Odd Kelpie behavior

Gravy

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 9:34am PST 
My son's kelpie Gravy never eats his food all at once. He grabs bits of kibble and then scatters it all over the house. When he is so inclined, he will stop and eat his varied food piles. The reason that I'd like to know if this is a common kelpie behavior is that 30 years ago, when I was working at Texas A & M, I adopted a puppy that came from a rancher's unwanted litter (he was going to drown them!). I was told that "Inky" was part border collie. She had giant "bat ears" and could jump about 4 feet straight up from a standstill. She also had a similar build to Gravy. It never occurred to me that she could have been part (or entirely) kelpie, until I saw Gravy's food distribution technique. Inky did the same thing. A really weird dog behavior, since all the other dogs I've owned or known just ate all their food immediately and never scattered it around the house. Does any one else have a kelpie that does this?
Bella

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 11:24am PST 
We've only recently discovered Kelpies and that our dog seems to fit the profile.

I've just started researching the breed so I'm not sure if that's common behavior but Bella also scatters her food around the house laugh out loud Specially if we feed her and leave the room. She'll carry a mouthful of kibble into the room we are in, then eat it and go back to the kitchen to get more.
Pennie

Born To Be Wild

Barked: Sun Nov 8, '09 1:07pm PST 
One of my dogs does this because the Kelpie is so alpha so won't let him get to the food bowl. So he grabs what he can and eats in other rooms. Usually in front of the TV.

Sydney

Barked: Tue Jun 1, '10 6:06pm PST 
I don't know if all kelpies are like this, but mine definitely does this too! She will grab a scoop of food and walk away to eat it. She doesn't leave piles anywhere, and cleans up any bits she might drop before going back for another mouthful, but she has done this since she was a puppy. It's quite silly...

Edited by author Tue Jun 1, '10 6:11pm PST