GO!

What is the best GSD dog food?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Abby

Have you seen my- ball?

Barked: Sat Nov 8, '08 4:30pm PST 
Ok, I know there has been some thread on this before, I just couldnt find it.

I DID read the thread "So your confused about dog food" which was an eye opener....

Since she was 6 weeks old we have been feeding Abby Eukanuba GSD special formula. We have noticed the last couple weeks that has has been gassyred face And I'm talking "clear the room" "wake you up from sleep" gas.red face (poor girl)

I know what brands are good to look for and what ingredients are good. I just wanted to know if you could suggest one that might be better for a GSD.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by author Sat Nov 8, '08 4:53pm PST

[notify]
Medea

Ekko~Forever in- our hearts

Barked: Sat Nov 8, '08 4:46pm PST 
Well I have to say that I feel grain free is a good bet. What ever brand you choose I would look for that. As someone who has fed Medea all sorts of different food, grain free has been the best. We feed Orijen. Its amazing. She was also on Royal Cannin, which has a German Shepherd formula. A few pups on here feed that. I liked it very much but Medea is allergic to grains and chicken so I switched, but honestly it was a decent food, and a good price.
[notify]
CH Snowy,- CGC, TDI,- HC, HIC

Born to be- wild!!

Barked: Sat Nov 8, '08 6:54pm PST 
Hi everyone!!!

I myself use Canidae Life Cycle Formula with Lamb and Rice. I am pretty happy with it. However at $46 for a 35lb bag, it isn't cheap especially when you have multiple dogs.

I did come across this post on a White Shepherd forum. "Jean" is Jean Reeves, the co-author of White Shepherd book and the president of American White Shepherd Association.(AWSA). She mentions a cheaper alternative to a brand name dog food...so I thought I would share:

"Exceed's Chicken and Rice Performance formula is identical to Eukanuba performance formula at less than half the cost. It is very high in protein and fat, but I have found that in order to keep weight on my extremely active dogs, they need the extra calories. When the gluten problems were around, they had signs hanging on all the shelves stating that all product were purchased and manufactured here in the US and the Exceed foods were cleared.

If you call your local Sam's and request the product - they may be able to get it in for you. OR you can order it on line and have it delivered to your local store for you to pick up.
Jean"
[notify]

Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Sun Nov 9, '08 3:53am PST 
I'm not sure what's best for GSDs specifically, but for now I feed Cookie Diamond Naturals. It's definitely not the best food out there, but it's better than most of what we can find in my area. And it's about $20 at the pet store.
I would feed Cookie raw because the raw diet has done so much for my other dog, but I can't afford raw for both dogs. At least Cookie gets bits and pieces of Treader's food.
No one food or diet works best for every single dog. Most dogs, probably, but not every single dog.

Edited by author Sun Nov 9, '08 3:57am PST

[notify]
Samantha - (9/8/98 to- 7/30/08)

Samantha- forever faithful

Barked: Sun Nov 9, '08 5:49am PST 
Unfortunatley I didn't read the food thread until we were down to one dog. I will always feel guilty for not educating myself before that and feeding them junk.

So I know I don't have a GSD at this time (but still find myself on this forum the most) but we now feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness formula. It is high protien with oatmeal as the only grain. We also switched to all natural treats. Sierra loves it.

I have to say though be careful of calorie count. While I adjusted the amount of dog food I pretty much feed the same amount of treats. (I also have a feeling my husband has been sneaking her scaps). I took Sierra in for her pre-op work and she had gained 13lbs in 3 months
shock

I couldn't believe it. She is now on a diet and rehab/exercise plan and will be reevaluated in a few weeks.
[notify]
Sirius Black

Always there to- guide the way.

Barked: Sun Nov 9, '08 7:39am PST 
Wow, you have no idea the can of worms you're opening with this question shock

I would feed Orijen if it was available in my area, but unfortunately it isn't and being a graduate student, I can't afford the shipping fees to order it. So instead I feed wellness core, because it's the best kibble i could find in this area. No corn or wheat products, carbohydrates come from oatmeal, also contains meat from "meal" or dehydrated sources so the water loss during processing doesn't put the protein sources lower on the ingredients list than where their wet weight places them. Drawbacks include that the company does not own their own slaughter house, so this concerns me a little. The company was also recently sold by the family who previously owned and operated it.

I also add fresh ground flax seed (pre-ground flax is oxidized quickly with exposure to air and therefor not biologically active), and pure pumpkin puree to his morning and evening meals due to some research I read about GSDs lacking an IgA (or mucosal/intestinal) immune response. I've only found limited experimentation with dosage, but retinal is one of the things we research in my lab and I know it's effects on immune response and decided to supplement extra VitA into his diet to be on the safe side (we are an immunology/ molecular bio lab). The pumpkin also adds a small amount of fiber.

Sirius also gets 1500 mg of glucosamine per day for his joints, the minimum dosage shown to be effective in synovial fluid accumulation is 1200 mg in clinical trials, so I'm always sure to supplement at least that level, but no more than 1500 mg/d.

As you can tell, I'm obsessive so I'm sure most of this isn't necessary, but seeing as how I could find no peer reviewed publications on the adversities of doing this, only positives, I do it anyway.
[notify]
Kelly

Barked: Sun Nov 9, '08 9:42am PST 
I feed Solid Gold, and also used it for my previous GSD's.
[notify]
Luther

Let's play- frisbee!

Barked: Sun Nov 9, '08 11:33am PST 
We have been aternating Luther between Fromm's five star, and Taste of the Wild.

Bear has some weight issues, so he has been on a more restricted calorie product from Solid Gold, alternating with food from Wellness Core.

There are many good brands out there, and sometimes its a matter of what you can get consistently in your area. I found a lot of helpful information on nutritional content in foods on this link:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
[notify]
Rosie- *FOUND*

www.findrosie.co- m

Barked: Mon Nov 10, '08 3:16am PST 
The best GSD food is what your individual dog thrives on!

I think we have most of the premium kibbles and raw covered by the regulars here. I feed Solid Gold Wolf King, and Rosie does incredibly well on it. I'd suggested it to Maddie and King's pack - didn't agree with them at all. So when you find a food that works for you and your dog, hooray!
[notify]
Medea

Ekko~Forever in- our hearts

Barked: Mon Nov 10, '08 6:23am PST 
On that same note, I believe Maddy and King tried Orijen and it didnt agree with them either. What ever your dog does well on is that is best. No matter the brand name. We all try to do our best. Honestly, I struggle to be able to feed Medea Orijen, its $85.00 bucks for a 35lb bag, but because of her allergies I have to. Constantly changing her food was expensive, and stressful for both of us. I'm sure I could have found something more suitable budget wise but once I found what worked I stuck with it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9