Dayzee's Food For The Soul

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
♥- Dayzee- ♥

I got THE- power!! Jesus.

Barked: Mon Mar 29, '10 7:00am PST 
I will try to bring you food for your soul every day.
Please feel free to respond to what I post and add to it.big grin
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Mon Mar 29, '10 7:02am PST 
And they say Christianity is a religion of women and children and weaklings.

Matthew
Suffered martyrdom in
Ethiopia killed by a sword

Mark
Died in Alexandria, Egypt, after being dragged by horses through the streets until he was dead
. 3

Luke
Was hanged in Greece as a result of his tremendous preaching to the lost. 4

John
Faced martyrdom when he was boiled in huge basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution in Rome . However, he was miraculously delivered from death. John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison island of Patmos . He wrote his prophetic Book of Revelation on Patmos. The apostle John was later freed and returned to serve as Bishop of Edessa in modern Turkey . He died as an old man, the only apostle to die peacefully.

Peter
He was crucified upside down on an x-shaped cross. According to church tradition it was because he told his tormentors that he
felt unworthy to die in the same way that Jesus Christ had died. Tradition also teaches that Peter's wife was crucified next to him. Peter reportedly called out to her, 'Remember the Christ'
James
Just The leader of the church in Jerusalem , was thrown over a hundred feet down from the southeast pinnacle
of the Temple when he refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they discovered that he survived the fall, his enemies beat James to death with a fuller's club. This was the same pinnacle where Satan had taken Jesus during the Temptation
James the Great
Son of Zebedee, was a fisherman by trade when Jesus called him to a lifetime of ministry. As a strong leader
of the church, James was ultimately beheaded at Jerusalem . The Roman officer who guarded James watched amazed
as James defended his faith at his trial. Later, the officer walked beside James to the place of execution. Overcome
by conviction, he declared his new faith to the judge and knelt beside James to accept beheading as a Christian

Bartholomew
Also known as Nathaniel sas a missionary to Asia . He witnessed for our Lord in present day Turkey .
Bartholomew was martyred for his preaching in Armenia where he was flayed to death by a whip.

Andrew
Was crucified on an x-shaped cross in Patras , Greece . After being whipped severely by seven soldiers they tied
his body to the cross with cords to prolong his agony. His followers reported that, when he was led toward the cross, Andrew
saluted it in these words: 'I have long desired and expected this happy hour. The cross has been consecrated by the body of Christ
hanging on it.' He continued to preach to his tormentors for two days until he expired.

Thomas
Was stabbed with a spear in India during one of his missionary trips to establish the church in the sub-continent

Jude
Was killed with arrows when he refused to deny his faith in Christ.

Matthias
The apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas Iscariot, was stoned and then beheaded.

Paul
Was tortured and then beheaded by the evil Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67. Paul endured a lengthy imprisonment which allowed him to write his many epistles to the churches he had formed throughout the Roman Empire . These letters, which taught many of the foundational doctrines of Christianity, form a large portion of the New Testament.

Perhaps this is a reminder to us that our sufferings here
are indeed minor compared
to the intense persecution and cold cruelty faced by the apostles
during their times for the sake of the Faith. And ye shall be hated
of all men for my name's sake.
More Christians are being persecuted NOW than at any other time in history. Pray for the persecuted church at large.

But he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
Matthew 10:22
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Tue Mar 30, '10 3:40am PST 
The Cleansing
A Lenten devotional for Monday of Holy Week
By Elizabeth Sherrill

And Jesus…drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons.—Matthew 21:12

It was an unheard-of scandal! This young rabbi who yesterday had the whole city in a patriotic uproar, today stormed into the very temple precinct itself and created chaos. Doves flapping, men shouting, women scrabbling after the rolling coins. This fellow from Galilee, once again stirring up trouble!

But stirring-up is always what happens when Jesus enters the scene. Monday of Holy Week has its parallel in our individual journey of faith. He comes, and priorities are overturned, assumptions swept aside. The first thing He did on entering Jerusalem is the first thing He does on entering a life: He goes straight to the temple, to the place where we worship, and cleans out whatever is not part of God’s design.

The process is called by many names: sanctification, amendment of life, getting right with God, but the meaning is the same. The recognition that with Jesus in charge, many things we used to do, say, want, are no longer okay. It’s such a common pattern that we’ve come to expect it.

And then there’s the danger in the Monday experience. We think we know what things He wants to get rid of. When my mother was growing up, the list included wearing makeup, reading novels and riding a bicycle on Sunday. Each group, each era, has its own expectations.

But the hallmark of that Monday in Jerusalem was surprise. Jesus knew what stood between people in those days and God. “Astonished” is how Mark describes people’s reactions to that original cleansing, and astonished is how we feel when God’s housecleaning, not the one we envisaged, gets underway within us. Prejudice. Old hurts. A sense of inferiority. Whatever blocks our relationships with Him, out it must go.

“What are You doing!” we cry when the Cleanser strides in.

“I’m making Myself a temple,” He replies.

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Tue Mar 30, '10 4:05am PST 
March 30, 2010
And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God”. . . .
Mark 12:34 (RSV)

Tuesday of Holy Week: The Seeking Pharisee

Today a group of Pharisees come to Jesus with a series of trick questions, and Jesus amazes them with His answers. But one question seems to come from the heart of a seeker. Seeing how wise Jesus is, a Pharisee asks Him, “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” (Matthew 22:36, NIV).

Jesus answers, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. . . . Love your neighbor as yourself ” (Matthew 22:37, 39, NIV).

We will never know for sure, but I believe this man was among those who Acts 6:7 tells us “believed and obeyed” Jesus’ teaching after the Resurrection.

When traveling in India recently, I met a man from a remote region closed to influence from the outside world. He had been a passionate follower of Jesus since his teens. I asked him how that could have happened.

“My father was a fisherman,” he told me, “and often we would go out on the water and come back with empty nets. Then he would tell me, ‘We will look elsewhere. The fish are there. We just need to find them.’When I told my father I wanted to find God, instead of telling me what tradition to follow, he gave me the same instruction: ‘Keep seeking.’ One day an older friend who had gone to the city gave me a copy of the Gospel of John, and when I read Jesus’ statement, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life’ [John 14:6], I had the answer I needed. I have been following Him ever since.”

Lord, let me find You in the confusion of my life today.

By Eric Fellman
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Wed Mar 31, '10 4:14am PST 
March 31, 2010
And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”
Mark 12:43-44 (RSV)

Wednesday of Holy Week: The Giving Widow

In the middle of one of the grandest, most expensive structures of the day, surrounded by wealthy people who move by without seeing her, an unnamed woman expresses her devotion to God in the most practical way: She gives all she has to honor Him. Her gift is for the support of the temple, and it’s likely her few pennies won’t even pay for a worker to polish one of the temple’s sets of gold candlesticks. But that doesn’t matter; she is giving to God.

A friend of mine named George worked for many years to build up a large real estate practice with many branch offices. One day a group of investors came to him with a proposal to buy his business. They offered an incredible amount of money, and George accepted it. On the day he received the funds, he rushed to his bank to open a new checking account. He wanted the name on the account to be “God’s Account,” and the banker balked at the idea. “Who’ll sign the checks?” he asked. “Oh,” George replied, “it’s all God’s money, but He’s let me be the custodian, so I’ll write the checks on His behalf to whomever He tells me.”

George, now in his eighties, is one of the happiest people I know, despite a bout with cancer. His joy doesn’t come from earthly things, but from the commitment he made long ago to dedicate his life and his possessions to the Lord.

Lord, let me give to You out of my substance—be it much or little—with an eye for the needs all around me.

By Eric Fellman
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Thu Apr 1, '10 6:22am PST 
April 01, 2010
“If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.”
John 3:14 (NAS)

Maundy Thursday: Jesus the Servant

The night of Jesus’ arrest and trial looms large in the Gospel record. It begins with the Last Supper, goes through His agony and arrest in the Garden of Gethsemane, to the religious court, and then to the civil courts and sentence of death. The event that moves me most, however, is when, right after the Last Supper, with an argument among the disciples about who would be greatest still ringing in the air, Jesus takes off His outer garment, assumes a servant’s role and washes their feet. Then He gently rebukes them, telling them that they should do for one another what He has done for them.

Shortly after the end of the first Gulf War, Gen. Colin Powell was at a large gathering where he was to be honored for teaching his troops the values that had produced a successful military campaign. Also on the program was Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, then in his nineties, with whom I was traveling. With his keen eye for detail, General Powell noticed that one of Dr. Peale’s shoes had become untied. Without a word, he stepped forward, knelt down and tied the errant lace. Dr. Peale was flustered for a moment, but General Powell eased his embarrassment with a joke. One of the general’s aides leaned over to me and whispered, “Now you know why he wins battles. We’d all go through the fire for a man like that.”

Lord, help me to follow Your example and serve someone today.

By Eric Fellman
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 6:26am PST 
April 02, 2010
When Jesus then saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold, your son!”
John 19:26 (NAS)

Good Friday: Mary the Mother of Jesus

We can hardly imagine what Mary is thinking and feeling today when her son—naked, beaten, bleeding and crowned with thorns—looks down from the Cross and tells His best friend to take care of her. Perhaps Jesus knows that after His Resurrection He will return to His Father, and He wants these two to have each other’s comfort and support.

A US Army officer friend of mine was stationed for a while in Pakistan. While he was there, he met a believer in Jesus, who risked his life daily to share the good news. They became friends, and one day the officer solemnly promised to care for his friend’s family should anything happen to him.

Not long after, there was a wedding at which the Pakistani’s grandfather presided. During the ceremony the elders of each family signed the marriage contract. My friend was stunned to be asked to be one of the signers. Later he discovered that by Pakistani tradition, his promise to care for his friend’s family had given him the status of an elder brother.

Through the blood Jesus sheds today on the Cross, He makes us all children of God, brothers and sisters in the family of faith, responsible for each other.

Lord Jesus, even on this day of suffering You give me an example of how I should love and care for my brothers and sisters.

By Eric Fellman
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 4:21pm PST 
Nicodemus also, who had at first come to [Jesus] by night, came bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds’ weight.
John 19:39 (RSV)

Holy Saturday: Nicodemus

On the evening of the day Jesus died, just before sundown turns Friday into the Sabbath, two members of the Sanhedrin come boldly before Pilate and ask for Jesus’ body. One of them is Nicodemus, the thoughtful scholar who came to Jesus secretly and asked about His teachings. Later, Nicodemus spoke up in defense of Jesus but backed down before the determination of his fellow Pharisees.

But now, after he has witnessed the Crucifixion, Nicodemus comes forward, not questioning but worshipping, intending to give Jesus the honor and respect he has previously withheld. This is a newborn Nicodemus, not perfectly understanding, but completely committed.

Not long ago I met a modern-day Nicodemus, a high official in the Indian Bureau of Investigation who came to talk to me about helping to make the Scriptures available in a region of India where Bibles are often burned. When I asked him why he had come, he handed me a DVD and motioned for me to play it on my computer.

The images were shocking: mobs of angry people beating others and burning Bibles in the street and even in some nearby houses. Pointing to one badly bleeding man on the screen, my guest said, “Later that day he died, not cursing, but praying for the forgiveness of his tormentors. If that is what the Bible teaches, we need it.”

Lord, let Your new life be born in me today so that Your light can shine through me and illuminate the path for others.

By Eric Fellman
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sat Apr 3, '10 7:33pm PST 
The Blessing Of Thorns
=======================

Sandra felt as low as the heels of her shoes as she pushed
against a November gust and the florist shop door. Her life had
been easy, like a spring breeze. Then in the fourth month of
her second pregnancy, a minor automobile accident stole her
ease.

During this Thanksgiving week she would have delivered a son.
She grieved over her loss. As if that weren't enough, her
husband's company threatened a transfer. Then her sister, whose
annual holiday visit she coveted, called saying she could not
come.

What's worse, Sandra's friend infuriated her by suggesting her
grief was a God-given path to maturity that would allow her to
empathize with others who suffer. "She has no idea what I'm
feeling," thought Sandra with a shudder.

"Thanksgiving? Thankful for what?" she wondered aloud. For a
careless driver whose truck was hardly scratched when he rear-
ended her? For an airbag that saved her life but took that of
her child?

"Good afternoon, can I help you?"

The shop clerk's approach startled her.

"I....I need an arrangement, "stammered Sandra. "For
Thanksgiving?

Do you want beautiful but ordinary, or would you like to
challenge the day with a customer favorite I call the
Thanksgiving Special?" asked the shop clerk.

"I'm convinced that flowers tell stories," she continued.

"Are you looking for something that conveys 'gratitude' this
Thanksgiving?

"Not exactly!" Sandra blurted out. "In the last five months,
everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. " Sandra
regretted her outburst, and was surprised when the shop clerk
said, "I have the perfect arrangement for you."

Then the door's small bell rang, and the shop clerk said, "Hi
Barbara...let me get your order." She politely excused herself
and walked toward a small workroom, then quickly reappeared,
carrying an arrangement of greenery, bows, and long-stemmed
thorny roses.

Except the ends of the rose stems were neatly snipped...there
were no flowers.

"Want this in a box?" asked the clerk.

Sandra watched for the customer's response. Was this a joke?
Who would want rose stems with no flowers!?! She waited for
laughter, but neither woman laughed. "Yes, please," Barbara
replied with an appreciative smile.

"You'd think after three years of getting the special, I
wouldn't be so moved by its significance, but I can feel it
right here, all over again," she said as she gently tapped her
chest.

"Uhh," stammered Sandra, "that lady just left with, uhh... she
just left with no flowers!"

"Right...I cut off the flowers. That's the Special... I call
it the Thanksgiving Thorns Bouquet.

"Oh, come on, you can't tell me someone is willing to pay for
that?" exclaimed Sandra.

"Barbara came into the shop three years ago feeling very much
like you feel today," explained the clerk. "She thought she had
very little to be thankful for. She had lost her father to
cancer, the family business was failing, her son was into drugs,
and she was facing major surgery."

"That same year I had lost my husband, "continued the clerk,"
and for the first time in my life, I had to spend the holidays
alone. I had no children, no husband, no family nearby, and too
great a debt to allow any travel.

"So what did you do?" asked Sandra. "I learned to be thankful
for thorns," answered the clerk quietly. "I've always thanked
God for good things in life and never thought to ask Him why
those good things happened to me, but when bad stuff hit, did I
ever ask! It took time for me to learn that dark times are
important.

I always enjoyed the 'flowers' of life, but it took
thorns to show me the beauty of God's comfort. You know, the
Bible says that God comforts us when we're afflicted, and from
His consolation we learn to comfort others.

"Sandra sucked in her breath as she thought about the very thing
her friend had tried to tell her. "I guess the truth is I don't
want comfort.

I've lost a baby and I'm angry with God."

Just then someone else walked in the shop.

"Hey, Phil!" shouted the clerk to the balding, rotund man.

"My wife sent me in to get our usual Thanksgiving arrangement
....twelve thorny, long-stemmed stems!" laughed Phil as the
clerk handed him a tissue-wrapped arrangement from the
refrigerator.

"Those are for your wife?" asked Sandra incredulously. "Do you
mind me asking why she wants something that looks like that?

"No...I'm glad you asked," Phil replied. "Four years ago my
wife and I nearly divorced. After forty years, we were in a
real mess, but with the Lord's grace and guidance, we slogged
through problem after problem.

He rescued our marriage. Jenny here (the clerk) told me she
kept a vase of rose stems to remind her of what she learned from
"thorny" times, and that was good enough for me. I took home
some of those stems. My wife and I decided to label each one
for a specific "problem" and give thanks to Him for what that
problem taught us."

As Phil paid the clerk, he said to Sandra, "I highly recommend
the Special!"

"I don't know if I can be thankful for the thorns in my life."
Sandra said to the clerk. "It's all too... fresh."

"Well," the clerk replied carefully, "my experience has shown me
that thorns make roses more precious. We treasure God's
providential care more during trouble than at any other time.

Remember, it was a crown of thorns that Jesus wore so we might
know His love. Don't resent the thorns."

Tears rolled down Sandra's cheeks. For the first time since the
accident, she loosened her grip on resentment. "I'll take those
twelve long-stemmed thorns, please," she managed to choke out.

"I hoped you would," said the clerk gently. "I'll have them
ready in a minute."

"Thank you. What do I owe you?" asked Sandra.

"Nothing." said the clerk.

"Nothing but a promise to allow God to heal your heart. The
first year's arrangement is always on me. "The clerk smiled and
handed a card to Sandra.

"I'll attach this card to your arrangement, but maybe you'd like
to read it first."

It read:

"Dear God, I have never thanked you for my thorns. I have
thanked you a thousand times for my roses, but never once for my
thorns. Teach me the glory of the cross I bear; teach me the
value of my thorns. Show me that I have climbed closer to you
along the path of pain.

Show me that, through my tears, the colors of your rainbow look
much more brilliant."

~Author Unknown~
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sun Apr 4, '10 5:53am PST 
She said to Him, “Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away.” Jesus said to her, “Mary!” . .
John 20: 15-16 (NAS)

Easter: Mary Magdalene

According to John’s account, Mary Magdalene comes to Jesus’ tomb early on Sunday morning and finds the stone that had covered its entrance rolled aside. She runs to tell the disciples that the body has been taken away.

Peter and John examine the empty tomb and go away to digest what has happened, but Mary lingers, weeping. She loves Jesus so much, her heart is so broken, that even when she goes into the tomb and sees the angels, she can only imagine that someone has stolen the body.

When Jesus appears before her, she mistakes Him for the gardener. Then He speaks one word—“Mary”—and she knows.

Not long ago I attended a choral performance by a group of Ugandan orphans, victims of the Lord’s Resistance Army that kidnaps children and forces them to become soldiers. One brainwashing technique these men use is to tell them over and over that they are forgotten and no longer have a name. Once the children are rescued by brave volunteers, house parents begin teaching them about the love of Jesus. The first song they learn and the first song they sing at every concert is “He Knows My Name.” Leaping and dancing, the children sing that line repeatedly, their joy spreading through the entire crowd.

Christ is risen—and He knows our names!

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for speaking my name clearly in the deepest places of my heart.

By Eric Fellman
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5