GO!

Pano(growing pains)

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Onyx

Christmas- Surprise!

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '07 4:07pm PST 
Have any of you sheppies had this while you were growing up, and how did you get through it? I have it right now and my mom cannot excersise or train me cause I am in some pain! i am 8.5 months old and am pretty tall/75 lbs. I am taking a few supplements and mom is feeding us Raw and some kibble too. But any suggestions would be helpful. Woof!
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '07 5:18am PST 
Vincent had a few bouts with pano. When it flaring, keep exercise to a minimum and depending on where the pain is, try simple obedience routines to do some mental exhaustion. When Onyx is feeling good, try lower impact exercise like swimming.

Check the calcium and protein content of the kibble you're feeding too. It's not 100% proven that high levels of both cause pano, but it doesn't improve anything.

The other thing - if you decide to use pain meds, make sure you keep the precription refilled. We had a hefty ER bill because naturally I forgot and Vincent had his biggest flare on on Saturday night!
[notify]
Medea

Ekko~Forever in- our hearts

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '07 5:29am PST 
I dont have any first hand experiance with Pano but the trainer I worked with did. One of her GSD's grew waaaay to fast for his body to catch up. She had him on supplements which helped, alot. I think the no training and exercise really did the trick though.

Good luck though.
[notify]

Spencer - *2002 - 2012*

It's ALL about- me!!!!!

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '07 9:21am PST 
Spencer had a horrible time with Pano...sometimes he'd freeze in place and scream which broke my heart. I had to keep everything low key and at the time the vet put him on Deramax which helped tremendously.
[notify]
Onyx

Christmas- Surprise!

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '07 6:14pm PST 
thank you for your responses! I sent you all a bone~woof!! I have been on Nutro Natural large puppy, then large breed adult. Mom is in the process of switching me to Chicken soup for the dog lover and I get a RAW meal once a day, with some yogurt. I just think I am growing too fast for my bones! Now that I am a little older, my growth is slowing , so maybe it will pass soon...dog
[notify]
Onyx

Christmas- Surprise!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '07 7:26pm PST 
spencer, I know how you felt! and I hope it will get better. I don't like the Chicken soup food and am really LOVING the RAW diet! Mom wants to keep me on kibble too so she knows that I am getting a balanced diet. I eat it so fast that I barfed it up this morning-turkey neck-then I ate it again, mom said YUKKKKK but I was in control! Its all goodcheer
[notify]
Saber

Du bist mein- schatz

Barked: Sun Aug 23, '09 12:33pm PST 
I know this thread is old..but i wanted to reply that my boy has the same problems..off and on he is lame in the front and the vet did x-rays and confirmed "Pano" right now he is doing good.He is almost 8 months old and 80lbs. He is my boy and i hate it when he goes through this.It should stop when he is full grown.
[notify]
Alexander

Buster's baby- brother!

Barked: Sun Aug 23, '09 2:45pm PST 
Alex had '2' bouts of it. He got some anti-inflammatories and kept "quiet" (if possible) and within a couple of days he was back to normal.
[notify]
*needs a name*

Barked: Fri Aug 28, '09 7:00pm PST 
I'm really scared after reading this. I hope my puppy doesn't have it silenced
[notify]
Rook

Big Baby Always- Whining

Barked: Sun Sep 6, '09 1:38pm PST 
Nothing to be scared of. Panosteitis stops at 2 years, our vet said, and it was true for Rook. He had bad pain and cried out, which scared us, but the best thing is to stay calm when this happens. Deramaxx for a few days worked great for Rook. It would come back a few months later, and then meds for 3 days again. I am sure the pain is bad, but don't worry, it's like growing pains, and the meds don't have to be given regularly, just when it is occurring, and then the prescription is for about 5 days.dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2