"Dayzee's Food for the Soul"

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
♥- Dayzee- ♥

I got THE- power!! Jesus.

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 11:23am PST 
I hope you all enjoy my postings and that they touch and feed your soul.
wave hug
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 11:23am PST 
Now your attitudes and thoughts must all be constantly changing for the better. ”
-EPHESIANS 4:23 (TLB)

I have a notorious sweet tooth. Not only do I enjoy sampling desserts, I enjoy baking them and experimenting with recipes. So it’s no small sacrifice for me to give up sweets for Lent.

Recently I had lunch with a friend, and when it came time to order dessert, she asked me what looked good.

“Everything,” I told her and then explained that because it was Lent I was abstaining. “Giving up something goes way back to my childhood. Don’t you give up something?”

“I used to,” she explained, “but I’ve had a change of heart.”

That intrigued me. “How do you mean?”

“Well,” she said, “I decided that instead of giving up something, I would do something.”

This was sounding better by the moment. “Give me an example,” I said.

“I send a shut-in a card or make an overdue phone call to a friend or relative.”

“That’s great.”

“At first it seems like a task, but I come away feeling better about life. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to give up something for Lent, but I’ve discovered that the things I do become habits and that makes a positive change in my life.”

I’m looking to make positive changes in my life too. I’ll continue to abstain from desserts during Lent because it’s good for me and I appreciate them more at Easter, but from now on, I’m going to do something too.

Lord, open my eyes to the needs of others and show me how I can make a difference during Lent and all year round.

By Debbie Macomber
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 5:25am PST 
“ Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself . . . . ”
Mark 12:31

I knew from the sound of his voice over the phone that our grandson had bad news. The manager of the electronics store had fired him, he said, for telling a customer that for her needs, the cheap cell phone was as good as the expensive one she was looking at.

“This reminds me a lot,” I told him, “of a job your grandfather lost sixty years ago. Like you, we were badly in need of money, so he went to work selling health insurance."

Often I’d go with John on his evening round of calls. Armed with addresses and a map of Louisville, Kentucky, we’d locate a street number in some ramshackle part of town and knock on a door with a torn screen.

The “prospects” who’d answered the company’s ad were mostly poor and visibly impressed by the elaborately embossed insurance form John would pull from a briefcase. While I tried to coax a smile from wide-eyed children, John would go through the presentation learned in a week long training course, concluding with the “sales-clinching maneuver” on uncapping his fountain pen.

But John also had discovered that for certain family situations, another company offered better coverage. Instead of handing the prospect the pen, he would lay out this other option. After six months, with exactly two sales to his record, John was fired.

“Both you and your grandfather,” I told a very discouraged young man, “put the interests of others before your own. You can lose a job that way, but you’ll keep the integrity that will fit you for the work God has waiting for you somewhere.”

Help me to think of my neighbor first, Father, in all I do today.

By Elizabeth Sherrill

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 9:03am PST 
“ Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses. ”
Proverbs 10:12 (NRSV)
My husband Charlie and I spend part of the year in Sausalito, California. The residents cultivate elaborate gardens where flowers bloom year-round, the bay sparkles, the sidewalks are immaculate, green parks abound, and residents and tourists alike act as if no one else exists.

“What am I, invisible?” I groused one day under my breath, maneuvering around yet another knot of people blocking the sidewalk. Moments before, I’d been all but shoved into the road by a young couple peering up at a mansion on the hillside. And the day before, I’d gingerly avoided two menacing dogs who’d taken over the path while their owners sipped, lattes and compared purchases from a nearby gourmet shop.

I set my mouth in a thin line, gritted my teeth and moved on, staring straight ahead. If I could get through the next intersection, I’d reach the quiet, lovely part of the walk. Suddenly a child started shrieking that her father had bought her the wrong flavor ice cream. I bared my teeth, smiling grimly at this further display of selfishness.

A woman, drinking coffee on a bench, caught my eye and smiled back. It was a pleasant, gentle smile, and it knocked the boulder-sized chip right off my shoulder. She’d smiled simply because she’d seen me smile, and it made me wonder what would happen if I put aside my outrage and acted like who I was: someone out for a walk in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Tentatively, I began smiling at everyone I met. Lo and behold, most, smiled back, some even spoke, and all but one person responded.

And that one person? Well, I’m sorry to say that he reminded me of myself . . . an hour earlier.

Father, help me to remember that I reap what I sow.

By Marci Alborghetti
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 8:19am PST 
“ But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. . . For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. ”
Matthew 6:20-21

There’s a church out West that I occasionally visit on my travels. When I first visited a few years ago, the congregation was meeting in a simple, linoleum-floored building filled with young families and folding chairs. Today, the congregation has a soaring, almost cathedral like space. It has well-cushioned pews, plush carpeting and a sophisticated audiovisual system befitting an aspiring megachurch. It also has a huge debt.

On my last visit, the pastor’s face was somber. “We’re facing a million dollar balloon payment on our church’s loan,” he told his congregation toward the end of the service. “But God is going to give us a field goal with ten seconds to play. I know He is."

The Lord promises to provide. But the pastor’s half-joking exhortation to his flock—“If anyone has an extra million lying around, now would be an opportune time to give”—made me ponder what exactly God promises. To us, as well as to the church, He promises what we need, not what we want. And when Paul writes in his letter to the Ephesians about a strong church, he refers to love and patience, not sumptuous sanctuaries.

Did that church stretch beyond its means? I don’t know. But in that pastor’s words I heard a warning to be wise about our finances. Jesus’ call for His followers to store up treasure in heaven, not on earth, applies to us collectively as well as individually.

Lord, when I’ve fixed my mind on earthly treasures, help me to lift up my eyes and look to You.

By Jeff Chu
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 8:04am PST 
Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.
1 Thessalonians 5:15

A Time to Think
Go out into the world today and love the people you meet. Let your presence light new light in the hearts of people.�Mother Teresa

To Act
Use the difficulties in your life to increase your ability to love.

To Pray
Dear Lord, when I place my hope in You, my life is filled in faith and hope.
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 7:29am PST 
RECALL NOTICE:

The Maker of all human beings (GOD) is recalling all units manufactured, regardless of make or year, due to a serious defect in the primary and central component of the heart.
This is due to a malfunction in the original prototype units code named Adam and Eve, resulting in the reproduction of the same defect in all subsequent units. This defect has been technically termed "Sub-sequential Internal Non-Morality," or more commonly known as S.I.N., as it is primarily expressed.

Some of the symptoms include:
1. Loss of direction
2. Foul vocal emissions
3. Amnesia of origin
4. Lack of peace and joy
5. Selfish or violent behavior
6. Depression or confusion in the mental component
7. Fearfulness
8. Idolatry
9. Rebellion
The Manufacturer, who is neither liable nor at fault for this defect, is providing factory-authorized repair and service free of charge to correct this defect.
The Repair Technician, JESUS, has most generously offered to bear the entire burden of the staggering cost of these repairs. There is no additional fee required.
The number to call for repair in all areas is: P-R-A-Y-E-R.
Once connected, please upload your burden of SIN through the REPENTANCE procedure. Next, download ATONEMENT from the Repair Technician, Jesus, into the heart component.

No matter how big or small the SIN defect is, Jesus will replace it with:
1. Love
2. Joy
3. Peace
4. Patience
5. Kindness
6. Goodness
7. Faithfulness
8. Gentleness
9. Self control

Please see the operating manual, the B.I.B.L.E. (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth) for further details on the use of these fixes.
WARNING: Continuing to operate the human being unit without correction voids any manufacturer warranties, exposing the unit to dangers and problems too numerous to list and will result in the human unit being permanently impounded. For free emergency service, call on Jesus.

DANGER: The human being units not responding to this recall action will have to be scrapped in the furnace. The SIN defect will not be permitted to enter Heaven so as to prevent contamination of that facility. Thank you for your attention!

- GOD

P.S. Please assist where possible by notifying others of this important recall notice, and you may contact the Father any time by 'Knee mail'!

Because He Lives
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Thu Mar 17, '11 2:41pm PST 
It's Not...
============

It's not what we eat but what we digest that makes us strong;
not what we gain but what we save that makes us rich;
not what we read but what we remember that makes us learned;
and not what we profess but what we practice that gives us integrity.”
~Francis Bacon Sr.~
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 6:32am PST 
Praise be to…the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

A Time to Think
The value of persistent prayer is not that he will hear us . . . but that we will finally hear him. —William McGill

To Act
Be patient, have faith and work towards what you desire.

To Pray
I will use this day as You would have me use it, Lord, and I will be glad in it.
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 6:07am PST 
Learning to Run
================

The two-year old likes to run.

It warms my heart when I see his funny movements as he runs.
It also scares me because young children have a tendency to fall
very easily.

I was out shopping with my sons when the two-year old started to
run.

He fell.

If you are a parent, you completely understand the phrase,
"it hurts me more than it does you." There is something that
pains worse than physical torment to see your little one hurt.
He skinned his knee and elbow. He cried for a few minutes and
finally with the soothing of Daddy, quieted down.

We are like my two-year old.

There are so many areas of life where we must run:
some by choice, some by the force of circumstances.
There are so many new things.
There are so many times when our steps are unsure and we are not
experienced runners.

The older I get, the more I understand how a Divine Father can
let us go through some things and fall. I was tempted to stop
my son when I saw him run. I knew that sooner or later, if not
that day then one day, he would fall.

I also knew that if he was to ever learn how to run, he must
fall, and often I had to watch him do it.

I fell in business several times before I was able to run.

I fell in relationships several times before I had sense enough
to stop looking for perfection and know that we all have faults.

Even your second child is reared differently from the first
because you learn some things from falling with that first one.

I fell off of my bicycle.
I fell off of my motorcycle.
I fell on skates (roller and ice).
I even choked a few times while learning to swim.

We often fall when learning to run the things of life.

Too often bruises stop us from ever trying to run again.
We are afraid that we will slip and get hurt.
We are afraid of the pain.

My son runs much better now. I still wince when I see him run
on a hard surface but he won't stop running.

At only two, he has one of the keys of life.

He won't stop running just because he fell.

Your bruises will heal, you will get up,
and the path will still be there.

Though at times you may not think it so,
The Divine Father is still watching over you.

He just knows that he has to let you fall,
If you are ever to learn to run.

~A MountainWings Original~
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3