GO!

Full-grown size

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jedi Knight CGC ThD CA

PhD CGC- Evaluator

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 2:09pm PST 
We got Jedi at 4 months (she had worms and was skinny). She is now 7 months and filling out good. When should she be close to her adult size? 18mo? 24mo? I had read that at 6 mos most dogs are half their adult weight.
[notify]
Kreuzer

All your cats- are belong to me

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 3:02pm PST 
Actually, they're sitting around half their adult weight at 4 months, more-so... Of course that wouldn't be accurate if they weren't in ideal condition.

At one year, they're usually around their full height, while at 2 years, they're pretty much finished filling out (though there are some lines that may not finish completely maturing till almost three years).

At 6 months of age, they're probably sitting around ¾ of their adult weight.
[notify]
Medea

Ekko~Forever in- our hearts

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 3:55pm PST 
Agreed. 1 year is pretty much full height. 2 years is when they are done filling out. Thats is exactly how Medea grew. And ears first before the rest! BOL
[notify]

Kreuzer

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 4:15pm PST 
Haha... Yeah, for Kreuz, he took some time catching up to his ears and paws! Gotta love awkward growth stages.

I was going to throw in, for an example, Kreuzer's weight increased like this:
3 months - around 37 lbs
4 months - around 49 lbs
5 months - around 61 lbs
6 months - around 74 lbs
12 months - 87 lbs

He's 15 months old now, and weighing in at around 92 lbs or so., everyone's guessing he'll finish off around 100 lbs, give or take.

He hit 26 inches at the withers, around the age of 11 - 12 months.
[notify]
Jedi Knight CGC ThD CA

PhD CGC- Evaluator

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '07 7:15pm PST 
Thank you! When we got Jedi, she could fit underneath Boo (our Siberian Husky), but now she is just about Boo's height (Boo is 21" at shoulders, Jedi maybe 19"?).
It's been 3 months.
We were just told by someone that she is going to be a small shepherd, and I wondered.

Edited by author Thu Aug 2, '07 7:18pm PST

[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 6:50am PST 
Well, some people also aren't used to seeing shepherds that are breed standard! The AKC gives height, the SV (German breed standard) gives height and weight

Males 60-65cm (23.6 - 25.6 inches)
30 - 40 kg (66 - 88 pounds)

Females 55 - 60cm (21.6 - 23.6 inches)
22 - 32 kg (48.5 - 70.5 pounds)

Both of mine are skating the top end of the standard and I hear all the time about how tiny Rosie is. She's 23 inches and 68 pounds! People actually tell me that she must be mixed with a smaller breed.

I don't remember what they were at 7 months, but Vincent was 60 pounds at 6 months and completely filled out he's 84 right now. Rosie was 50 pounds at 6 months. They were both done growing, heightwise, at 18 months. Vincent kept filling out until he turned 4. I think Rosie's about done, she's 2 1/2.
[notify]
Jedi Knight CGC ThD CA

PhD CGC- Evaluator

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 9:19am PST 
I just checked Jedi's vet records with weights.
5/17 (5 1/2 months old) - 24 #
6/12 (6 1/2 months old) - 34 #
I should get my husband to weigh her and see where she is at now...
[notify]
Effie- Bahnhof

I enjoy being a- girl (dog)

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 10:00am PST 
Both of mine fit into AKC range, and I got them both at 1 year at about the same weight they are.

Effie is 65 lb. and is fine. We get asked what she is mixed with too...

Trets is 85 lb. he looks like he could fill out even though he is a big guy.
[notify]
Kreuzer

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 11:16am PST 
Surprisingly (and saddly) I also get the "wow, your shepherd is small!" comments... It's irritating that most people don't know what a true shepherd should be like. (Not to mention all the people who complain that I don't feed him enough... ugh)

Kreuzer's Sire is 26 inches and 75 lbs, his dam is 24 inches and 70 lbs, so technically he grew more then he should've, haha... It's not uncommon for small females to be 55 - 65 lbs at 2 years old though. The German Shepherd was intended to be a medium sized dog, not a large one.
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '07 4:44am PST 
Oh, I hear you on "you're not feeding enough"! I keep both of mine as slim as possible - Vincent has arthritis and the less weight he has, the easier it is on him. Our vet says that people are so used to seeing heavier dogs that they think having a waistline is proof of a starving dog. Rosie might agree with the masses though, she's always up for more food!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3