* Tessa's Tips* Share Yours!

(Page 7 of 37: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  [Last 10 entry]  
Tessa

You may- approach.

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 4:43am PST 
FEBRUARY 8, 2009 - FIRST COMFIRMED PEANUT SALMONELLA INFECTION IN A DOG

Quote:
This is a press release courtesy of the Oregon Public Health DivisionState Public Health Veterinarian Emilio DeBess reported the first confirmed case of salmonella infection in an Oregon dog related to recalled pet products containing peanut ingredients. A 3-year-old mixed-breed dog from Oakland (Douglas County) that consumed Happy Tails dog biscuits from Albertsons developed a severe case of diarrhea. Tests at Oregon State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory showed that it had serogroup B salmonella. The strain implicated in the current outbreak is also in serogroup B.Happy Tails dog biscuits and other pet treats containing peanut ingredients made by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) have been recalled due to potential salmonella contamination. PCA is the focus of an FDA investigation.Dr. Paul Gore, Oakland Veterinary Hospital, reported this case to Dr. DeBess, who had asked Oregon veterinarians to report dogs that developed diarrhea after consuming recalled products.The product, Happy Tails Multi-Flavor dog biscuits, UPC 41163 42403, in a 4 lb. box with a “best by” date of Oct 31 09, was tested at IEH Laboratories & Consulting Group in Lake Forest Park, WA. The testing showed Salmonella. In late January, Albertsons recalled its store brand Happy Tails multi-flavored dog biscuit products that were sold at Albertson’s stores in several states, including Oregon. The biscuits contained peanut butter made by PCA. The following products were recalled:
Happy Tails Multi-Flavored Dog Biscuits, 26 oz, UPC: 41163-42406

Happy Tails Multi-Flavored Dog Biscuits, 4 lb, UPC: 41163-42403
Pet owners are advised to check their pet treats to see if they have any of the recalled products in their household. “If you do, stop feeding them to your pets immediately. If the product is open, dispose of it in a pet-safe location,” Dr. DeBess recommended. Unopened products should be returned to the store of purchase. Other affected brands include: Healthy Hide, Shoppers Valu, Carolina Prime Pet, Salix, Grreat Choice and Happy Tails. A list of recalled pet treats is available on the Oregon Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA) Web site (oregonvma.org).Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea (sometimes bloody), fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Well animals can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. “If your pet has consumed any recalled product and has symptoms like these, contact your veterinarian,” advised DeBess.The OVMA cautions pet owners to wash their hands after touching dogs who are sick because of the potential of bacterial transmission. Over 575 human illnesses in 43 states have been identified-most in the past 3 months-including 12 cases to date in Oregon. This outbreak has been linked to the consumption of peanut butter and peanut or peanut butter-containing foods.The OVMA will continue to work with the State Public Health Veterinarian and Oregon veterinarians to inform pet owners of the potential risks to themselves and their pets. Veterinarians are asked to report suspected cases to the Oregon Public Health Division.The Oregon Veterinary Medical Association is a nonprofit organization of veterinarians who are dedicated to helping people give their animals a high quality of life.
Unquote
Tessa

You may- approach.

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 7:57am PST 
FEBRUARY 9, 2009 - RABBIT FEVER

I have never heard of Tularemia, Rabbit Fever, so in case you haven't either, I am passing along these educational articles on the subject. Especially important for doggers who are lucky enough to chase prey and those unlucky enough to get ticks and fleas from wildlife.

Quote:
Tularemia (Rabbit Fever) in Dogs
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.
Holly Nash, DVM, MS

Tularemia is a relatively rare bacterial disease of birds, animals, and people and is found throughout the Northern Hemisphere. It is also called 'rabbit fever.' What causes tularemia? Tularemia is caused by Francisella tularensis. There are two strains of this bacteria. Type A generally causes a more severe disease in people. Type B has a more complex life cycle than Type A. How is F. tularensis transmitted? In North America, F. tularensis is spread from animal to animal by four different ticks: Dermacentor andersoni, D. variabilis, D. occidentalis, and Amblyomma americanum. Ticks become infected through feeding on infected animals or birds and can transmit the bacteria to another animal any time during the tick's life cycle (2 years). Fleas, like ticks, can transmit tularemia because of their feeding habits. Dogs and cats can also become infected by eating infected rabbits or rodents. What are the symptoms of tularemia in pets? Dogs appear to be fairly resistant to the disease and the only symptoms may be loss of appetite, listlessness, and a low fever. Cats are more susceptible and may develop high fevers and swollen lymph nodes. Puppies and kittens are usually more severely affected than older animals. How is tularemia diagnosed? A blood test which tests for the animal's antibodies (proteins produced to fight off the infection) to F. tularensis is available. The antibodies may not be detected in the early phase of the disease since it takes some time for the body to make them. As the disease progresses, the antibody level will rise. Being able to grow F. tularensis in the laboratory from discharges or tissues from the affected animal is the sure way to diagnose the disease. How is tularemia treated? The best antibiotic to use to treat tularemia in dogs has not been determined. In people gentamicin and streptomycin are used. Newer antibiotics such as enrofloxacin (Baytril) and ciprofloxacin may be effective. How is tularemia prevented? As with other diseases transmitted by fleas or ticks, flea control and tick control are the foundations of prevention. Products which repel and kill ticks and fleas such as those containing permethrins (Bio Spot-Spot On for Dogs and K9 Advantix) are good choices for dogs. For dogs, tick collars containing the active ingredient amitraz are also used, sometimes in conjunction permethrin-containing products in those areas with high tick infestations. Restricting dogs from killing, eating, or coming into contact with dead rodents and rabbits is also important. What are the important points to remember about tularemia in people? People usually develop a lesion at the site of the tick bite which is called an 'indolent ulcer.' Enlarged lymph nodes are a common sign. If the bacteria was ingested (by eating undercooked rabbit, or off of unwashed hands after handling an infected rabbit), intestinal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea can occur. The time from the exposure to the bacteria, either through ingestion or a tick bite, until symptoms occur is generally 3 days. It is important to note that F. tularensis can live in frozen rabbit meat for over 3 years.

From the government of Kentucky:
Division of Epidemiology
275 E. Main St.
Frankfort, KY 40621
(502) 564-3418 or 3261

What is Tularemia?

Tularemia is a zoonotic bacterial disease occurring in both animals and man. It is caused by the bacteria Francisella tularensis and is most commonly associated with rabbits.

How is Tularemia spread?
People may become infected with Tularemia from the bite of infected ticks of several species, including the wood tick, dog tick and the lone star tick, and less commonly from bites from flies or mosquitoes. People also may be infected from handling the carcasses of infected animals, from eating improperly cooked meat from infected animals, from contaminated water sources, and from inhalation of dust from contaminated soil, hay or grain. On rare occasions a person may be infected from the bite wound of an animal that has a contaminated mouth from eating an animal that had tularemia.
Who is at risk?
Hunters are more at risk in the winter months if they handle the carcasses of infected animals and in the summer, children and people who spend a lot of time in areas that may have tick infestations.
The Symptoms of Tularemia
Tularemia most often presents with an ulcer at the site where the bacteria entered the body and regional swelling of lymph nodes; there may only be lymph node enlargement. Ingestion of the organism produces a sore throat, abdominal pain, diarrhea and vomiting. Inhalation of the bacteria may produce a lung infection or primary septicemia (blood poisoning). Other rare forms of the disease also occur.Symptoms develop within 1 to 14 days, usually within 3-5 days.
How is Tularemia diagnosed and treated?
Diagnosis is based on clinical symptoms and confirmed through laboratory tests. Specific antibiotics prescribed by a physician. Long term immunity follows recovery, but reinfection has been reported.
How can Tularemia be prevented?
Avoid bites of ticks, flies, and mosquitoes.
Avoid drinking, bathing, swimming or working in untreated water.
Wear rubber gloves when skinning or handling animals, especially rabbits.
Thoroughly cook meat of rabbits and wild rodents before eating.
Tessa

You may- approach.

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 6:53pm PST 
I finally got to try Shelby's tip about calming a pupper during a reverse sneezing "attack". Fitz did his usual 'Me First!' act while getting ready to go out for a walk and started the reverse sneezing. Mom got down on the floor with him and soothed him and he recovered more quickly. Thanks, Shelby!

EmmaJean

Luvin Life

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 4:03am PST 
Rabbit fever? wow ....another thing we have to worry about.......but it's great information Tessa......applause
Shelby

Ready to go!

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 4:45am PST 
I am glad that calming trick worked, Fitz!

Back to Bag Balm...it is more difficult to find these days...we wish the best for that company. If you cannot find it, or if it's a little too expensive, now, I use this creamy stuff called SpaPaws. Sounds fancy, smells fancy, looks fancy, but very affordable, and mom has been using the same canister for about a year now, on my paws. ...she doesn't even use it all the time, but when she sees I may be getting a little dry. All natural ingredients. It makes mom's hands feel good, too! She waits until I have the sleepies to put it on my tootsies. It does say not to use it if severely cracked? We bought it at Petco, and it is in a little round can. It's good stuff.
Tessa

You may- approach.

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 5:45am PST 
Thanks, Shelby! I think we all feel a better about trying a new product when we know a friend is already satisfied with it!
Tessa

You may- approach.

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 6:07am PST 
FEBRUARY 10, 2009 - NAIL GROOMING TIP
Sorry that I couldn't get a link going so that you could see the pictures of how the mug was clamped to the table. But "ingenuity is the mother of invention" if you think this might work for you.

From the 'Terrier Tattler' blog.
Quote:
A Great (Tasting) Grooming Tip

Here is a fantastic grooming tip from Joan Castell & Breezy - THANKS, guys!!! Would love to hear your grooming secrets too - send yours to bianca@2westies.com

Breezy, my Cardigan Welsh Corgi, hates to have her nails cut (actually hates having anything done to her). I learned the peanut butter mug trick from Dr. Laurie McCauley when Breezy was having chiropractic adjustments done at her clinic.

Spread the peanut butter on the inside of the mug and it takes awhile for the dog to lick it all out. It lasts even longer if it's frozen. The problem is, if you're alone you can't hold the mug and cut nails at the same time so I came up with this method of clamping it to the table. It works great and is much less stressful for both of us.
Unquote
SNOWBALL

BAN THE DEED NOT- THE BREED

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 5:23pm PST 
way to goway to goway to goway to go
Tessa

You may- approach.

Barked: Wed Feb 11, '09 7:33am PST 
FEBRUARY 11, 2009 - OT- Computer VIRUS Warning Valentine Links

All of you have probably received this warning, but just in case, here it is again. This doesn't hot link and that's the only kind of link I know, so if you want to read the Snopes article, please copy and paste to your browser.

http://www.snopes. com/computer/ virus/valentine. asp
Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Barked: Wed Feb 11, '09 8:53am PST 
Thanks, Tessa! We had not previously been warned of this. I've sent that page to all that I knowway to go
  (Page 7 of 37: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  [Last 10 entry]