Question about my 9 month old boston...

Charles- Cooper - "Charlie"

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '09 2:01pm PST 
Hey, I have just recently joined this group. I have a 9 month old boston terrier named Charlie, he is mommy's baby smile I love him to death. I have had lots of dogs in the past, but none like a boston. I have one question! If we put a collar on Charlie, he will pull, not hard, and sometimes pass out! Is scares me to death! Does anyone else's do this? Should I see a vet about it?

Thanks,
Katie
Dixie Love

Thats Mine

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 4:13pm PST 
For starters make sure he is passed out and not just playing possum on you.
A lot of dogs don't like leashes and will not walk on one. So they find ways to make you stop pulling them with it.

If he his indeed passed out then YES take him to your Vet ASAP.
Bostons do have problems with their resportory systems, so please be careful and never pull to hard on the lead.
Good Luck.......................
I still think hes being a possum with you.*S*
Brady

Life is good- when you're- Brady!

Barked: Tue Oct 6, '09 10:32am PST 
Right. If he's truly passed out...no question, go directly to the vet. I sometimes just lay down, though, if we are on a long walk, or, if it's warm outside! I "go on strike" and act like I can't walk a step farther. BT's are very clever....you have to be on your toes!

Edited by author Tue Oct 6, '09 10:33am PST

SPRIGOT

Birthday Girl

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 2:39pm PST 
I have bred Bostons for 35 years. You should be using a harness, not a collar and that will help prevent that problem. You should never use a choke collar on a Boston, as yes, any short nose dog an have respiratory problems. Hope this helps.:

PS We had one who the minute you put a collar on him would plant all fours and gather up leaves as you walked him.. But he soon learned. You can also try walking backwards and calling him to you as a training tool on the leash.
Eden

Trouble...with a- capital T.

Barked: Tue Nov 24, '09 6:38pm PST 
I would suggest not using a collar/leash combination with your boston. They tend to have respiratory problems and if they pull to hard on their collar/leash I was told it can collapse their airway and give them breathing problems. I use a harness when I take Eden out for walks, and she has no problems with that.