Food Thread

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Thu Apr 13, '06 10:01am PST 
I thought that it would be cool to start a food thread for the dogs with food allergies. What foods work for you guys?

Storm is having great luck with Wellness Super5Mix Lamb formula. It isn't a single-protien (it has fish in it, too) but he is itching far less and he actually eats it regularly!
TUESDAY

Merry- Christmas!

Barked: Fri Apr 14, '06 7:03pm PST 
Hi Storm, thanks for starting the thread.
I have tried several. I am back to Hill's Z/D allergen free. It's what works best for me. I can get it dry and in a can. I have tried Lamb and rice....it makes me itch and I have tried venison and potato and it made me sick. I eat the Hill's well and it really is yummy not to mention mommy can make my good girl cookies from it as I can not have treats. It really has helped cut down on the itching. Of course with Spring here I am itchy anyway.
Daisy

Barked: Mon Apr 17, '06 1:03pm PST 
I'm doing GREAT with Purina Benefel Healthy Radiance (the one for healthy skin). I have a before picture (before I got on Beneful) posted on my personal page (it's my last picture). It's quite a difference from my newer pictures!

Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Tue Apr 18, '06 11:20am PST 
Tuesday, I've tried a few as well. My Person switched me over from the Iams that my foster mom was feeding me to Royal Canin Maxi as soon as I was home - but I was still itching because of the chicken. I then tried Natural Balance Duck and Potato, which helped a little, but I was still itching/licking a bit and the food gave me a funny smell. That's when we switched to the Wellness food I'm on, which is entirely poultry-free.

Daisy - what were you on before you tried Purina?
Daisy

Barked: Tue Apr 18, '06 12:00pm PST 
Well, my mommy and daddy are far from rich, so we got real cheap food.

I was on Old Roy, and then they switched us to Dad's. Both were bad, Old Roy being the worst though and gave us all really bad stinkies.
TUESDAY

Merry- Christmas!

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 5:04am PST 
Food can really make a BIG difference. How are you doing on your new food?
Zero

I LOVE me some- little dogs!

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 10:37am PST 
Hi Guys,

I have been tichy too! and have yuk in my ears ALLERGIES! I am still a pup, but Mom is trying to find a food to suite me. Today we bought a small bag of the Natural Balance Duck&Potato. I see that Storm said that it makes him stinky???? I'm just hoping that I like it and that it sits well with me...I'm a little bit of a picky eater too. My allergies aren't bad (pretty mild so far), but we would rather find a solution early on.
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Fri Apr 21, '06 2:23pm PST 
Hey, Zero!

I know that different foods can affect different dogs differently - especially when dealing with allergies! Go ahead and give it a shot - it may be your miracle food. smile
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 2:03pm PST 
Tuesday, was that question to me? BOL!

So far, so good. He's having no problems with his back and butt - no more open wounds! - and, despite our previous vet's doubts, his anal glad problem has gone away due to the food change...

I do still see him scratching around his ears a little more than I'd like, though. I don't know whether I'm being overly sensitive but, thus far, my instincts haven't steered me wrong. I read somewhere that wheat allergies can lead to ear problems. Have you (or anyone else here!) heard of that?
TUESDAY

Merry- Christmas!

Barked: Mon Apr 24, '06 7:25pm PST 
Have I heard of that? I can't be for certain but I do get ear infections about 1 a month. The vet thinks it's allergies. But I will say, I haven't have one in a couple of months. I have also had tonsillitis! Again they think from allergies. My vet says no wheat, no whey, no flour & try brown rice products not white rice. Of course that leaves pretty much nothing!! I'm doing okay. I saw him today, I got a shot mostley becasue of things in the air....you know seasonal stuff. Anyway, he said I looked great and compared to some of his poor doggies I don't even look like I have allergies at all. So I really feel bad for you all that are so terrible, miserable and....bleeding. Yikes! I can't imagine.
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3