Daily Devotions

Beau Chien,- NPC, PAWS

A doxie with- moxie!

Barked: Sat Nov 4, '06 7:40am PST 
This thread is for our daily devotions! May we each grow closer to our maker every day! These dovo's are filled with love and messages from God to each and every one of us!

Starting on 11/04/06, continue to look for new ones each day!
Beau Chien,- NPC, PAWS

A doxie with- moxie!

Barked: Sat Nov 4, '06 7:41am PST 
~*~!11/04/06!~*~

And they made bells of pure gold.” — Exodus 39:25

When Aaron, the high priest, went into the holy place in the Tabernacle in the wilderness, he wore a blue robe. At the bottom of his robe were little golden bells which tinkled as he walked. A curtain divided the holy place from the rest of the Tabernacle, and no one but the priest might enter it. The people watched as Aaron went in, and listened for the sound of the bells. As long as they heard them tinkle, they knew that Aaron was still alive and that God was pleased with the sacrifices of their worship.

We do not use golden bells in our church services, but most churches have bells in their steeples. Whenever we hear the church bell ring it says, “Come to worship God.” All over this great land of ours on the Lord’s Day, the bells are inviting people to prayer and praise. In the country, often a single bell is heard ringing through the fields and woods. In towns and cities, there is a chorus of bells calling men and women and boys and girls to meet our Heavenly Father. Some churches have chimes which play the great hymns of the Christian church. When the church bell rings, we should all obey its voice and come to Bible School and Church.

Another bell which is important in our lives is the alarm clock bell. This helps us to get up in time for school, for work, to catch a train or to keep an appointment. When we hear the alarm clock bell, it says, “Wake up, and get busy.”

Rally Day is sort of an alarm clock for our Bible School. After the summer months, when many of us have had vacations, we need to be reminded that we should all work together for our School and try to be regular in attendance and on time.

The door bell is an interesting bell. When it rings, we never know just who will be there, and we are often pleasantly surprised. Perhaps your dearest friend has come to see you, or someone calls whom you have not seen for a long time. Maybe it is someone who needs help. Then again, it may be the minister to make a pastoral call. When we ring a door bell, it asks the question, “May I come in?”

There is no bell like the dinner bell. I think most everybody welcomes it. When I was a boy, I often visited in the country. I used to go into the hayfields with the men and watch them load the wagons with hay. Or, when the harvest time came, I would see the giant engine thresh oats. How hungry everyone would be. At noon the dinner bell would sound, and we would all go to the house to sit at tables loaded with plenty of good food. How we all did eat! We always liked to hear the dinner bell say, “Come to dinner”

When we eat, let us all remember to thank God for the food that He has provided for us, in answer to our prayer, “Give us this day our daily bread.”

A very necessary bell is the school bell. It says, “Come to be educated.” What a fine opportunity the girls and boys of our land have to go to school to be taught lessons which will make them intelligent citizens. Our schools give training in so many useful and practical subjects, and also in the appreciation of music, art and the so-called finer things in life. I hope that you all appreciate your school and teachers, and that you are not like a boy I once knew. He didn’t like the school bell, but when the fire bell rang he always hoped that the school would burn down so that he wouldn’t have to attend classes any more.

There is another bell in this country which everyone knows. It is the Liberty Bell. It is housed in Independence Hall in Philadelphia where in 1776 it rang to celebrate the birthday of our nation. On this bell, around it’s rim, is this inscription taken from the Book of Leviticus, “Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof.”

The message of the Liberty Bell is “Freedom for all.”

This means freedom to live; freedom to work; and freedom to worship God.
Beau Chien,- NPC, PAWS

A doxie with- moxie!

Barked: Sun Nov 5, '06 8:42pm PST 
~*~!11/05/06!~*~

Air Castles

“Your young men shall see visions.” — Joel 2:28

The Bible tells of several young men who dreamed great dreams and saw great visions.

You will remember how Jacob ran away from home because he was afraid of his brother Esau whom he had wronged. The first night out, he slept in the desert with a stone for his pillow, and he had a marvelous dream. He saw a golden ladder which reached all the way from earth to heaven. The angels were running up and down the ladder and at the top stood God, Who promised to be with Jacob and to take care of him. Jacob awoke out of his dream, and said, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I knew it not.” Then he made a vow that God would be his God. He never forgot this dream. It made him a better man. One day God changed his name from Jacob, the deceiver, to Israel, a Prince of God.

Joseph had dreams of greatness. He had visions of being a great leader. It took a long while for his dreams to come true. He was sold into slavery. He was put in prison when he was innocent. But God was with him, and finally he became the food administrator of the great land of Egypt, and saved his family from starvation.

The Apostle Paul had a great vision which changed his life. He was traveling along the Damascus road on his way to kill all the Christians he could find, when a great light shone from heaven, and the voice of Jesus spoke to him. He was converted then and there, and became the great Christian missionary of the early church. All the people who have made this world a better place in which to live have had great visions and have dreamed great dreams.

Abraham Lincoln dreamed of the day when there would be no more slavery in the United States. He said that it was wicked to buy and sell Negroes as slaves. He believed that God had created all men free and equal. When he became President, he did something about it. He signed the Emancipation Proclamation giving all slaves their freedom.

James Watt was a dreamer. One day he was sitting in the old-fashioned kitchen of his home, watching the steam rise from the spout of the teakettle on the cook- stove. Suddenly, the lid raised up, caused by the violent boiling of the water. It set him to thinking about the power of steam, with the result that he invented the steam engine, which makes work easier in the industrial world.

Henry Ford dreamed about a horseless carriage. He worked long and hard until at last he made an automobile. This has changed our way of traveling. We can ride great distances in a short time. We hardly ever see horses any more.

Wilbur and Orville Wright had visions of flying through the air. A great many people thought that they were foolish, but they kept right on. One day they finished an airplane, and flew only a short distance. Their dreams came true, and today we can fly everywhere in the world, across the widest oceans and over the highest mountains.

Albert Schweitzer had a vision. He already was a great musician and a noted University professor, when he saw the statue of a black man from Africa. He learned that these poor people were dying from disease, and that there were no doctors where they lived. So he gave up his professorship, studied medicine and became a doctor. Then he and his wife, who is a trained nurse, went to Africa far away from civilization and are spending their lives there ministering to the sick. Once in a while, when he needs money for medicines or to equip his hospital, he comes to Great Britain and America and gives concerts on the pipe-organ. Then he hastens back to the work to which he has dedicated his life. He is obedient to the heavenly vision.

We should all build air-castles; see great visions; and dream great dreams. We should plan on doing great things. Begin now! But first of all, be a God-fearing person, and do the thing nearest at hand with all your might.

Beau Chien,- NPC, PAWS

A doxie with- moxie!

Barked: Mon Nov 6, '06 2:11pm PST 
~*~11/06/06!~*~

Filling Your Niche

“To every man according to his several ability.” — Matthew 25:15

Our Lord told the story about a man who decided to make a trip to a distant country. As he expected to be away for a long while, he called his servants and gave them each some money to invest for him. To one, he gave five talents; to another, two; and to another, one. A silver talent was worth about two thousand and fifty dollars in our money. So you see, they each had a considerable sum to take care of. After he had settled all of his affairs, the man departed on his journey.

The servant with five talents traded with them till he doubled the amount. The servant with the two talents did the same. But the one who had received one talent dug a hole in the ground and buried it.

After some time, the man returned from his trip, and called his servants to him so that he might learn what they had done. He was very much pleased with those who had doubled their talents. He praised them highly and rewarded them generously. But the one who was afraid and had hidden his talent was severely scolded and punished.

God has given each one of us talents which we are to use for Him. You have your special abilities, and I have mine. We are responsible for them, and we will be called upon to give an account to Him as to what we have done with our talents and abilities. Do not hide them, but put them to work for the glory of God.

There are no two blades of grass alike in all the world. Botanists tell us that there is something different about each one. So, too, with snowflakes. Even though each one is six-sided, yet the crystals of each are arranged in different patterns. So, too, with people. There are no two exactly alike. Not even twins. You are different from me, and I am not like you. God made us in His image. We have souls as well as bodies. We have minds to think and plan.

When Arthur was a young man, before he was king, he went to London with Sir Ector and Sir Kay. There was to be a tournament of arms for all the English knights. In the courtyard of the great church was a large, square stone with a steel anvil embedded in it. A beautiful sword pierced through the anvil so that the jewel-studded hilt was on one side and the sharp point on the other. Around this sword, in golden letters, was written, “Whoso draweth this sword out of this stone and anvil is the true-born King of Britain.”

On the day of the tournament, Sir Kay discovered that he had left his own sword at his lodgings, so he asked Arthur to get it for him. When Arthur came to the lodgings, he found that the doors were locked as all had gone to the jousting. So he turned back disappointed, but when he passed the church he spied the sword in the stone, and thought what a fine weapon it would be for Sir Kay. He grasped it by the hilt, and it came out easily. When Kay received it, he recognized it as the magic sword. He showed it to Sir Ector, and said, “I must be the king, because I have the sword.” But Sir Ector asked, “Where did you get it?” He answered, “From Arthur.” Sir Ector asked Arthur where he had obtained it, and he replied, “I drew it from the stone.”

Then they all three went to the stone, and Sir Ector ordered Arthur to put the sword back in place and to draw it out again. He did so easily. Ector and Kay both tried it, but the sword remained immovable. So they entered the church and told the Archbishop all about it. The Archbishop appointed a time for all the knights and nobles of the realm to assemble to decide who would be king. On New Year’s Day, each one in turn tried to draw the sword from the stone, but each one failed. Last of all came Arthur, who without effort withdrew the beautiful sword before the astonished company. He was the only one who could do it, and so he was crowned King Arthur of Britain.

God has given each our own work to do. You cannot fill my place and I cannot fill yours. There is something which you alone can do. That is the purpose of your life. Find out what that purpose is by prayer, meditation and Bible reading, and then do it, with God’s help.
Beau Chien,- NPC, PAWS

A doxie with- moxie!

Barked: Wed Nov 8, '06 5:52am PST 
~*~!11/07/06!~*~

Explorers

“And he went out, not knowing whither he went” – Hebrews 11:8

Christopher Columbus was a very poor Italian boy who did not have the opportunity to go to school. However he read all the books he could find about geography and travel. His favorite stories were those of the voyages of Marco Polo. In those days, most people believed the world was flat, and that it had four corners. Columbus said that the world was round, and that if you sailed a boat West you could circle the globe and come back to the place in the East where you started from.

The merchants and sailors wanted to find a shorter way to the west coast of India. Columbus told then how he would do it, and they laughed at him. He tried to persuade rich men to help him, but they refused. At last, he went to the court of Spain, and King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella gave him three little ships, the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. With these sailing vessels, he made a strange and wonderful voyage. No one had ever crossed these waters before. He did not know just where he was going. The sailors were afraid, and wanted to turn back. They expected to see horrible sea monsters, and thought that they would come to the edge of the ocean and drop off into space. But Columbus said, “I will not turn back till, with the help of God, I find that land.” So he kept right on.

After two months and a week, one night he saw a light in the darkness. Next morning he landed on the island of San Salvador. Then he saw more islands and thought that he had reached the Western islands of India. So Columbus called the people who lived there Indians.

Another great explorer was Abraham. We read about him in the Book of Genesis. When he was living at Haran, God told him to leave his home and set out to explore the land which He would show him. It was not an easy thing to do. First of all, he had to leave his relatives and friends. He did not know whether he would ever see them again. Then too, it was rather difficult to travel in those days. There were no automobiles, trains or planes. People either walked or rode on animals. There were no roads such as we have. There were wild beasts and savage nations. He had to travel slowly, because he took sheep, goats and cattle with him. It was like a long camping trip. He pitched his tents from place to place where there was water and grass.

A young man, named Lot, went with him. It was a great adventure for God. In the Book of the Hebrews we read, that when God called Abraham he obeyed, and went out by faith, not knowing where he was going. He was looking for a city with foundations, whose builder and maker is God. He followed wherever God

led.

The Apostle Paul was a great explorer too. He did not go out to seek new lands, but he heard the call to preach the Gospel. He had not always been a Christian, in fact there was a time when he hated Christians, and persecuted them often. One day, at high noon, as he was traveling on the Damascus road, a bright light shone round about him, and Jesus spoke to him from heaven. His whole life was changed from that time on and he became a traveler and explorer for God. He made three long voyages on land and by sea and went from city to city building churches and witnessing for Jesus. He had a great many adventures. He was shipwrecked, and drifted on the ocean on a raft for a day and a night. He was imprisoned many times; beaten and stoned; robbed and starved. One time he escaped from his enemies by being let down over the wall in a basket. Finally, he died in the city of Rome where he was a prisoner for the Gospel’s sake.

We should all be explorers for God. There may not be any new lands on earth to discover, but God needs explorers who will go for Him to find new ways of bringing health, peace, brotherhood and salvation to all men everywhere. Be an explorer for Him.

“I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord,

Over mountain, or plain, or sea;

I’ll say what you want me to say, dear Lord,

I’ll be what you want me to be.”
Beau Chien,- NPC, PAWS

A doxie with- moxie!

Barked: Wed Nov 8, '06 5:53am PST 
~*~!11/08/06!~*~

Decision Day: Saying Yes

“When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.”—Psalm 27:8

The parable of the Pearl of Great Price tells about a man who loved pearls. He was a jeweler who was always looking for these precious gems. One day he learned of a pearl which was the finest of them all. He said to himself, “I must surely own this one.” But it cost a great deal, and it seems that he didn’t have enough money to buy it. So he sat down to think it over. He figured that if he sold his collection of gems he would have just the right amount. What should he do? He considered it seriously and decided to sell all that he had. Then he bought the Pearl of Great Price. How happy he was when it was his own!

We should all seek the highest and best, and then choose the finest. Jesus offers the best. He wants us to choose Him and His way of life. Say “Yes” to Him.

Jacob and Esau were twin brothers. They lived long ago in a large tent made of the skins of sheep and goats. Esau loved the great outdoors and went hunting for deer with bow and arrow. He brought venison home to his father, Isaac. Jacob preferred to stay at home with his mother, Rebekah, and he helped her with the cooking. I am sorry to say that these brothers didn’t get along very well, but often quarreled.

Now Isaac loved Esau, and gave him the birthright, which meant that someday Esau would become the head of the family and be responsible for all the property. This was a great honor for Esau, but he didn’t fully appreciate it. Jacob was jealous of his brother and was always scheming how he might get the birthright for himself.

One day, Esau came home from a hunting trip, very tired and hungry. The minute he came into the tent, he smelled something good cooking. Jacob was preparing red lentil stew, and Esau asked for something to eat. Here was Jacob’s chance, so he said, “Sell me this day thy birthright.” Esau was one of those boys who was ruled by his stomach instead of his head, so he said, “Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?“ So he made the trade for a bowl of lentil stew. Thus Esau despised his birthright. He made a great mistake which he regretted all the rest of his life. He sold his future good for present satisfaction.

There are a great many people today who are just like him. They think only of the present and the needs of the body, when they should think of the future and the needs of the soul. We should all say “Yes” to God and not despise the birthright which He offers us.

Once upon a time there was a fair young maiden who owned a beautiful diamond. Her five brothers wanted it, and each one tried to persuade her to part with it. The first brother was a musician, who said, “Give it to me, and I will sing and play for you.” The girl answered, “When the music ceases, what will I have left? I will not sell.”

The second brother was an artist. “I will paint you a wonderful picture,” he said. But the sister replied, “Someone might steal it.”

The third brother, who was a merchant, bargained with her, saying, “I will bring you spices and perfumes from Egypt.” “Their fragrance will fade,” said the girl

The fourth brother, a cook, tempted her by suggesting, “I will prepare a delicious banquet for you.” The sister replied, “When my appetite is satisfied and my taste departed, what have I left?”

The fifth brother was a builder, who said, “I will build you a magnificent palace.” But the sister refused, saying, “It will be filled with cares, even though I would be queen.”

Then along came a prince, who loved her, and he said, “I will give you myself,” to which the maiden replied without hesitation, “I accept the gift. I will be yours, and you shall be mine forever.”

Jesus gave His life for you. He wants you to love Him with all of your heart and soul and strength and mind. He wants you for His own. Say “Yes” to Him.
Beau Chien,- NPC, PAWS

A doxie with- moxie!

Barked: Thu Nov 9, '06 6:26am PST 
~*~!11/09/06!~*~

Good Citizenship Day: Getting Along with Others

“Can two walk together, except they be agreed?”—Amos 3:3

One of the things we all have to learn in life is how to get along with other people. If we lived alone on a desert island we could do as we pleased and think as we pleased. But since we live in a world filled with other human beings we must learn to respect their honest opinions even if these differ from ours.

Two knights, in shining armor, were riding along the king’s highway. One was traveling East and the other West when they met at the cross-roads where a large shield was hanging from a tree. Both dismounted from their horses to examine the shield. “It’s blue,” said one knight. “It’s red,” said the other, and each one insisted that he was right. After arguing for a while, they became very angry and challenged each other to a fight. So they mounted their horses and fought furiously with lances until both fell to the ground. Then, rising to their feet, they drew their swords and battled until they were exhausted.

As they were resting by the roadside, still shouting at each other, a monk came riding by on a donkey. He stopped, and asked them what they were doing and why they were shouting. They explained the reason for their quarreling, and asked the monk to decide who was right. He climbed down from his donkey, and looked very carefully at the shield. Then he began to laugh, and said, “You are both right. The shield is blue on one side and red on the other.” Then they felt very much ashamed of themselves, and hastened to apologize. You see, they had to learn that there are usually two sides to every question.

We would also get along better with people if we tried to understand why they believed certain things and why they said certain things. We do not always know the reasons why they speak or act as they do.

Four blind men once lived in India. They had been blind all their lives, and whenever they got together they liked to argue about different things. Each one thought that he was very wise, and each one thought that he was always right.

One evening, as they sat by the side of the road, they heard an elephant coming towards them. One of them said, “Here comes an elephant. We have often talked about such an animal, but we have never agreed as to what he is like. Now let us settle this matter at once, and we shall learn who is right and who is wrong.”

They all agreed to this, and each one in turn went to feel the elephant.

The first blind man was very tall. He touched the elephant’s side, and felt up and down and left and right as far as he could reach in every direction. “Just as I told you before,” he said, “the elephant is like the side of a large house.”

The second blind man then took his turn. He was a very short fellow and it happened that he touched the elephant’s foreleg. He felt this up and down and around for a while, and then exclaimed, “Just as I always said, the creature is round like the trunk of a tree.”

The third blind man groped forward and took hold of the elephant’s long trunk. After feeling it for some time, he laughed and cried out, “You are both wrong! The animal is just like a spout.”

The fourth blind man came to the elephant’s head, reached out and grasped one of the ivory tusks. “You are all wrong,” he shouted, “the creature is plainly like a smooth, round stick.”

Then they all went back to the side of the road, and sat down and began to quarrel. They could not agree at all. They did not realize that each was partly right, and that no one of them knew all about the elephant.

The Prophet Amos asked the question, “Can two walk together, except they be agreed ?” He meant to say that people can get along together if they choose to do so.

We do not have to think exactly alike, but we can agree to respect each other’s honest views and allow each other the right to express them. If we would all do this, there would be no misunderstandings or quarrels, and war would be a thing of the past.
Shadow

Why are people- afraid of me?

Barked: Sun Jan 7, '07 2:14pm PST 
Awesome idea, Beau! I`d follow along every day if you`d consider keep doing it!
♥Kady- ♥

Little tinky- princess

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '07 2:28am PST 
Thanks for writing these devotionals.I hope all is well,with you since it has been so long since any group activity has transpired,God Bless!
BENNY

OH, NO YOU DONT- .

Barked: Fri Nov 21, '08 6:57am PST 
Beau, that was beautiful. We are now into Nov. but the message helped me. Thank you. hughughug