GO!

Need your advice

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Fri Oct 3, '08 8:11pm PST 
Hello to all you wonderful greys!
I have been thinking hard about adopting a retired racing greyhound. It won't be until next Jan/Feb (09), but I want to get as much information as I can to make sure I am making the right decision. We now have our own house and a fenced in yard. We have 2 dogs: Zeppelin, who is around 50 pounds and turned 1 in August, and Jagger, 10 pounds and almost 3 years old.
I am hoping to be able to volonteer with our local greyhound rescue group as of November. Here is their site: http://www.greyhoundadoption.ca/

So can you tell me all about your greys? What are the pros and cons of the breed? thinking I can't wait to hear your stories!! way to go
[notify]
Naughty

where's the- bunny?

Barked: Tue Oct 7, '08 12:40pm PST 
Hi,

It's nice to hear you are interested in Greyhounds. They are great dogs. First, I suggest you take a look at www.greytalk.com. It should have almost all the information you would ever need on greyhounds.
I have one Greyhound (and two whippets). They are a bit different from other breeds. They are prety calm dogs and don't take up much space indoors considering their size. As sprinters, they like to tear it up racing around, but tire pretty quickly (compared to say a hunting breed). So your ordinary walks mixed up with seom running every now and then should take care of their exercise.
You do have to be carefull to always have a grey on a lead ouitside of enclosed areas. If they chase something, they can be off and out of sight before you can do anything about it. Also, with your one small dog you are going to need to look for a grey with less prey drive (the rescues temperment test their dogs so you can find one that is small dog friendly). Also, while outside , it would probably be best to muzzle the grey when they are running around and playing just to play it safe.
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Barked: Thu Oct 9, '08 4:59pm PST 
Thanks for the response! How long have you had your grey?
Yes, I knew about keeping them on lead, but that doesn't really deter me much since all dogs are supposed to be on lead all the time in the city, right wink ?
As for the prey drive/temperment, that is one big reason why I am so atttracted to adoption a retired greyhound. The fact that most of the dog's personality is already known before adoption makes things a lot easier for me and my little family.
dancing
[notify]

CALLIE

Callie - Where's the- Squirrel?????

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 8:33am PST 
We read all about greys before we adopted Callie..........They are the BEST. We took our husky with us to a few meet and greets with the greyhound rescue. She and Callie kind of hit-it-off! We also have a rat terrier and a mixed breed. All our dogs are female and they all get along very well. Callie has been a wonderful addition to our family. She also has a funny sense of humor! Good luck, you won't regret it!!!!! cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9
[notify]
CALLIE

Callie - Where's the- Squirrel?????

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 8:33am PST 
We read all about greys before we adopted Callie..........They are the BEST. We took our husky with us to a few meet and greets with the greyhound rescue. She and Callie kind of hit-it-off! We also have a rat terrier and a mixed breed. All our dogs are female and they all get along very well. Callie has been a wonderful addition to our family. She also has a funny sense of humor! Good luck, you won't regret it!!!!! cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 7:44pm PST 
Thanks Callie! You sure are beautiful! I would love a brindle female of around 3 or 4 years of age. Jagger and Zep are both males and I just feel I need a female companion! BOL But I won't turn down a male. As long as they get along, right? laugh out loud
It won't be until next year and until I convince my bf... he's not too sure about having 3 dogs!! I say: Jagger is more of a cat than a dog! I don't mean it though, don't tell him I said that. Hahaha! wink
[notify]