GO!

German Shepherd BARF diet

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 9:08am PST 
I have a 5 year old gsd and I want to start feeding her a raw diet. Does anyone have recipes of what you give your dogs? I need to know what to buy and how much to give per feeding. She eats twice/day. Thanks.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 11:14am PST 
The first thing you need to do is decide what kind of raw diet you want to feed. The BARF diet traditionally uses vegetables, grains, and sometimes fruit and dairy, in addition to bones and meat. The prey model diet uses only meat, bones, and organs. Because dogs aren't capable of digesting plants and dairy efficiently, I chose to feed prey model, so that's where most of my knowledge lies.

Prey model raw consists of 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ like kidney, spleen, pancreas, ect. The dog is fed 2-3% of its ideal body weight per day.

When switching a dog to raw, it's best to start with one protein source. Bone-in chicken is the favored choice because it's cheap, easily obtainable, fairly bland, and contains bone. New foods will often initially cause loose stools and bone works to firm stools up. After 1-2 weeks on bone-in chicken, after stools are looking normal, another protein can be introduced, like beef or pork. Organs are very rich and should be introduced very slowly. Balance over time is what most raw feeders aim for so don't worry about balancing every meal to the 80/10/5/5, especially in the beginning.

I would highly recommend reading through the Beginner's Guide To Prey Model Raw PDF. Prey model raw is very simple once you know what you're doing, but it's a lot to learn in the beginning. An imbalanced raw diet can be very dangerous to your dog's health so it's important to make sure you do all the necessary research.
[notify]