GO!

Implusive husband buys A Doberman Now what to do eith either one!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chet !

Chetta- Cheezburger &- Chetty Bang- Bang

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 9:44am PST 
Hi All! Need help! My Wonderful Loving Most affectionate Doberman (Charles) will not stop "soiling" in the middle of the night? He is otherwise PERFECT! Minus the couch & all the carpeting he destroyed (well worth it of course), I am at home with him all day & night & cater to his every need, is it normal for a Doberman not to be housebroken at the age of 14 months?
Dorry
[notify]
Fungi, BH

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom- Zoomiiieeesss!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 18, '09 5:42am PST 
Here's what I did with Fungi. I tethered him to me with his leash. That way if he started to sniff around, I could get him outside right away. When he did potty outside, I'd have a "big party" for him with lots of praise and treats. It didn't take long for him to figure it out.
Also, in the areas that he did soil in the house, use a cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. It completely removes the smell and he will be less likely to go to a favorite spot that he's marked.
As for the destructive behavior (if he's still doing it), he's probably bored. Dobies are very smart and with nothing to occupy them, they can be very creative with inventing "fun" stuff to do. laugh out loud
Have plenty of durable chew toys (peanut butter stuffed frozen kongs are great!) for him. Take him for a long walk and throw some obedience in during the walk. That seems to tire them out a lot quicker since it's physical and mental stimulation going on at the same time. And if you're not able to be with him (have to go somewhere or something), a crate can be your best friend. One just large enough for him to lay and turn around comfortably. It will take some getting used to but if done correctly, it can become his little sanctuary. Dogs don't generally like to eat or sleep where they've gone potty. I would recommend putting him in there while you're sleeping also since you've said he goes potty in the house at night.

I hope some of this helps.

Edited by author Fri Dec 18, '09 5:43am PST

[notify]