GO!

i love greyhounds

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
GEORDI

Less talking and- more throwing.

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 4:28pm PST 
hi greyhounds and greyhound owners,
my husband and i are considering a second dog.
adopting a retired racing greyhound is high on our list. a co-worker of ours adopted one a couple of years ago and she loves him. we've met a couple of greyhounds in person and spoken with a woman who fosters them. i'm also going to read "living with a greyhound".
i just wanted as much info as i could find and dogster is a great place for info. smile i just wanted to know everyday stuff like what's their shedding like? they have such soft fur, will a curry comb take care of grooming? being off-leash, are they fine in fenced in dog parks? booties will they wear them? are they really laid back loungers like i keep hearing? are they barkers or quiet or does it depend on the specific dog? can you teach them to do tricks?
are they known for any health problems? i really appreciate any feedback.
[notify]
GEORDI

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 4:40pm PST 
hi, just thought i'd let the greyhounds know that i found an old post from october last year. it answered alot of my greyhound questions
[notify]
*~*Abby*~*- (RIP- 2004-2012)

Stunning

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 4:11pm PST 
what's their shedding like? Hmmm......they shed some in the summer.
they have such soft fur, will a curry comb take care of grooming?
not sure what a curry comb is but........most kinds will do!
being off-leash, are they fine in fenced in dog parks? FENCED-key word! But they usually love other greyhounds and other dogs! (I'm the exception! laugh out loud
booties will they wear them? We video-taped me waering booties! It was soooo funny! I don't know about other greyhounds but....I hate 'em!
are they really laid back loungers like i keep hearing? 70 miles an hour couch potato!
are they barkers or quiet or does it depend on the specific dog? I BARELY bark. I don't think many other bark,either. We're pretty quiet.
can you teach them to do tricks? Yup. smile It hurts our butts to sit,though.
are they known for any health problems? not that I know of. more/less than any other breed.

Have fun with your new saved racer!
[notify]

Suzie (Pa's- Suzanne)

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 5:25pm PST 
You said that you were going to read a book on living with greyhounds that's greyt. Here are a couple of others that you should read that will answer a lot of the questions that you have mentioned... Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies buy Lee Livingood, Adopting the racing Greyhound by Cyntiha Brannagin. Also if you would like to read about the history of the Greyhound then another good book to read would be The reign of the Greyhound also by Cyntiha Brannagin.
Good luck with you new hound.
[notify]

Stunning

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 3:25pm PST 
oh yes! Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies! That's a greyt book to read! You can prolly find it at your local library!
[notify]
Lucky CGC- -9/17/1996-2- /25/2008

RIP- Sweet- Angel

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '07 5:22pm PST 
"Adopting the Racing Greyhound" is the book that convinced Mom and Dad to seriously consider a greyhound. And, am I glad!!cheercheer
[notify]
GEORDI

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '07 8:10am PST 
hey,
thanks for your responses. i've ordered the book, Adopting a Racing Greyhound. i got it on-line from Adopt-a-Greyhound.com
its an ontario (can.) based group and their website is also very informative. the more i learn about greyhounds, the more i love them.

smile
[notify]
Suzie

Happiness is a- soft bed or sofa- or chair

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '07 11:56am PST 
If you have a barnes and noble or other book store in your area you might try those for the other books if you are intrested in them. I think that you might be able to find barnes and noble on line too, but I'm not sure of their web adderss. I'm just guessing but it might be www.barnesandnoble.com.
I'm glad that you have decided to get a grey, I don't think you'll be disapointed. They are wonderful animals.
[notify]

Stunning

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '07 10:39am PST 
Barns and Noble
[notify]
TK Belle- Deeply- Missed

Queen of- everything

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 8:08am PST 
Some greyhounds do not do well with small dogs. No matter how well you grey and the small one get along you can never leave them unsupervised, as no matter how much your grey loves the other dog ther is a part in each greyhounds brain that gets triggerd wehn soemthing small moves fast. This might not be an issues in everyday live but it definitly is when running together. A retired racer must always wear a muzzle when runnign with other dog a sthey can get very competetive while running and might nip the other dogs. Especially when running with other greys the pack instince might break through.
The book you ordered will explain all that.
Now Belle lives with our 15 pound Chi-mix completly peacefully, they love each other and she has never showed any behaviour to worry us. They are kept in seperate rooms when we are gone, which she enjoys because it gives her a break from Elliots endless attempts to play with her. othe rthan that it does not affect our lifes in any way.
If you pick a Greyhound choose one that was tested cat safe or trainable as that will raise your chances of getting a dog that will live happily with your small dog.

Greyhound are different than other dogs. You either love them or you don't. They are very sensitive, sometimes stubborn, very smart and wonderful companions. They make excellent theraphy dogs.

It is not true that Greyhounds need more excercise than other large breeds. They are sprinters and don't have long distance stamina. If you want a running buddy you will have to slowly build up their endurance.
You can never let a greyhoun dof leash except in a fenced area. Once they see something to hun they will go after it. Again not a problem as most countys have leash laws anyway.

Adopting a greyhound is a wonderful experinece, and I am sure all of us will help you in any way we can!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2