what does your coonie do?

"Z"

Hounds are hugs- with fur.

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 5:38am PST 
Hello everyone. What does your coonhound do? "Z" loves to trail ride with parents and their horsey mounts. "Z" also excells at Geo Cache hunting, and loves to go for long walks in the woods. She is currently training to do some tracking and air-scenting work. Who knows, maybe she could be a Search and Rescue dog.snoopy
Baylee

Sniff,sniff,snif- f - Owhooooo!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '08 9:29am PST 
Baylee is learning to walk beside me but that isn't really what she likes. She prefers the forest so she now as an orange reflective vest and when I put it on her she knows where we are going. It's the only place I can let her off leash. She will sniff for hours out in the woods, going in culverts, small caves, walking on fallen trees. She's very quiet until she makes a find and then the baying starts and you can hear her for miles.
I am working on scent tracking with her and she's really good at it. She can find me and even though she goes up the mountain she will come back and find exactly where I'm sitting. I have a log that I am starting to use and when the weather gets better we are going to an evaluation for either SAR or some other type of scent hound work. She is on her best behavior after she's worked.
"Z"

Hounds are hugs- with fur.

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '08 1:29pm PST 
Oh wow Baylee, please be sure to post and let me know how you did on your evaluation. We are working on SAR skills too. We are also trying to complete our video portion of the Dog Scout test and get it submitted for evaluation. We have not found a SAR group close by to get involved with yet, but we are going to continue with the training.

Lotus

Love, love me do- - you know I love- you

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 5:05pm PST 
I am curious about how to introduce my master to letting me off leash in the woods. She's been on a few trail walks with the leash. She's also read all the advice about how the hound will follow a scent and disappear . . .She loves me so much, so I think she would be really upset if I took her out and got lost, or ran into some coyotes. I try to make friends with everything and everybody. Therefore, she is doubly concerned about what I might do when confronted with large animals in the White Mountains where we'll be hiking.

I am interested in other coonhound owner's experience about this topic to learn.