Food Thread

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Jumpin' Kody- Bear Snuggle- Dog

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 8:20pm PST 
Hi...new to posting here in this group: ) Just thought I'd say that I'm eating Hill's ZD allergen free, same as Tuesday. I'm allergic to pretty much everything and I have asthma so this is working pretty well for me.way to go
Lucy Boo

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '07 12:26pm PST 
Hello. I'm Lucy and I am allergic to everything under the sun...including my humans. I have tried the Natural Balance Duck & Potato. It seemed to work for awhile and then I just started itching again. It made my MeMe wonder if it was made from pure duck or if there was some chicken thrown in there. The only thing that we have found that I can eat is the Hill's Prescription Diet d/d (one protein/one starch). I used to get the duck formula and the venison formula for variety but now the duck seems to make me itch. So venison is the only thing I eat...good thing I like it. It is VERY expensive and you can only get it from a vet. I can eat turkey but all of the dog food that is labled as turkey seems to have chicken also and I am allergic to chicken. Does anyone know of a canine turkey food that is JUST turkey?
Liberty

You make it,- I'll eat it!

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '07 5:04pm PST 
I have some information that may help some of you other pups with allergies.

I recently switched to a new veterinarian that has a lot more experience with allergies. He is so much more knowledgable than my last vet. (He has had a lot of experience with allergies, my old vet seemed to know nothing and had us spending a lot of money and time without any results.) The new vet didn't think I was allergic to food because of how I react to my allergies. He thinks I am allergic to something I'm breathing in.

Because it was still a possibility that I'm allergic to food, he suggested a new food. He explained that although they used to think that switching to an elimination diet would help, after doing studies, they've found that doesn't work. It isn't the protein itself that causes food allergies, but the molecular weight of the protein. So, if you switch food, to duck and potatoe, etc., it may help for a while, but after a couple weeks you'll start itching again.

The new vet said that there is a food that has the correct molecular weight to help dogs with food allergies. It is called Purina HA made by Purina Veterinary Diets.

I tried this food for a while, and had no change in my allergies. I have been off of my steroids for 6 weeks now and am going to the vet this week for allergy testing. He is going to take some blood and send it to a lab in MN for allergy testing. Mom agrees now that it seems unlikely that I'm allergic to food, but they are going to test my blood for food allergies, just in case.

Coco

Rub my belly- paw-leeeeze

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 7:40am PST 
It seems this group page is in an 'inactive' state. Well, I hope this post makes it 'active' again! Woof! Well, it's been almost one year since the last response, I hope all of you are still out there!!

I'm allergic to poultry (chicken and turkey) --- I'm also allergic to rice and flax, so it's really hard to find 'natural' foods for me because a lot of them either have rice and/or flax seed. My mom currently has me on Royal Canin's Duck and Potato, which she buys from PetSmart and it requires a prescription. It seems to work, but right now - because it's summer - I'm still itching, but not as much. She also tried Taste of the Wild's Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon, but she thought I was straining too much to poop when I was on that one. She wants to try it again because it's cheaper than Royal Canin and she doesn't have to feed me as much.

As for the Avo-Derm, I tried it before my allergies kicked in, but my poop was too loose on that food. My mom and the human at the pet food store thought the avocado may have been too rich for me.

Liberty, I'd like to know what happened with your allergy test. I had one last year and my mom couldn't believe the number of things I was allergic to.

Wags and wiggles and less scratchin' and head shaking my pups!!!
blue dog
Mulligan

The- Flying Bichon-

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 9:41am PST 
Mulligan has been having more problems with food allergies in the last few months. We are on the Hill's ultra Z/D right now. It has helped a lot...but I don't like Hill's food. Our vet said after we calm everything down with the elimation diet we can try to introduce new foods.(being a human with food allergies I understand this well)
I am on the fence whether to find a good kibble like the natural Balance, California Natural ect, or making a homemade diet using osterich. The vet said osterich or emu may be a good protien source to use. Osterich we can obtain rather painlessly, emu we cannot. We know for sure Mulligan cannot have beef, chicken, turkey, and wheat...who knows what else? shrug
Mulligan has never had fish. I would be interested to hear from others if that works well for their pups.thinking
Mulligan

The- Flying Bichon-

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 10:24am PST 
After just researching Natural Balance I think we may try, in a few weeks the sweet potato and fish variety. Wish us Luckpuppy
Coco

Rub my belly- paw-leeeeze

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 10:47am PST 
I wish you well on your new food, Mulligan. You'll have to let us know how it goes. My allergies are really bad this month. My mom checked my vet records and discovered that it was this time last year that I stayed at the vet's office because of all the lickin' and scratchin' and it was this time of year we did an allergy test and discovered I had allergies and what I was allergic to. She's giving me Benadryl and up'd my Temaril P meds to two per day instead of one.
blue dog
Mulligan

The- Flying Bichon-

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 5:39pm PST 
Coco, I hope you feel better soon. Allergies Stinkcry
I hate Benadryl, it makes me so sleepy!
Houlu

Here is my- belly. Commence- rubbing.

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 5:43pm PST 
Hi everyone!
Bringin' this thread back to life... another year has passed since the last post!
I have recently switched over to Nature's Balance Sweet Potato/Fish from Science Diet's Natural stuff. I have already noticed an improvement in my skin trouble and less itching, and I've only been on it for a week!
I'm still scratching and chewing on my paws, though, and I'm wondering how long it might take to see the full effects of my food switch. Does anyone have any tips on how long their Humans kept them on a certain food before switching to find the best fit?
Thanks so much!
Hu
Spot

Boomer Did It

Barked: Mon May 31, '10 6:54am PST 
I guess time for the yearly revival. How ironic that as I post, we've seen sooooo many allergy cases at work. Guess it's that time of year again in Florida! Spot was on Pedigree when I initially realized that this food was ok for Boomer (shiney coat, correct weight, no issues other than horrible gas) but SPOT broke out nearly every day, had horrible ear infections and was on antibiotics frequently.

I began researching food, put him on Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul, and he did a little better, but still had outbreaks and ear infections. Finally switched to Natural Balance Venison & Potato. No outbreaks but too expensive. Switched to Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula. Had Chicken fat in it. No issues. Still on the expensive side. Switched to Prey Model Raw...Added Beef. about 20 minutes later he looked like he had hives and the next AM he had the worst staph infection I had ever seen. No beef and no issues since!
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3