart.
♥- Cyrus- ♥

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 6:27am PST 
One Sentence That Changed My Life
==================================

It is funny how an unexpected person can become your role model.
I had always been a spiritual person and had a very good life.
I had a wonderful compassionate husband and a beautiful daughter.
Life does have moments of sorrow and tragedy, though, a way of
making sure you realize and appreciate the times of joy and
peace.

After suffering one such tragedy I had I gone through a period
of, well let's call it, spiritual death. I turned to alcohol to
help numb the pain. I was lucky. I didn't lose everything most
alcoholics lose; family, possessions and career. I just lost
myself.

I checked myself into a treatment center. I was still in a
spiritual void and had lost all ability to pray. A man there
told me to put my shoes as far under my bed as I could every
night before I went to sleep. While I was already on my knees go
ahead and ask for nothing more than the ability to pray, and do
it again the next morning when I went to retrieve them. That
really did make a difference. He is a very important part of my
spiritual recovery and I will always be grateful.

But the one sentence that changed my life came from a woman who
volunteered once a week to bring in A.A. meetings. She had
suffered greatly as a child and on into adulthood. This woman
had gone through so much sorrow and pain it was difficult to
listen to her story. One night she slammed her hand down on the
table and exclaimed;

"Why do you settle for crumbs, don't you know you are children
of the King? Step up to the banquet table!"

Well, I guess that is two sentences, but it made such an impact
on me. I was settling for the crumbs in life, all I had to do
was take one step at a time and reach that table at which I was
intended to be. I was destined to be at a table laden with maybe
a little bitter wine but mostly sweet fruit and glorious rich
dishes of which I was served by the King himself.

I now do service work to bring the message to others who may
think they are undeserving of a good life. No matter what has
happened in your life, no matter what you have done, that table
is there waiting for you.

Don't settle for the crumbs of life.
Step up to it.
You are a child of the King!

by Michelle Kunefke

♥- Cyrus- ♥

Barked: Sat Mar 26, '11 7:59am PST 
“ No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. ”
I John 3:6 (NIV)

My son Ross was organizing a cabinet full of old videotapes, many from my first job as a TV news reporter. You can imagine the fun my children had looking at their twenty-something mother in 1980s clothes and hairstyle.

“You look so different, Mom,” Ross said.

Maria agreed. “You don’t even sound like you,” she said.

Well, it was a long time ago. But as I explained to them, I was fresh out of school, so I often copied successful reporters as I learned how to do the job. It made me think, Who have I been copying lately?

Our culture is loaded with so-called role models in sports, politics and entertainment. And it’s easy to get caught up in wanting to copy the beautiful people in magazines, with their flawless faces and fabulous clothes. But the verse from I John popped out at me: To really know Jesus is to want to copy Him in real, practical ways. The way He took Himself away from the noise and crowds to spend time with God; the way He included the excluded; the way He challenged the accepted rules when He knew they were wrong, such as healing on the Sabbath or talking to the Samaritan woman.

Once I began looking for them, I discovered “role-model moments" throughout the Gospels. Now, instead of thinking, Jesus was perfect and I could never be like Him, I can see the “how to” that’s contained in His story.

Lord, help me to recognize the ways I can become more Christlike every day.

By Gina Bridgeman
♥- Cyrus- ♥

Barked: Sun Mar 27, '11 7:57am PST 
“ Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget none of His benef its. ”
Psalm 103:2 (NAS)

When it came time one Sunday for “sermons from the floor,” Lena indicated that she wanted to speak into the roving microphone, and I could tell by her twinkling brown eyes that she had something special to say.

Over a year ago Lena had been diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer, and for several months we missed her in church as she underwent a series of chemotherapy treatments. But now she was back with a clean bill of health, and as she began to speak, I rejoiced with her as she quoted from Psalm 103:2–4: “‘Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases . . . who crowneth thee with lovingkindness . . . ’ and a wig!"

Chuckles rippled throughout the congregation. Then Lena went on to describe the awful humiliation of losing her hair due to chemotherapy and how the provision of a suitable hairpiece had restored some of that confidence so severely drained by cancer.

When I cut my hair twenty years ago and donated it for people with the disease, I never thought about God using my gift to “crown” someone else with loving-kindness. Thanks to Lena, I have a new appreciation for the way God takes the little things we give or do and uses them to bless others.

Thank You, Lord, for multiplying the efforts we make on Your behalf.

By Alma Barkman
♥- Cyrus- ♥

Barked: Mon Mar 28, '11 7:53am PST 
“ “Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired. . . . ” ”
Matthew 6:1 (TLB)

Flapping Wings

My Aunt Annie’s box contained some short pieces she’d clipped from other authors’ writings. My favorite is this one (author unknown):

There is a deacon in our church who is oh so pious! At every opportunity he speaks of his perfect attendance at services, his gifts to the building fund, his compassionate service to other members. Finally, the quietest woman in our congregation said, “I don’t mind having angels in our midst, but I do hate to hear them flap their wings"

I pinned the clipping on my bulletin board, thinking maybe I’d share it with a couple of “angels” I knew. But before I got the chance, I heard flapping noises coming from deep inside my heart! While it was true that I rarely tooted my own horn, there were many occasions when I’d acted, spoken or given more from a desire to be recognized by others than to please God: Once I joined a church committee just because it was prestigious; I washed all the dishes after a dinner meeting to be sure everyone knew I always did my share of the work; I even gave to a charity to have my name on the donor list.

All of these actions were good ones. Committees need involved members, dishes must be washed, and charities can’t do good works without money. Many times I should gladly do a task simply because it has to be done. After all, is dishwashing really anyone’s particular calling? At the same time? it’s crucial that I be honest with myself about my motives. Serving Christ to get recognition from others is really nothing more than silent bragging.

Forgive me, Father, when I “flap my wings” instead of serving because I want to please You.

By Penney Schwab
♥- Cyrus- ♥

Barked: Tue Mar 29, '11 7:46am PST 
If God be for us, who can be against us?
Romans 8:31

Imagine yourself as actually looking at all your difficulties like an army lined up against you. Then realize you have a backing that can overcome them all.
As you face these enemies of yours—
discouragement,
frustration,
disappointment,
hostility,
weakness—
ask yourself, “What shall I say to these things?” And the answer is, “If God be for us, who can be against us?”
Now, spend a minute realizing that God is for me, God is for you and say this affirmation:
“God is with me. God is for me. God is greater than all these things.” Then visualize these enemies of your peace and happiness as retreating, giving way before God’s power. Personalize the text by saying:
“If God be for me, who can be against me?” The repetitive use of this text will give you an enormous sense of God’s presence and a powerful feeling of victory.
♥- Cyrus- ♥

Barked: Wed Mar 30, '11 9:25am PST 
Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. ”
-PSALM 90:1?2 (NIV)

“Oh, Mom, I wish you could see the mountains. They’re all around us!”

I was visiting my daughter Laura in Mukilteo, Washington, a little harbor town on Puget Sound. A thick fog shrouded the towering mountains she kept trying to describe. “Over there is Mt. Rainier and there’s Mt. Olympia and down there are the Cascades,” she said, pointing into what appeared as damp, gray nothingness.

The fog persisted. On the final morning of my visit, I was in my motel room, packing to go home, when Laura raced in, her face lit with excitement. “Mom, come outside!” We hurried through the revolving doors into a world transformed by brilliant sunshine. I caught my breath. There, in all their glory, stood the mountains. Towering and rugged, their snow-capped peaks dazzled the blue sky.

Such an awesome presence and it’s been here all along, hidden from sight, I thought, like the powerful, protecting, presence of God. He’s all around us, more real than the mountains. But the fog of despair, the shroud of grief can make it seem as if He’s gone. Yet, if I patiently tune my ear and believe His Word, I’ll hear His voice through the fog saying, “I am with you always.” (Matthew 28:20, NIV)

Lord God, You Who are the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, help me to stay with You in the here and now.

Shari Smyth
♥- Cyrus- ♥

Barked: Fri Apr 1, '11 7:13am PST 
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, And his ears are open to their prayers; but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil. I Peter 3:12

A Time to Think
God shapes the world by prayer. The more prayer there is in the world the better the world will be, the mightier the forces of against evil.— E.M. Bounds

To Act
Build a dream and the dream will build you.

To Pray
Thank You, Father, for giving me everything I need to be content.
♥- Cyrus- ♥

Barked: Fri Apr 1, '11 10:48pm PST 
The 100 Dollar Bill
====================

A well known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a
$100 bill in a room of 200 people, and asked,

"Who would like this $100 bill?"

Hands started going up.

He said, "I am going to give this $100 bill to one of you,
but first let me do this...."

He proceeded to crumple the $100 up.

He then asked, "Who still wants it?"

Still the hands were up in the air.

"Well".....he replied,

"What if I do this?".....and he dropped it on the ground and
started to grind it into the floor with his shoe.

He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty.
"Now who still wants it?" he asked. Hands still shot up!

"My friends, you have all learned a very valuable lesson.
No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it...because
it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $100."

Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground
into the dirt, by the decisions we make, and the circumstances
that come our way.

We feel as though we are worthless. But no matter what has
happened or what will happen, you never lose your value!

Dirty....clean.....crumpled....or finely creased.....
you are still priceless to those who love you.

The worth of our lives comes not in what we do or who we know,
but by WHO WE ARE.

You are special....don't ever forget it.
Count your blessings..................NOT your problems.

~Author Unknown~
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4