GO!

Making it work with small dogs and cats

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Dr. Zira-In- Memory

Welcome to the- planet of the- monkey dogs

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 9:53am PST 
I would really like a greyhound someday, probably not for years when of my big dogs passes on/ I love the temperament. There energy level is perfect for me and I really want to rescue one. Im nervous about the small dog/cat thing. I know the rescue would do a temperament test and I know to avoid dog parks and to muzzle the grey when it is playing outside with small dogs. Id probably crate the grey when I was at work but when Im at home an in doors would their be an issue? Someone told me that even greys that had been tested with cats could suddenly decide to chase one or a small dog. I wouldnt want to have to muzzle the grey when we were all inside, would that be necessary? How many people here have greys and small dogs. I have griffs which are the ones I worry about, they are about 5-10 lbs
[notify]
CALLIE

Callie - Where's the- Squirrel?????

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 9:50am PST 
we have a grey, a huskie, a mixed breed AND a rat terrier.......Callie has NEVER tried tochase her.......usually the foster/rescue will match you up with a grey that has less prey drive. She has never worn a muzzle in or out doors. blue dog
[notify]
Dr. Zira-In- Memory

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 4:39pm PST 
Thats nice-I got freaked by some stories on rescue websits taht really contradicted eachother. They would say greys could be placed with cats and then say they needed to be muzzled outside thinking I dont mind muzzling sometimes btu woudlnt want the poor dog stuck in a muzsle
[notify]

Reuban Tyme

45 MPH Couch- Potatoe

Barked: Thu Nov 6, '08 3:28pm PST 
We do not and have not had to muzzle Nero! He plays with our four month old golden retriever puppy just fine. I also have small children and he is perfect with them.

I do not have a cat so no clue about that!

It all depends on the dog you adopt. Tell the rescue everything about your family, pets and lifestyle so they can find the right grey for you.
[notify]
Dr. Zira-In- Memory

Barked: Fri Nov 7, '08 3:57pm PST 
This is all great info.

I think one issue for me is I love griffs and will always have one. They are great little dogs but ours does air snap if she is spooked by a small dog and they love to run and play so a rescue would have to resist her very preyish form. I would only muzzle as a cautious outside and neve ras a punishment. I love all dogs.

My reason for wanting a grey someday is how thoroughly tested they are.
[notify]