Mass Cell Tumor

Lily Plata

Watch your toes!

Barked: Sat Apr 10, '10 4:55pm PST 
For those of you that know me, I first came to Dogster looking for support and information when my Boxer Roxy was diagnosed with Lymphoma in 2007 at the age of 10 months. It was quite an emotional roller coaster and she sadly passed away January 5th 2008. There has not been a day that goes by that I don't think and/or cry for her. I would have done anything in my power to keep her with us, regardless of cost. I always said, as long as she had the will we would continue the fight for her.
After she passed it was so hard to look at other Boxers without bursting into tears and thinking of all the wonderful memories we had created in our short time together. After about 6 months of her passing my heart had healed just enough to open it up to another bouncy baby Boxer. We had enjoyed every minute with Roxy but those minutes didn't last long enough and we wanted to continue on with what we felt was our "heart" breed.
In September of 08 we welcomed Cali Lily's White Lightning to our family and she has been a bundle of energy ever since! We ofter call her Tiger Lily based off her destructive nature, it's like living with a Tiger!
A few months back I noticed a small bump on her rear leg near her "ankle". Over the past 2 months or so it has gotten a tad bit bigger but it never hurt her and she never paid much attention to it. Earlier today she had a vet appointment and I had the doctor take a look at it. She aspirated (sp?) it and about 10 minutes later came back and said that it was def a mass cell tumor. Since first welcoming Roxy into the family I have learned that these are fairly common in Boxers and assumed surgery would shortly follow. For some reason I never made the connection that these too are cancer...when the doctor said this my heart sank. All I could think of Roxy and the trips back and forth to the doctor for chemo and radiation.
The doctor sasid that because of the location of the tumor recovery time will be a bit longer because there won;t be enough skin to pull and completly close it...so it will take some time to heal on it's own. She said since the tumor didn't show up over night and grow out of hand, the worry of it spreading lessens slightly. Once the surgery is done (the hope they can get good margins all the way around to completely remove it) they will test it to see if it is a level 1, 2 or3. She thinks by the looks of it, it will be a low level 2.
I would like to hear feedback and experiences of those who have experienced these. I am trying not to completely lose it after hearing this news and hhope that I am strong enough emotionally to go thru whatever journey is ahead of us.
Please keep Lily in your thoughts and prayers and I hope her big sister is looking down on her and watching out for her...
Harley

Mr. Harley- Davidson

Barked: Tue Oct 5, '10 9:11pm PST 
Oh wow. I know this post has not had activity in a while but I just joined the group and it is the first one I read. My beautiful boxer Harley was diagnosed with cancer 2 weeks ago. They found a tumor in his small intestines and after testing, confirmed it was cancerous. He had surgery yesterday. The tumor was 10 cm in diameter. They sent samples of lymphnodes to the lab to see if it has spread. My heart goes out to you and anyone who has been through this. I do not have children - Harley is my child. I have never in my life felt this helpless and terrible. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I feel like he knows me better than myself. I started a fundraising page to help with the vet bills and it seems to be going ok so far. I hope that your pups tumors were healed and that you have been enjoying his company since your post.