May get LLhasa puppy next wek. Have questions

In Memory of- Bentley

Wanna play?

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '08 4:09pm PST 
I may be getting a Lhasa Apso puppy next week. I'm still trying to decide. One of the questions I am dealing with is that I now have a 14 month old granddauughter who is at my house 2 or 3 days per week. I'm wondering about young Lhasa Appso and yound children. The puppy will only be 7.5 weeks this weekend so I am thinking I should wait until she is 8.5 weeks before bringing her home.. I've never had or known a Lhasa before and I have questions about personality etc. I lost my dog Bentley on the day after Christmas. A friend with a Lhasa female had her dog bred to a Lhasa male (mom and dad are both AKC,,,but puppy won't have papers). She remembered that I lost Bentley...whom she loved...so she is offering me the ability to purchase one of her puppies.
I wish I could find an active Lhasa group similar to the group I was in with Bentley (he was a Yorkie/Shitzu mix) .At that time I found the Yorkie Talk group to be very busy and useful and fun. Anyone know of any Lhasa Groups that are active?....on or off Dogster?
Thank you
Yuji

If the toy- sqeaks, bite it

Barked: Sun May 4, '08 4:40am PST 
i would be happy to answer questions-but lhasa personalities are pretty different-my lhasa loves children but we're older and dont have any...dont know what he'd do if children actually lived in our house and would bug him all the time-its true that lhasas dont like to be surprised and children are spontaneous-but if they grow up together lhasa might be not be as inflexible-hope this helped
Frankie

The famous Frank- 'n Beans

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 10:29am PST 
That is pretty young to bring him/her home. The breeder where I got our puppy said she didn't let any of her pups go before 10 weeks . Frankie is now 6 months old. The one thing that might be a problem for you and your grandchildren is they are pretty mouthy. They like to hold your hand in their mouth, nip at your feet, and pull at clothes. If your grandchildren are very young, this might be scarry to them. It takes a lot of training to get them over this nipping stage. Frank still isn't there yet even with puppy classes. The nips don't hurt, but we don't pull our hand out either.

Sissy

pow-mascot &- Lhasa therapy- for shut ins

Barked: Wed Jun 10, '09 7:54pm PST 
I am now training my third Lhasa puppy. All of them have been very even tempered, gentle, and loved children. I am more concerned about the safety of such a tiny pup around a young child. It will need protection from curious finger probing eyes and other sensitive places, pulling hair, or playing too long when pup needs a nap, not to mention the danger of crushing injury if a toddler falls on top of the pup. Kennel cage training works well for this as well as potty training. As long as interactions between the two are well supervised by an adult, as is needed with any pet/young child interactions, the two can become best friends very quickly