Curious to start.

Blue

The amazing- cow-dog!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 9:03am PST 
I'm very interested in trying clicker training methods on Blue, but I really don't know much about it. I understand that you teach the dog to associate the sound of the clicker with doing something right, and being rewarded. I am interested in trying strictly positive reinforcement methods as well, but that leaves me with a couple problems I'm unsure of how to resolve.

How do you stop unwanted behavior, like barking incessantly at guests, without "correcting"?

When using shaping methods, how do you give actions a command? Like, when Blue randomly does something I want to make a trick, do I click automatically, say the command I want to attach to it, then treat him? Or would I have to use luring and targeting methods for things like wiping his paws, spinning in circles, etc.?

Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated.
Kayla Evil- CGC TDI

Let's work! I- wanna work!!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 9:08pm PST 
How do you stop unwanted behavior, like barking incessantly at guests, without "correcting"?

- either remove the dog from the room for a TO in the crate, ask the dog to do something that he can't do while barking - ie sit, down, touch, or a shake can of pennies dropped on the floor to interrupt the behavior does well. Rule of thumb for unwanted behaviors: Interupt and redirect. Interupt unwanted and redirect to wanted. Make sure that reward heavy for not barking.

When using shaping methods, how do you give actions a command? Like, when Blue randomly does something I want to make a trick, do I click automatically, say the command I want to attach to it, then treat him? Or would I have to use luring and targeting methods for things like wiping his paws, spinning in circles, etc.?

- You don't want to place a cue on a behavior until the dog is readily offering said behavior. Then you will place the cue AS the dog is doing it and right BEFORE the click. Free shaping is done without lures - ie clicking when the dog lays it's head down. You can do shaping with food lures, but you must remember to get off the lure in 5 - 10 reps. Doing things the latter way you would lure, click, then treat.

You can think of using a clicker as a replacement for a verbal marker such as "yes". Anywhere you would say "yes" you would click. Pairing the clicker with food is easy, also known as charging the clicker. You'd start with a handful of treats and just click and treat (C/T for short). As long as the dog is not doing anything annoying C/T. Then start with something easy, such as sit. You can do it one of two ways: you can lure by having the treat between your index and middle finger, slowly bring the treat up and back between the dog's ear. C/T as soon and the dog's butt hits the floor. Repeat. Then you could free shape it. Get a hand full of hig value treats. Let the pup know you have them and then start walking away, when he catchs up to you, stop. Most dogs will stare at you then offer a sit. C/T if he does. Repeat. I tell my students that when the dog is reliably doing the behavior (8/10 tries perfect) you can name it. Name goes as the dog is doing the behavior right before the click.

That should give you an idea on how to use the clicker. Check out http://www.clickersolutions.com http://www.clickertraining.com and http://www.dogwise.com

These should be sites to know and love. Clicker heaven!! If i had a video camera I would show you a live demo. I use it for competitive obedience, agility, and rally-o. If you have any other questions please let me know.
Blue

The amazing- cow-dog!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 9:16am PST 
Thank you so much, that was very helpful! I'm definitely going to check out those sites right now, too. smile

Firefly

Lighting up my- mom's heart....

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 8:45am PST 
"remove the dog from the room for a TO in the crate"

I read that if you crate train your dog, that you are not supposed to use it as a negative thing. TO are negatives, and eventually, the dog will associate the crate with having him taken away.
Kayla Evil- CGC TDI

Let's work! I- wanna work!!

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 10:02pm PST 
I will have to disagree with you. You are placing your dog into the crate in a neutral manner, not with yelling and threats for a TO. Does a child associate his bedroom with a negative manner for TO? Not in the long run. The crate is a place to settle and relax. Most dogs need TOs b/c they are too aroused and ramped up. The crate recenters them. All five on my dogs are crate trained and have been placed in them for TOs with no side effects. It's a great way to separate you from the dog so that you don't do something that you will regret later.

A TO in another room will do if you are really against the crate. What I'm really stressing here is removing the dog from you. You lose your head, you lose me. Plain and simple.
Jet

I sure do love- walks &- treats!!! :D :D

Barked: Wed Sep 9, '09 4:24am PST 
I personally think that all you do is buy the clicker, and whenever your dog does the correct behavior, click the clicker, then barely one second afterwards give your dog a treat. Then, your dog will accosiate the good behavior with the clicker and the clicker with the treat. Paw mail me if you need anything else! Hope this helps!