GO!

How much raw food should I feed my 50lb 4month old gsp?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 7:37pm PST 
I've read that I should feed him 3% of estimated adult weight(85-90 lbs) which would be around 2-3lbs of raw food per day, but I've also read 10% of current puppy weight (50 lbs) which would be 5-6 lbs of raw food a day...
Soooo,which is it? should I give him 2-3lbs, or should I give hime 5-6lbs???? HELP!!!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 8:39pm PST 
At his age, feed 2-3% of his expected adult body weight. The 10% of current body weight is only for very young pups. 5 lbs would be way more food than he should need.

Do keep in mind that the 2-3% is just a guideline. If he's looking chunky or very thin, adjust his portions as needed. And remember that a skinny puppy is better than a fat puppy. Any extra weight is hard on their joints so keep him lean.

Edited by author Thu Jun 7, '12 8:43pm PST

[notify]
Presley- Dillon

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 9:23am PST 
Thank You Oni sooo much for clarifying that for me...
Even at the lower 2-3% rate, that comes out to about 2.5lbs of raw food a day, and I don't understand how people are feeding there dogs this much raw food for only $40 or $50 dollars per month??? I'm spending MORE than that each WEEK!! Sardines cost me 2/$1.00 on sale, chicken thighs are $1.69/lb, the beef avg is $3.50/lb, and then you have the gizzards,liver,kidneys, etc., so I'm spending at least $13 dollars a day to feed my pup, and sometimes even more than that. And that's not counting treats or supplements...
Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 7:51pm PST 
It sounds like meat is pretty pricey in your area so you'll probably want to look around for other sources. Ethnic markets can be good places to get stranger meats/organs for a good price, some people get free meat off Craigslist from hunters, people cleaning out their freezer, ect., you can check for co-ops and local farms in your area, and there are some good websites like Hare-Today and My Pet Carnivore you can order from. The shipping can get a bit expensive depending on where you live (if you're near them you can pick up for free) so it's best to buy in bulk when going that route, but their prices are really good if you can place a large enough order to make the shipping worthwhile.

Do keep in mind that raw is generally most expensive when you're first starting out. As you find more and better places to buy from, costs will go down.
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 10:09am PST 
Thanks for the website information, you've been a great help...
Oh, and pet Oni for me.wave
[notify]